V-Twin Forum banner

1841 - 1847 of 1847 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
My bike has been popping and farting while cold and missing when warm, so guessed I had an intake manifold problem; Since I've been collecting parts for the past few months to swap from the Kiehin to a CV carb, I figured it was time to get on with it. As with anything, once you start tearing into the problem, you find it's a bit more complicated than originally thought. Anyway, I found it best to remove the tank to get at everything. I also had to fab and weld another choke cable mounting on the opposite side of the top engine mount bracket since the CV carb cable is on the opposite side. I'm waiting for a choke cable to arrive before I can finish. It's not a bad job anyway.

Greg

Attachments

·
Loctite Enthusiast
50 Posts
It hasn't blown the Head Gasket???? Miracle I say
Anyway... "feel" one of the bolts that is Tight... duplicate that "feel" on the Poor one... better than letting it Bounce about...
Afraid that sucker would already be torn down at Our farm...I'm betting I can have an Engine In, in the time it takes to dis-assemble and re-assemble the Top End...Cheaper too these days..
Ended up pounding the socket on a number of times and was able to torque it to specs with the torque adapter. All is well. Runs like a champ; just got lucky.

·
Loctite Enthusiast
50 Posts
Today I finished up changing my 82 FXRS headlight from a sealed beam to an LED. Everybody knows what a pain it is to try and fit an LED into the bucket with that jumble of wires and relay crammed in there. I thought about removing the bucket and welding in a one inch extension, but that would require splicing all of the wiring back together. I did a conversion that may not work for everyone else, but just fine for me. It’s not for the purist, but then again, a purist wouldn’t put an LED bulb in the bucket. 😀 I think it looks pretty cool. If anyone else is interested, I’ll post the links for the LED headlight, as well as the bucket rubber I used. Basically I superglued an additional rubber boot to the original boot and it is just as stiff as the original and works fine.

·
Loctite Enthusiast
50 Posts
Just another shot of the headlight.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I hope there's more than cyanoacrylate adhesive making that joint but I like the mod. BTW late Sportster buckets with H4 bulbs but with the stock round contour exist because I have one. I've not gotten around to checking LED fit yet. I like the welding idea and while I'm happy to get rid of bulky bucket connectors and hardwire instead, you could safely weld an extension with the bucket in place by grounding to the bucket shell, tacking the extension, unbolting the bucket from the ball cap, finish welding, then blending and spray bombing the bucket (welding blankets are cheap and handy for such things). I've welded on many bikes and cars but I always ground within a couple inches of the weld. Electricity isn't magic, even high freq. Depinning the connectors is tedious but not horrible, I just prefer reclaiming the space they waste. (Nice paint, too. I like deep purples.) One way you can have some insurance would be to clamp two or three pieces of stainless aircraft safety wire (every mechanic should have a roll even if they never safety wire anything) under both rings. It will conform to the boots but not snap if the glue lets go and it's discreetly thin. .025" would be my preference. One joint could be safetied between the clamp screws with the other strand placed at the 12 o'clock position so ya only have to fiddle with one strand while clamping. Amazon.com: Malin - MS20995C Stainless Steel Safety Wire \ Lockwire, Canister, 0.025 Dia, 596 ft. by Malin Company: Home Improvement

·
Registered
871 Posts
Don't discard FXR crash bars if you have a mower. This bent one one came off my bro's wreck and was only ~3/8" tight on the Craftsman (American Yard Products, they make many brands of mower) LT2000. The bar makes a great brush guard and push handle. Two Grade 8 bolts per side through the stock crash bar holes worked great so I only had to drill the frame channels. I had a shoulder replaced and this lets me push the mower with my butt or shove it by foot. I took off the pegs as they're too far forward but they may find their way back as mids. Air Force vets may recognize the bomb lug towing eye at the six o'clock position. Front tires are solid foam and rears are ATV tires.

1841 - 1847 of 1847 Posts