V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2003 Sportster. I wanted to change the engine oil etc. I drained something from a drain plug on the under side of the engine and am not sure what I just drained.
BTW, figured out how to change the engine oil and that's done...I think I drained the gearbox oil, but not sure.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
If its on the gear box its the transmission fluid. No big deal I do it around the same time as i do my oil. Takes the same stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of fluid do you use?

Any special type/brand? How much does it take? I've heard a quart...others say about 3/4 of a quart.
Thx

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It takes 20-50 engine oil. Pull the clutch derby, fill to the bottom of the clutch spring. Should take about 1 quart. Have someone hold the bike upright while you fill it.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Do you have a factory manual?

If your going to work on your bike you need to get one, this is a good example of why you need one.

On a Sportster, the primary and the transmission use the same oil. Sportsters use primary lube you can get it from the dealer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
get a H-D service manual formyour model and yr. 1ST it tells all !

dont go on advice from people that dont work on there own bike or have have never had a bike like yours

·
Registered
817 Posts
This section of the forum is for introducing yourself. Try the Sportster section for advice on working on your bike. But get the manual before you do anything else.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
get a H-D service manual formyour model and yr. 1ST it tells all !

dont go on advice from people that dont work on there own bike or have have never had a bike like yours
Good advice Panhead.

(I do all my own work and have a bike like his, 97 Sporty, sitting 8 feet from me in my living room.)

·
not sober all the time
5,874 Posts
+1 on the manual. If you don't know what you're doing, please get a manual first. I'm not an expert but I have the three manuals for my bike and three for my wife's to help me decide what I can do and what I don't need to be messing with.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just got a 2003 Sportster. I wanted to change the engine oil etc. I drained something from a drain plug on the under side of the engine and am not sure what I just drained.
BTW, figured out how to change the engine oil and that's done...I think I drained the gearbox oil, but not sure.
Sounds like you need a service manual to me!

·
Banned
23 Posts
man, don't use engine oil on your trans. NEVER !!
use 80W90 Period !
any brand...you like but again don't use 20 w 50 on trans. who suggested it to you doesn't know what he's saying and will be better don't give advices...

yeah get a manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here you go, all nice and easy to read.

Oil tank capacity is 3.6 quarts (U.S.) (3.4 liters)

ENGINE OIL
Use the proper grade of oil for the lowest temperature
expected before the next oil change.
If it is necessary to add oil and Harley-Davidson oil is not
available, use an oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable
diesel engine oil designations include CF, CF-4, CG-4 and
CH-4. The preferred viscosities for the diesel engine oils, in
descending order, are 20W-50, 15W-40 and 10W-40. At the
first opportunity, see a Harley-Davidson dealer to change
back to 100 percent Harley-Davidson oil.

See 1.5 ENGINE OIL AND FILTER for all service information.

Table 1-4. Recommended Engine Oil Viscosity
HARLEY-DAVIDSON TYPE/ VISCOSITY HARLEY-DAVIDSON RATING/ LOWEST AMBIENT TEMPERATURE/ COLD WEATHER STARTS BELOW 50°F(10°C)
HD Multigrade / SAE 10W40 / HD 360 / Below 40° F (4° C) / Excellent
HD Multigrade /SAE 20W50 /HD 360 / Above 40° F (4° C) / Good
HD Regular Heavy /SAE 50 / HD 360 / Above 60° F (16° C) / Poor
HD Extra Heavy /SAE 60 /HD 360 / Above 80° F (27° C) / Poor

I'm sure you can find the 20w-50 in motorcycle oil, don't use automotive oil, too many detergents.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
man, don't use engine oil on your trans. NEVER !!
use 80W90 Period !
any brand...you like but again don't use 20 w 50 on trans. who suggested it to you doesn't know what he's saying and will be better don't give advices...

yeah get a manual.
Go ahead and put 80-90 in a SPORTSTER primary/trans there Vale. That 80-90 is just wonderful for the CLUTCHES.

The big thing to avoid in any wet clutch set up is "energy conserving additives" in engine oil. That is why diesel oil is recommended (see bobberman's post).

And what about the Syn3 in all three holes in a big Harley?

Do a little research before taking shots there bud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go ahead and put 80-90 in a SPORTSTER primary/trans there Vale. That 80-90 is just wonderful for the CLUTCHES.

The big thing to avoid in any wet clutch set up is "energy conserving additives" in engine oil. That is why diesel oil is recommended (see bobberman's post).

And what about the Syn3 in all three holes in a big Harley?

Do a little research before taking shots there bud.
Yeah, go ahead use 80w-90, I put that in my diffs on my jeep!:redrolf:

Buy a manual, you'll never have to ask simple question again. the tough ones will get the right answers, from those that know!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts