V-Twin Forum banner
2401 - 2420 of 2435 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Back end is back togeather. Brake seems fine, good pedal. Shocks took a little jiggering to get the spacers sorted out, but ended up fitting well. Ne adjuster blocks were a pain, the swing arm had narrowed up at the slots. Took a big hammer to get the full sized blocks into the swing arm. I'll get the pipes back on and start in on the front next. Calipers, emulators and digital gauges.

View attachment 273124

View attachment 273126
Did you use your original master cylinder with the new caliper? I think I want to do the same on my 85.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bought a used CV carb online today, was a good deal so I just went ahead and bought it.

I think my bike 1985 FXRS, has an old screamin eagle 40mm carb and air filter but uses the original air filter cover.

looking at the pics of the cv, it might fit my rubber inlet manifold adapter.
question is will my original 85 air filter cover fit with the CV carb and will the CV be any better then the old screamin eagle carb?
Gas Machine Auto part Font Metal

Bicycle part Household hardware Gas Nickel Machine

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part Nickel

Gas Font Engineering Machine Nut

Bottle cap Font Circle Motor vehicle Emblem

Gas Font Engineering Machine Nut
Bottle cap Font Circle Motor vehicle Emblem
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part Nickel
Bicycle part Household hardware Gas Nickel Machine
Gas Machine Auto part Font Metal

·
Super Moderator
22,600 Posts
Did you use your original master cylinder with the new caliper? I think I want to do the same on my 85.
Yes I did. I based that on the 2000 FXR's using the same cylinder as the 94. And the 94 had the same rear caliper dimensions as the 84. Other than the need to fab a bracket, the only issue is the change from double flair over to banjo fittings. I thought it would be an easy fitting to find, but I ended up having to get it from a place that specialized in hydraulic fittings. My normal automotive sources didn't list it.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Bought a used CV carb online today, was a good deal so I just went ahead and bought it.

I think my bike 1985 FXRS, has an old screamin eagle 40mm carb and air filter but uses the original air filter cover.

question is will my original 85 air filter cover fit with the CV carb and will the CV be any better then the old screamin eagle carb? View attachment 273132
View attachment 273131
View attachment 273130
View attachment 273128
View attachment 273129

View attachment 273128 View attachment 273129 View attachment 273130 View attachment 273131 View attachment 273132
Just send that push on SE butterfly carb to me!!!
or... I can Trade for a two bolt flange type...which I was kina sure your bike came with, tho thems in the Know, changed intake manifolds!!!
The CV will have better Manner, certainly.

·
Super Moderator
22,600 Posts

question is will my original 85 air filter cover fit with the CV carb and will the CV be any better then the old screamin eagle carb?
Properly set up, the CV will be more drivable and more responsive than the 38mm butterfly carb.

With that said, the carb you have is for an 88 883 sportster originally sold in Cali. So it came without an accelerator pump. It's obviously had the bowl changed to give it the accelerator pump, (many got that upgrade) but you need to go through and see if it got the jet changes that go with that. One set of jets uses the pumpless needle, and a totally different set of jets works when using a pump needle.

Past that, you'll need cables for a CV, and you'd be well advised to find a CV intake manifold and skip the adapters. You also might want to change that plastic fuel inlet out while it off and on the bench. Its easy to do on the bench, less so when on the scooter.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
When you coming back down this way. I'm running out of room to store crap....uh, motorcycle parts.
IDK
Planned this year... But... Being a Cranky old SOB, I will Not expend any monetary contributions to the Current Economic Conditions... I just Wont "spend" like I used to...

aside... When we mow the lawn Now.. we Stop when our usual lawn maintenance budget is consumed... lookin kinda Ratty... but IDC
Kinda the same with Gas Money ya know!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Properly set up, the CV will be more drivable and more responsive than the 38mm butterfly carb.

With that said, the carb you have is for an 88 883 sportster originally sold in Cali. So it came without an accelerator pump. It's obviously had the bowl changed to give it the accelerator pump, (many got that upgrade) but you need to go through and see if it got the jet changes that go with that. One set of jets uses the pumpless needle, and a totally different set of jets works when using a pump needle.

Past that, you'll need cables for a CV, and you'd be well advised to find a CV intake manifold and skip the adapters. You also might want to change that plastic fuel inlet out while it off and on the bench. Its easy to do on the bench, less so when on the scooter.
Will cv carb work with my original k&n filter and round airfilter cover?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Original to the Bike??? or the original on that Butterfly SE??

in '85 there was Not a CV on it... CV requires a specific bolt pattern to CV
Pretty sure its original to the bike.
Original to the Bike??? or the original on that Butterfly SE??
in '85 there was Not a CV on it... CV requires a specific bolt pattern to CV
Its original to the Butterfly se, But if I do go ahead and install the cv later on I would like to keep the original cover.
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I noticed a bit of extra play in the clutch lever so I pulled the derby cover to adjust and noticed the entire clutch (Primo) had a little wobble. My first thought was clutch hub bearing, but as I got into the disassembly I found the clutch hub nut to be loose, so I torqued to spec, going to keep an eye on it, wondering if it's a sign of a cracked hub?

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Next is a set of new brake rotors, minimum thickness is 4.5mm, I'm at 4mm.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Pretty sure its original to the bike.

Its original to the Butterfly se, But if I do go ahead and install the cv later on I would like to keep the original cover.

Originally that Bike came with a Ka-Sneeze, butterfly carb..

V-Strum; Anytime I found that clutch nut loose... the Hub was split..
when was it apart last??

·
Registered
561 Posts
I noticed a bit of extra play in the clutch lever so I pulled the derby cover to adjust and noticed the entire clutch (Primo) had a little wobble. My first thought was clutch hub bearing, but as I got into the disassembly I found the clutch hub nut to be loose, so I torqued to spec, going to keep an eye on it, wondering if it's a sign of a cracked hub?

View attachment 273144
Next is a set of new brake rotors, minimum thickness is 4.5mm, I'm at 4mm.
Can you describe what that "extra play" feels like?

Greg

2401 - 2420 of 2435 Posts