V-Twin Forum banner
2441 - 2460 of 2477 Posts

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
Don't recall shimming the Breather...
I think I recall an end play tolerance on the breather, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it is.
But maybe I have it confused with the cam.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Question... How much end-play are you shooting for on that Cam??
In my Experience, Looser side of Spec is better than Tighter... for My Needs... Never ...ever burned a Shim!!!!
OK, except on a 4-speed Sporty Tranny!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,723 Posts
In my Experience, Looser side of Spec is better than Tighter... for My Needs... Never ...ever burned a Shim!!!!
In the spec is all I worry about.

What's really fun is when you are flat rating a cam change, and the tappet blocks were not removed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I set it in the middle of the range a loose .008, thats following the harley manual instructions of mounting the cam cover with 4 bolts, but no torquing of the bolts then checking the end play.

You think this ok?

I still havent torqued the cam cover yet. back to work tomorrow for another 3 weeks, hopefully i can get on the road by autumn.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I set it in the middle of the range a loose .008, thats following the harley manual instructions of mounting the cam cover with 4 bolts, but no torquing of the bolts then checking the end play.

You think this ok?

I still havent torqued the cam cover yet. back to work tomorrow for another 3 weeks, hopefully i can get on the road by autumn.
Personally ... I torque the Cover with Empty cavity... Makes me feel good just in case the gasket squishes a bit..
then by the book, usually shooting for 10 thou. endplay..
At 10 your method is Fine... Under??? IDK... I rarely go Under...Never on Purpose...

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
The instructions that came with my Andrews cam said .010-.015 end play with crushed gasket. Harley manual says .001-.016 after allowing for crushed gasket dim of .006. I am happy with .013 with the cover and old gasket installed and bolts snug.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Thermodyne, your bike looks great!

Yesterday I went over to my friend's shop and he let me use the lift to adjust primary chain and change the primary oil. I have been cursing a drip/leak and come to find out I must have had a dyslexic moment when I last put teflon tape on the drain plug. I wrapped it in the wrong direction and I know better.

He's got a friend's Confederate in there with a Merch 120 stuffed in there. I didn't ride but I sat on it and was totally amazed at how light it was and took no effort to move it side to side. It must be a tire roasting wheelie machine!

He was working on an old Ironhead with serious patina. The motor was froze up from sitting and he had put ATF in the cylinders. He said "There. It's un-stuck now." as he was cleaning up ATF that had shot like 10' out of the spark plug holes.HaHa, what a mess, it was coming out the front exhaust too. I saw that he had aftermarket heads on ther that I don't recognize. I think they were marked TRD-CY. Anyone know?

It also had a rear brake like Therm's... except... not nice. HaHa!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Ronnie Trock SR Jugs... He made a Jillion of them..
I still have a Plethora of Ronnie's Parts, may even be a trap door left around here... he was Famous for them... Almost as Famous as his Welders Hat!!!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Ronnie Trock SR Jugs... He made a Jillion of them..
I still have a Plethora of Ronnie's Parts, may even be a trap door left around here... he was Famous for them... Almost as Famous as his Welders Hat!!!
Thanks Racepres, found this on the Forum.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Ron was a "One Off" I even have an Ironhead "X-Head" setup.. When I showed up at the race with that he said..."Holy ****!! You actually did it!!" "does it Work??"
Well It worked... wasn't Better, wasn't worser.. Big PITA so I went back to single modified "G" and continued... One day soon I am gonna put the X-Head back... just as a Tribute

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought this ignition cheap on the internet, but someone has cut the wires very short. You think its no problem to just solder and extend them? will be a bit bulky under sheath at the joins.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Alloy wheel

2441 - 2460 of 2477 Posts