V-Twin Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2063 Posts

·
Registered
1986 fxrd
16 Posts
Managed some small achievements on the bike today , drilled and tapped frame and bolted new shocks on .
Have had her parked in front of my milling machine for the past few weeks and have lifted a few jobs over her . At least shes rolling again incase anything real big comes in .
Also , tho I haven't ridden her yet , I am loving the footboards :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been off the FXR for too long, finally back on the road and planning some upgrades.
Small bauble, new points/cam cover from FXR Division.
FXR Points.2 (AUG 20).jpg

Paul

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
643 Posts
Change my fluid in my forks over to 15w, and while I was bouncing the bike I discovered my clunk. Loose steering stem nut. Not loose enough to notice by hand with wheel up, but with the weight on it I had a ton of play. That would explain the wobbles, clunk, tire wear, and feeling of riding on ice.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Change my fluid in my forks over to 15w, and while I was bouncing the bike I discovered my clunk. Loose steering stem nut. Not loose enough to notice by hand with wheel up, but with the weight on it I had a ton of play. That would explain the wobbles, clunk, tire wear, and feeling of riding on ice.

Yikes... study what they call Fall-Away... I believe it is in the Bible!!!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The youngest was over for awhile... so Between frolicking with the grandbaby... we set the Engine in...
Got to celebrating...so no Pictures!!!!

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
643 Posts
@Racepres believe me I looked through my manual, etc. It was my understanding that the fall away was specific to every type of fork setup so given the fact that its a wide glide front end on an fxr its almost impossible to go by the book... i threw another half turn on the nut and have no more wobble or clunk. Hell I would rather be too tight and have low speed weave then too loose and have a tank slapper. Turned out good.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
@Racepres believe me I looked through my manual, etc. It was my understanding that the fall away was specific to every type of fork setup so given the fact that its a wide glide front end on an fxr its almost impossible to go by the book... i threw another half turn on the nut and have no more wobble or clunk. Hell I would rather be too tight and have low speed weave then too loose and have a tank slapper. Turned out good.

Too tight is generally identified by heavy steering...to me it feels like a flat front tire... but, don't get better with speed!!!
I guess I really Don't go strictly by the book anymore... I go tight enough for No Fall-away, then loosen till it falls Freely ...just... Never a problem, even doing it that way at the shop...when we had one...
Lots of things I went to doing by feel... Just My Way... but, everyone knows by now that I am Not a Cookie Cutter Guy

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
@captainhook455 apparently telling them I would make them wish they died in the womb wasnt bad enough. Then again, they are MY kids. Hahaha they said do it and mama bear came out on the porch before an ass whooping ensued. You can guess who got the ass whooping from there.

But the ol Saucy Wench is running and riding. 10000% better now that I can reach the pegs.

In this forum 5'9" is considered a midget so I have had pegs, but floorboards are definitely better. You know I went to the dark side when I gave away my harleys and bought Suzuki's. I put a highway bar with pegs so the bike would be perfectly balanced when I hit the curves. The op didn't know to do that because there were no scraping on the floorboards. The bike had 4k miles when I got it and I have replaced the OEM boards once. So why is this bike a curve carver with my feet up? Who knows, who gives a sht.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Took my rear tire to fix the flat. I checked it and it was leaking around the rim.

He text me a pic of my Dunlop American Elite that was a year old and less than 1000 mi.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
^^ Oh My... WTH is goin on there??
Someones tire machine has a sharp edge!!!
My spoons couldn't do that!!!
hope whomever put that on ...stands it...

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
^^ Oh My... WTH is goin on there??
Someones tire machine has a sharp edge!!!
My spoons couldn't do that!!!
hope whomever put that on ...stands it...
You think the tire machine did that? He's mounted quite a few tires for me over the years and this has never happened.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
^^ Yes I do... The Arm that goes roundy round.. pushing the bead over the rim... that one has developed a burr, or some kind of Defect that is not Smooth.. hooked the bead ...is My Guess...

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
^^ Yes I do... The Arm that goes roundy round.. pushing the bead over the rim... that one has developed a burr, or some kind of Defect that is not Smooth.. hooked the bead ...is My Guess...
When removing the tire, the roundy round arm is on the inside of the tire.

He told me the inside of the rim was really rough. This tire has never given me any problems until recently when it started when it started leaking. The front one had the same problem about a month ago.

After a little thinking, it may have happen when the tire was originally installed.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
He told me the inside of the rim was really rough.

After a little thinking, it may have happen when the tire was originally installed.

If the Inside of the rim was "really Rough" it should have been "fixed" while tire was off... I still believe, Yes... happened when originally installed..
Of course... yes it could have been damaged upon removal... If you were Not there...gotta trust the Operator...
Ask!!!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Alan, with those slow leaks at the bead they can typically be fixed, My truck tires had annoying leaks, I took the wheels off, broke the bead and cleaned all the junk off the rim lip with sand paper, then used sealant on the bead (optional), pumped them up, leaks are gone.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Alan, with those slow leaks at the bead they can typically be fixed, My truck tires had annoying leaks, I took the wheels off, broke the bead and cleaned all the junk off the rim lip with sand paper, then used sealant on the bead (optional), pumped them up, leaks are gone.
That's what he did to mine but used a wire brush by hand.

I watched him do the front tire about 2 months ago.

Reactions: V-STRUM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Swapped out the original oil tank sight "glass" (plastic lens) that has been foggy for the last twenty years with a new piece from FXR Division. Simple upgrade, real glass lens, made in America. . . no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer.
Oil Sight (SEP 20).jpg

Paul

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
643 Posts
Rode to work. On the way home stopped at a riding buddys house. Forgot his driveway was all blow sand and dropped the wench. Luck it just sunk in and got a lil dusty. No harm done other then my ego. Lol

On another note. Headshake is all gone. Rides great!

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Replaced the R1 carb on my FXR4 with a Mikuni 45.
What a difference. Smooth acceleration with slow roll ons or quick twists. No stumbling.😁
The only catch was when I went around the block and ran out of gas, then had to push it the last 100 yards. (Forgot to refill the tank.) Oh, almost tipped over when I coasted to a stop and couldn't get my foot off the right peg fast enuf. I was able to catch it mid fall though. Good thing I wasn't on the FLHR with the OL.

1981 - 2000 of 2063 Posts