V-Twin Forum banner
2261 - 2280 of 2314 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Learned that the Ball and Ramp, tranny cover is different on Touring vs FXR.. a Touring Cover puts the Cable right into the Brake lever... Forwards????? Nah... I will find a Cover.....

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
Learned that the Ball and Ramp, tranny cover is different on Touring vs FXR.. a Touring Cover puts the Cable right into the Brake lever... Forwards????? Nah... I will find a Cover.....
I just had to deal with that when I put footboards on my 84. Book said it was a direct swap, but the book didn't know that my 84 had a 91-93 trans in it. The FXR cover pointed the cable right at the brake pivot lever. I put one on it from a Softail to solve that issue. Then I found out that the cables are different too. Different amount of free cable in the cover from FXR to Softail/FL.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I just had to deal with that when I put footboards on my 84. Book said it was a direct swap, but the book didn't know that my 84 had a 91-93 trans in it. The FXR cover pointed the cable right at the brake pivot lever. I put one on it from a Softail to solve that issue. Then I found out that the cables are different too. Different amount of free cable in the cover from FXR to Softail/FL.
My experience was that the Touring Cover aimed directly at the Brake Pivot... the FXR cover is aimed more Down..
the '84, or Lever Cover, being completely different animal, does Not enter into this in my "stock" application
I do Not thing I had any Cable Problems... as the Clutch is adjusted Properly, and the cable adjuster is Not Wayyy out nor in...
Note; that this is a Post 1994 Trans tho ( I believe it to be about a '96 or '97) ...and that May change things...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
^^^ I do Not trust Teddy... I would Require a picture of the actual cover... with a shot from the Bottom!!!!

BTW the H-D part number for a 1994 FXR is 37103-87A

·
Registered
570 Posts
The FXR trans end cover from V-Twin with the downward pointing clutch cable is good. Very good actually. Side by side with an oem unit the detail is much better and all of them that I have used have fit perfectly.

·
Registered
501 Posts
This is what I'm now running on my 87 with floorboards. Works just fine. I got it off of Craigs list so I couldn't swear to what it's off of, but it moved the cable up higher which is what I needed.

Greg

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
This is what I'm now running on my 87 with floorboards. Works just fine. I got it off of Craigs list so I couldn't swear to what it's off of, but it moved the cable up higher which is what I needed.

Greg

View attachment 270508
Ya, that the same issue I had. The cover I used came off of a Softail. AFAIK, there are only two styles FXR, and everything else. The Softail and FLT are the same part number.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Welp... I learned that H-D can be careless with parts change vs Numbers...
as a precursor look here Fun with part number changes

Not only that but the brake pedal itself changed about 1987
as the early brake pedal was H-D part # 42523-82, and the one substituted approx. 1987 is H-D #42523-87
only significant if you should happen to do some substitutions.. Which I unwittingly did..
so take Note..
The early Brake Pedal will Only function with the Early Foot Rest... the one with the pinch bolt at the rear of the Spline.
While the later Brake Pedal, will function with either of the footrest mounts..
Learn from others Mistakes...

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
Put a Sifton Bomb Sight in my Super E. That fixed the transition. So now the low end is good, the transition is good, but feels fat on the top end. Prolly because it took so much jet to fix the low end.

Gas Auto part Machine Circle Automotive wheel system

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
You know what the fix is.
Ya, I know of two fixes. Fast jets I have on the shelf, new pipes are something I would have to purchase. At least it only takes a minute to change a fast jet. I rode it with 32-74 yesterday, and it was fine till about 1/2 throttle, then it went flat. So I switched it to 32-70 last night and will see what that did for it later today.

I have come to the reality that my 37 year old glass packs are about done. They are so full of carbon that most of the perforations in the liners are blocked off. And because of Harley's desire to sell new ones, they are not repackable sans saw and welder. So basically I'm jetting a set of drag pipes with a step up in pipe diameter and a crossover.

Not a lot out there for an FXR with foot boards, but I have looked at the Bassani Road Rage pipes. Or I could get real motivated and weld some tube up for a custom set.

·
Registered
17,690 Posts
Your mufflers are welded on I take it?

Sent from here to there.

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
Your mufflers are welded on I take it?

Sent from here to there.

Slip ons, but the guts are welded in. I would consider replacing them if I saw something I liked. But all I ever see are -85's and those SE's with the plate baffle, both of which pretty much suck.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ya, I know of two fixes. Fast jets I have on the shelf, new pipes are something I would have to purchase. At least it only takes a minute to change a fast jet. I rode it with 32-74 yesterday, and it was fine till about 1/2 throttle, then it went flat. So I switched it to 32-70 last night and will see what that did for it later today.

I have come to the reality that my 37 year old glass packs are about done. They are so full of carbon that most of the perforations in the liners are blocked off. And because of Harley's desire to sell new ones, they are not repackable sans saw and welder. So basically I'm jetting a set of drag pipes with a step up in pipe diameter and a crossover.

Not a lot out there for an FXR with foot boards, but I have looked at the Bassani Road Rage pipes. Or I could get real motivated and weld some tube up for a custom set.

RB Racing makes a very nice pipe for an FXR with floor boards. I am seriously considering having them make a pipe for my blue/white FXR with the TC124 using their 2" headpipe and their black hole muffler. Still have to source a few more pieces for the floor boards.

Reactions: Thermodyne
2261 - 2280 of 2314 Posts