V-Twin Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2064 Posts

·
Registered
17,010 Posts
Yea... I appreciate the vote of support..I find it difficult to walk past the little Sportster Dragbike..then I gotta get by the trusty Shovelhead!!! Poor FXRP is suffering from neglect..and lack of??? Time Mostly!!!
CRS will do that to a person. Ask me how I know.

Reactions: Racepres

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
I completely ran out of beer and smokes halfway through, and had to do a bit of grinding on the shift linkage nut as to not hit the case.

Had the basket in etc then realised I forgot the damn bendix and stuff go in first. Cool slapped everything together and realized after I got the comp tight that I had the primary chain backwards.

My kids were running around and wanting to bug dad, so I guess I got distracted. Lol

Starting to look like a bike again... ill have pipes back on it tomorrow and see if she will fire up. I'm eager.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
I'll give you $500 for it with free s&h. Young parents don't know how to properly punish their children. When I told mine I would skin them alive I meant business.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
643 Posts
@captainhook455 apparently telling them I would make them wish they died in the womb wasnt bad enough. Then again, they are MY kids. Hahaha they said do it and mama bear came out on the porch before an ass whooping ensued. You can guess who got the ass whooping from there.

But the ol Saucy Wench is running and riding. 10000% better now that I can reach the pegs.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
FXRCT_33.jpg

FXRCT_222.jpg

I spent the weekend installing FXRT hardbags on my FXRC. Part of that process involved modifying a set of 12" Harley air shocks to fit. Left side required shaving about 1/16" off the eye to move it away from the pulley. Right side required a tiny bit of shaving but not much. Air nipple is mounted to the frame just under the seat on the right side. Easy access. Aired them up and they work fine. I've got a set of 13" air shocks on the shelf just in case these don't ride like I want them too. We'll see what my lower back says.

Greg

·
Registered
1986 fxrd
16 Posts
Tightened all loose hardware. The old S&S 124 keeps me busy.
H from down in the southern hemisphere , im about a month into ownership of an 86 fxr . Plans to go down the s&s path after this summer . Would appreciate your input as a proper big block owner ,
How many miles ? How easy is she to live with ? And how much fun is twisting the throttle :) ?
Cheers

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
View attachment 266666

View attachment 266667

I spent the weekend installing FXRT hardbags on my FXRC. Part of that process involved modifying a set of 12" Harley air shocks to fit. Left side required shaving about 1/16" off the eye to move it away from the pulley. Right side required a tiny bit of shaving but not much. Air nipple is mounted to the frame just under the seat on the right side. Easy access. Aired them up and they work fine. I've got a set of 13" air shocks on the shelf just in case these don't ride like I want them too. We'll see what my lower back says.

Greg
How much did you need to take off narrowing the bottom eye of those Shocks??
Thanks

·
Registered
00 SPCNS FXR S&S 124
11 Posts
H from down in the southern hemisphere , im about a month into ownership of an 86 fxr . Plans to go down the s&s path after this summer . Would appreciate your input as a proper big block owner ,
How many miles ? How easy is she to live with ? And how much fun is twisting the throttle :) ?
Cheers
18K miles As compared to stock, the 124 is a horrid vibrator but the fun factor is worth it. There's a story behind my bike, I had a Pro Street V-rod big bore and, stroke that ran 10:50's in the 1/4 mile. There were two 124 FXR's here both claiming they would dust my V-rod but wouldn't run them. Long story short, I sold the V-rod, rode one of the FXRs that came up for sale for a steal and bought it. As for a race between the two, the FXR wouldn't come close but my love affair with FXRs wins over. After all, a 1983 was my first new Harley an old Shovel.
Any S&S motor is far superior to OEM HD for super performance dependability.

·
Registered
427 Posts
How much did you need to take off narrowing the bottom eye of those Shocks??
Thanks
Shock_22.jpg

I took off between 1/16" and 1/8'. You've got to have a good Dremel and nerves of steel! The mark indicates where I started and did a little shaving to get a little more clearance. I also took a pair of vice grips to bend the outboard tab on the shock mount on the swingarm just a hair to get a tad more clearance. Not to much bending there or the bottom bolt won't line up with the hole on the other side. In the end I got a bit more than two matchbooks worth of clearance between the pulley and the shock boot cover. Note: Since I swapped to the FXRT hardbags and brackets, it puts the shock in the 1986 and earlier more upright position. You will also have to trim the belt guard somewhat. Again, the Dremel is your friend.

