V-Twin Forum banner
2301 - 2314 of 2314 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Pipe fit is an odd thing on FXR's.. if you have more than a couple in the shop... take any exhaust system, and mount it ... really mount it like yer gonna run it... on each of them.. from my experience... the same exhaust will fit very Differently, on each... betting one of them will fit so poorly that ya cant use it!!!.. throw in some non standard components...and i can guarantee it will be worser!!!
That would explain the wrestling match I got into with my Supertrapp mounting bracket.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
That would explain the wrestling match I got into with my Supertrapp mounting bracket.
Yes.. I have a Screamin Eagle 2into1 that has been on 3 different FXR's
ended up back on the first FXR I had put it onto..One of them it simply was a No Go... Not Happenin!!!
It may be noted that I am perhaps unusually fussy about the Fit of the Headpipe into the port... and no they are Not all the same.. that angle to me, is critical..Probably stemming from the Shovelhead, for all those Decades!!!
One FXR here is being extremely Difficult... but using independent pipes, I am able to twist the pipe slightly, and get a Fantastic fit!!
Mounting brakets get "messaged" after all else is Done... Back to the Shovelhead struggles!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
Yes.. I have a Screamin Eagle 2into1 that has been on 3 different FXR's
ended up back on the first FXR I had put it onto..One of them it simply was a No Go... Not Happenin!!!
It may be noted that I am perhaps unusually fussy about the Fit of the Headpipe into the port... and no they are Not all the same.. that angle to me, is critical..Probably stemming from the Shovelhead, for all those Decades!!!
One FXR here is being extremely Difficult... but using independent pipes, I am able to twist the pipe slightly, and get a Fantastic fit!!
Mounting brakets get "messaged" after all else is Done... Back to the Shovelhead struggles!!!

We used to send the shovel heads out to have three bolt flanges welded to the heads. Back then it was Heliarc and the welders were the size of a large TV. Today you can do it in your garage with a welder the size of a tower PC.

On those old fixed motor scooters, the mounting brackets for the pipe were pretty critical. If the brackets were off, they would constantly burn out flange gaskets.

And Iron heads were worse. The brackets were what did most of the work holding the pipes on the heads. The clamps just sealed the connection up a little.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
We used to send the shovel heads out to have three bolt flanges welded to the heads. Back then it was Heliarc and the welders were the size of a large TV. Today you can do it in your garage with a welder the size of a tower PC.

On those old fixed motor scooters, the mounting brackets for the pipe were pretty critical. If the brackets were off, they would constantly burn out flange gaskets.

And Iron heads were worse. The brackets were what did most of the work holding the pipes on the heads. The clamps just sealed the connection up a little.
Yes on Ironheads
I was taught, decades ago, that any motorcycle exhaust should be mounted such that, you can pick the bike up by the exhaust

·
Registered
17,690 Posts
Put a set of dog balls in the baffle. Hopefully it will be a little less loud, and not have so much of an empty trashcan tone to it.

View attachment 271070
Let me know how they work. I've got the red-neck straight piped truck "popping" on my pipes that's VERY annoying.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brought all fluids up to correct levels, adjusted throttle cables, cleaned and regapped plugs and added some reflective touches to the rims.The kit I used is the Customtaylor33. They are curved strip's and very reflective.

·
In disguise
2,913 Posts
They aint cheap. But then nothing Feuling owns the patent on is.

Dogball baffles
Interesting. I got those from Khromewerks some years ago. They came in a set of staggered duals with tapered mufflers and worked well including a pleasing sound on my FXR2. That design is also very similar to what (I think) Chrysler called “chambered exhaust” systems that were factory equipment on their street performance cars in the 1970’s. I figured that was where Khromewerks got the idea. Didn’t know it was a Fueling design.

Reactions: Racepres

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
Interesting. I got those from Khromewerks some years ago. They came in a set of staggered duals with tapered mufflers and worked well including a pleasing sound on my FXR2. That design is also very similar to what (I think) Chrysler called “chambered exhaust” systems that were factory equipment on their street performance cars in the 1970’s. I figured that was where Khromewerks got the idea. Didn’t know it was a Fueling design.
I don't if he developed them, or just saw an opportunity. There were lots of parts being sold back in the 90's that were never patented. And more than a few people made money by scarfing up on them.

I first saw them with race boats. The MD DNR showed up one summer with sound test equipment and claimed the had the power to enforce noise limits on the river. And some people were using the dog balls to kill the dbs on the open headers. The auger baffles worked better, but I've never seen a set of them under 3 inches wide.

Chambered pipe, or chamfered pipe was just pipe with pinches in it that made little chambers along the pipe. It was not the performance oriented option that the factories made it out to be. It was more about the sound you got tooling down the boulevard.

2301 - 2314 of 2314 Posts