V-Twin Forum banner

2161 - 2175 of 2175 Posts

·
In disguise
2,855 Posts
Finally got around to addressing my cranky (see what I did there?) starter/starting. After researching it seems that my symptoms might be due to worn contacts in my solenoid, so since that's about $31 total versus hundreds for a new starter and solenoid unit, I figured I'd try rebuilding the solenoid first. I started a thread under "Electrical, Wiring and Lighting".

Got it all taken apart today and yes, my copper contacts look really bad. Plus a lot of rust on the top battery cable bolt. Rebuild kit due here tomorrow so I cleaned all the battery cables including the mesh ground strap, which was black with road grime. But hey, after 21 years I'm not surprised.

Reactions: journeymanjohn

·
In disguise
2,855 Posts
I bit the bullet and swapped in a new All Balls starter and solenoid last night. Didn’t bother replacing the solenoid contacts—wanted to be done with all the possibilities of starter trouble. 2.5 hours total and the new unit works great. Hope this one lasts another 22 years, whether I do or not.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I pulled the FXR out of hibernation today, reinstalled the battery and seat which I like to store indoors over the winter. It started right up and I got in a 50 mile ride. It's running well, seems to be shifting better than I remember. I think I hear ticking when riding, but when I lean down to get a better listen I don't hear it, and I don't hear it at idle, have to keep an ear on it I guess. Anyhow, season 32 with the FXR has begun. A pic from late last year.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
286 Posts
V-strum nice ride clean. I like the solo seat look. I had my exhaust off so I put that back on went to fire it and battery was dead even thought it was on the tender. So I put the charger on it and battery is done. I have a decent battery out of a customers bike go get that posts are reversed. **** no ride for me. Ordered a Renegade battery. This interstate only lasted 6 years. This will be battery number 5. Not bad for 35 years. Put bike back on lift drove Camaro.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Rode to my son's house for lunch with the granddaughters. Then home. Since this is national polish your chrome day, I figured I'd better get started.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Damn, I love those rocker covers

Looks great.
Thank you, hardest part was being sure the holes that had to be drilled for the EZ bracket were identical. She’s a bit wide in the rear end but.... I’ve never complained about that in my life lol

·
Registered
423 Posts
You're bike looks great!! Love it.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I’ve still got all the oem stuff just in case I ever want to go back for any reason. Sad truth I’ve spent more time wrenching on it than riding it so that’s about to change this season.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
2161 - 2175 of 2175 Posts