Hope this is helpful. Remember the 11th Commandment: "Thou shalt NOT tighten any bolts on a Harley until everything is mocked up and clearances checked!"

Greg

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
View attachment 266676

I took off between 1/16" and 1/8'. You've got to have a good Dremel and nerves of steel! The mark indicates where I started and did a little shaving to get a little more clearance. I also took a pair of vice grips to bend the outboard tab on the shock mount on the swingarm just a hair to get a tad more clearance. Not to much bending there or the bottom bolt won't line up with the hole on the other side. In the end I got a bit more than two matchbooks worth of clearance between the pulley and the shock boot cover. Note: Since I swapped to the FXRT hardbags and brackets, it puts the shock in the 1986 and earlier more upright position. You will also have to trim the belt guard somewhat. Again, the Dremel is your friend.

Hope this is helpful. Remember the 11th Commandment: "Thou shalt NOT tighten any bolts on a Harley until everything is mocked up and clearances checked!"

Greg
I been knowing the "golden rule" for a very long time... thanks to a Talented mentor!!!
Good info... thanks

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Apparently drag racing the old '83 [with '93 Power Plant] was kinda hard on the old girl... upon inspection [it is raining today] I found broken Exhaust System mounts.. While i had the Exhaust off... I decided to test fit, a 2:1 I have earmarked for the '94 FXRP... Think I can make this Work....

Think I'm gonna like this....

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
LOL... Biggest concern is holding that heavy ass muffler Up... Dangling wayyyy back there...
I know it is a Severe NoNo... but, I keep eyeing that stupid donut on the older Frames... Wonder just how Pliable I can get one... I would never in a million years on a Shovelhead again... But... Just thinkin aloud here!!!!

·
Registered
1986 fxrd
16 Posts
18K miles As compared to stock, the 124 is a horrid vibrator but the fun factor is worth it. There's a story behind my bike, I had a Pro Street V-rod big bore and, stroke that ran 10:50's in the 1/4 mile. There were two 124 FXR's here both claiming they would dust my V-rod but wouldn't run them. Long story short, I sold the V-rod, rode one of the FXRs that came up for sale for a steal and bought it. As for a race between the two, the FXR wouldn't come close but my love affair with FXRs wins over. After all, a 1983 was my first new Harley an old Shovel.
Any S&S motor is far superior to OEM HD for super performance dependability.
Cheers , yep its not always about the speed but the grin factor :)
Im leaning towards the v111 , my inner engineer likes the squareness and I like doing long rides .

·
Registered
1986 fxrd
16 Posts
LOL... Biggest concern is holding that heavy ass muffler Up... Dangling wayyyy back there...
I know it is a Severe NoNo... but, I keep eyeing that stupid donut on the older Frames... Wonder just how Pliable I can get one... I would never in a million years on a Shovelhead again... But... Just thinkin aloud here!!!!
Im sure that muffler would be lighter without the baffles ...

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Im sure that muffler would be lighter without the baffles ...
Maybe... Not much...and a Look inside reveals some serious thought to the layout of the baffle system,
I like that... I know from experience...Loud aint fast... or I would go sans Muffler...be a real Dog then!!! But loud!!

·
Registered
1986 fxrd
16 Posts
Maybe... Not much...and a Look inside reveals some serious thought to the layout of the baffle system,
I like that... I know from experience...Loud aint fast... or I would go sans Muffler...be a real Dog then!!! But loud!!
Hah yep loud aint fast , more like annoying . Maybe just find a nice shorter muffler , leverage is the enemy

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Hah yep loud aint fast , more like annoying . Maybe just find a nice shorter muffler , leverage is the enemy
Yes... Leverage is gonna be a big Problem here.. If i fail... there are Options... some quite pricey, but... **** Small businesses are Booming in our State....NOT

·
Registered
1986 fxrd
16 Posts
Yes... Leverage is gonna be a big Problem here.. If i fail... there are Options... some quite pricey, but... **** Small businesses are Booming in our State....NOT
Price is usually the limiting factor , I did however figure out a few years back that cheaper women meant more free cash for bikes and booze , feel free to waste the rest ..

1961 - 1980 of 2064 Posts