V-Twin Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 2099 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
@Racepres I ordered a mustang fastback seat last week. Looks similar. Though on the lower end of the price range and probably the least comfortable.

However, once it comes in, ill be letting the studded mustang seat go to whoever hates their own ass or needs a seat just to finish a project.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Good on you... If all goes well I may be letting a Stock pillow seat go... No Hinge tho... Latch either... too hard to come by the damn things!!!

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Base gasket leak is getting progressively worse. I think I have all the parts to repair, so started disassembly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
@Alan S whats the bore on that, i got a new gasket set for an 80" you can have

It's an S&S 107".

I've already got all my gaskets, but thanks.

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Got the front mount dropped. Now to start disassembly.

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
^^ What kind of Picture is that??? Ya damn *******!!!
It's the gap between the rocker and the frame. You can see the **** under my workbench on the other side.

I didn't realize I needed pics for the mentally impaired. :)

Reactions: Racepres

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
It's the gap between the rocker and the frame. You can see the **** under my workbench on the other side.

I didn't realize I needed pics for the mentally impaired. :)

OK... Fine!!! What in the Wide World Of Sports, is that Reflection??? Yea, I'm a Sick SOB

BTW That rocker is extremely close to the Backbone aint it....

·
Super Moderator
20,850 Posts
Are you pulling the piston with the jug, and replacing the pin clip? Or leaving the piston and replacing the rings?

Or behind door number three, just pulling the jug and reusing the rings?

And are you going to fix the issue, as in add oil fix's or pig tails?

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Are you pulling the piston with the jug, and replacing the pin clip? Or leaving the piston and replacing the rings?

Or behind door number three, just pulling the jug and reusing the rings?
My plan is to pull the jugs w/ the pistons inside just replacing the clip. But my plans sometimes go awry.

And are you going to fix the issue, as in add oil fix's or pig tails?
I hadn't thought about that since these are S&S cases and jugs. Are they needed?

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
BTW That rocker is extremely close to the Backbone aint it....
Yep. But with the front motor mount pulled and the engine down, there's room to pull it. Had to replace the gaskets already, so I know.

I just hope there's room to pull the jug.

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
673 Posts
Ya know, its not the preferred way, but I shellac the hell out of my gaskets with anaerobic silicone and im probably the only guy in my group with a harley that doesn't leak...

·
Super Moderator
20,850 Posts
My plan is to pull the jugs w/ the pistons inside just replacing the clip. But my plans sometimes go awry.

I hadn't thought about that since these are S&S cases and jugs. Are they needed?
Cant say that I ever put them in an S&S motor, but on Evo's they are pretty much the only permanent fix if the jug bases are less than true.

Little trick on pulling the pins, if they are too stiff to slip out, a little carb cleaner on the under side of the piston will loosen them right up.

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Little trick on pulling the pins, if they are too stiff to slip out, a little carb cleaner on the under side of the piston will loosen them right up.
Chill and kill.

Hope I can remember that. Life is interrupting so progress has halted temporarily.

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Sh!t went right today. Got the cylinder pulled with the piston for the new base gasket install.

2020-09-29_14-05-06_495.jpg

Note my hi-tech bucket seat on the other side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm about to do the same thing! Waiting on my service manual to show up though. Does the manual actually talk about removing the rear cylinder while the motor is still in the frame? Was the front motor mount all you had to disconnect to get the jug out?

Sh!t went right today. Got the cylinder pulled with the piston for the new base gasket install.

View attachment 267013

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Do you have that front breather plugged off?
Missed this before. Yes. the front breather is plugged. That's how S&S says to do it. I have it vented from the rear head and the bottom.

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
I'm about to do the same thing! Waiting on my service manual to show up though. Does the manual actually talk about removing the rear cylinder while the motor is still in the frame? Was the front motor mount all you had to disconnect to get the jug out?
After getting the intake and exhaust off, I just disconnected/removed the front motor mount and eased the motor down. Plenty of room to get the cylinder out.

Since this is an S&S motor, I didn't quite use the manual for disassembly. S&S has a manual for the reassembly. Highly resembles the factory Harley manual.

I'm just hoping I can find the rod hole with the pin on assembly as easy as it came out.

2041 - 2060 of 2099 Posts