V-Twin Forum banner
2281 - 2300 of 2314 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
Been working on the tune with this Super E, couple days a week. I got it to run well on the low end, and scream on the top end, but its marginal in the middle. Booster fixed the transition bog, but it still was not making the power it should in the mid range, Took it on a dive bar run last Saturday and it ran as above, but got 38 and 41 mpg for gas. And that worries me. I'm at 32-68 on the jets. I'm thinking the total jetting should be 102 to 104, not 100. And my butt says its good at 2500, then fat till about 3500-4000, after that its good again. It did not like more fast jet. And it did not like less slow jet.

So I have been suspecting the issue was exhaust based. Either over scavenging or the worst reversion I have ever seen. But have been unable to find a set of cans locally to test that out. On a whim, I stuck a little set of drag pipe reversion killers (diffusers) in the backs of the mufflers. They are meant for drag pipes, so they are a little small for the mufflers, and with no bolt hole, I had to turn the bolt around and pinch them into place.

It was like night and day different. The mid range is fixed. It was a reversion issue causing the mid range fall off. Now once it cools down, I'll see what its like with more normal jetting. Something like 30-72.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

So now its time to figure out some new exhaust arrangements. I'm not going to pay $600 for a set of scuffed up FXR cans. I can get new slip-ons for a Dyna, and make them work, for like $325. Or I can go with a 2-1 pipe that fits with foot boards. But they run more than $800. And I might be able to use early softail pipes, since I don't need the little dog leg to clear the mids. I'm going to have to see if I can borrow a pipe to check that out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Been working on the tune with this Super E, couple days a week. I got it to run well on the low end, and scream on the top end, but its marginal in the middle. Booster fixed the transition bog, but it still was not making the power it should in the mid range, Took it on a dive bar run last Saturday and it ran as above, but got 38 and 41 mpg for gas. And that worries me. I'm at 32-68 on the jets. I'm thinking the total jetting should be 102 to 104, not 100. And my butt says its good at 2500, then fat till about 3500-4000, after that its good again. It did not like more fast jet. And it did not like less slow jet.

So I have been suspecting the issue was exhaust based. Either over scavenging or the worst reversion I have ever seen. But have been unable to find a set of cans locally to test that out. On a whim, I stuck a little set of drag pipe reversion killers (diffusers) in the backs of the mufflers. They are meant for drag pipes, so they are a little small for the mufflers, and with no bolt hole, I had to turn the bolt around and pinch them into place.

It was like night and day different. The mid range is fixed. It was a reversion issue causing the mid range fall off. Now once it cools down, I'll see what its like with more normal jetting. Something like 30-72.

View attachment 270867

So now its time to figure out some new exhaust arrangements. I'm not going to pay $600 for a set of scuffed up FXR cans. I can get new slip-ons for a Dyna, and make them work, for like $325. Or I can go with a 2-1 pipe that fits with foot boards. But they run more than $800. And I might be able to use early softail pipes, since I don't need the little dog leg to clear the mids. I'm going to have to see if I can borrow a pipe to check that out.

I have a set of oem head pipes and think softail mufflers will work with the oem mounts. You are welcome to try them for a while, but I would like them back (or another set).

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
I have a set of oem head pipes and think softail mufflers will work with the oem mounts. You are welcome to try them for a while, but I would like them back (or another set).

Thanks, But I'll try to borrow something local, and skip the shipping and everything that can go wrong with that.

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
694 Posts
Well, ordered rotors and spacers for the billet wheels. Ram jett intake manifold, and a used super E with a thunder jet came. And I made a poor financial decision and bought a broken ironhead today.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,690 Posts
And I made a poor financial decision and bought a broken ironhead today.

Been there. Done that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Hopefully my XLCH is not that broken...

The '89 FXR... installing the HI-4N Crane ignition & single fire coil. Found the {key on} hot white wire, will set it up like the instructions, fig 5. https://beeldbank.prepublisher.com/pictures/PDF/ZDC/6/ZDCX0336.pdf

The question is the brown wire to the Tach... goes/attaches to where?

·
Registered
17,690 Posts
Want another one? Lol

No thanks. One is my limit.

Reactions: hillcat

·
Registered
17,690 Posts
The question is the brown wire to the Tach... goes/attaches to where?
If you have a factory tach, there should be a pink wire in the harness by the coil that goes to the tach. Connect the brown one to that.

Reactions: Misters

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Ahh, the pink wire... Thank you Sir.

The one thing learned in this project {running on one cylinder at cold start up} is to do the coil test first, even on a brand new shiny one. :rolleyes: With the same result, never even considered the new piece to be bad. o_O

But, it did lead me to replacing the whole ignition with an upgraded unit.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
Replaced the oem stagger pipes with a Roadrage 2-1. I went ahead and welded a bung into it so I could use the lambda meter to sort out the jets.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

It'll take a while to get used to the look. But with just putting the pipes on and not touching the carb, it starts better and cold idles a lot better. Got done too late to ride it today, but I shot a little clip of the lambda meter in action for youens that never saw one. Its a temporary install and comes off once the jetting is done.

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
It was a damp drizzly day, but I made a carburation run anyway. Butt dyno says hold on tighter. The Lambda meter says its one jet skinny on the bottom and one jet fat on the hi speed. I'll switch the jets and see if its better, but its not bad now. Not bad at all.

It did end up with a pretty sweet idle tune.

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
My Youngest loves the Bassani...
They seem good quality, and fit well... slightly loud.. yup.

I had some issues with the fit on this one. Rear bracket was up against the frame when bolted up to the trans, and the front pipe is a little too far to the right down by the board. Looks like it was rotated a little to far out when it was welded to the collector. And the spread on the spigots was off about 2 inches to the wide side. Nothing insurmountable, but took some time to get it all sorted out. Jigs are prolly getting a little worn out.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I had some issues with the fit on this one. Rear bracket was up against the frame when bolted up to the trans, and the front pipe is a little too far to the right down by the board. Looks like it was rotated a little to far out when it was welded to the collector. And the spread on the spigots was off about 2 inches to the wide side. Nothing insurmountable, but took some time to get it all sorted out. Jigs are prolly getting a little worn out.
Pipe fit is an odd thing on FXR's.. if you have more than a couple in the shop... take any exhaust system, and mount it ... really mount it like yer gonna run it... on each of them.. from my experience... the same exhaust will fit very Differently, on each... betting one of them will fit so poorly that ya cant use it!!!.. throw in some non standard components...and i can guarantee it will be worser!!!
Alignment accounts for some... not all of the variance..
Bassan exhaust has had more than one "baffle" in their tenure.. some much better than others..
If you don't have 3 or 4 exhaust systems for your bike... you have not tried to optimize for you and your bike...
Loud aint ****!!!! That Just right sound...coupled with real...proveable performance... that is a tough one!!

2281 - 2300 of 2314 Posts