V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hello fellow V Rodders, mine is due in next week, I have done a lot of research on this product, and have found it to be an exceptional vehicle that will be a milestone/ collectors item , into the future.......
I have looked at many motorcycles in the CRUISER category, and this one will be legendary..........mark my words. This vehicle is like a SUPER MODEL, OR A FERRARI ON TWO WHEELS, not speedwise mind you , but by pure sexual appeal alone.....I have witnessed people look at this bike going by, like a beautiful woman walking down the street, nude. your thoughts?.......also maintainance tips for break in, not in manual? or a good idea?

·
Banned
490 Posts
Long term maintenance

The V-Rod is of course a new model, with a new engine, so any long-term advice is going to be somewhat theoretical.

The most important thing to do is regular attention to the lubrication system. The owners manual calls for oil changes every 5000 miles (after the 1000 mile break-in period). IMHO this is inadequate. Motor oil begins to break down after 1000 miles. Oil and filter changes are relatively inexpensive. The procedure for changing the oil yourself is not covered in the owners manual - this may be one reason alone to purchase the service manual for the bike.

Second on my list for regular maintenance would be the air filter. Not only does checking the filter keep the engine breathing properly, but it can also alert you to other potential problems in the combustion process.

Third would be brakes. Pad thickness is pretty easy to check on the V-Rod. Allowing the pads to get too worn can lead to warped rotors and (worse) ruined calipers. Additionally its not a bad idea to replace brake fluid annually.

Fourth would be the suspension system. Not only is a worn or damaged suspension dangerous, but excessive vibration can lead to the premature failure of other motorcycle components.

V-Rod wheels are a cosmetic item that need regular attention. The aluminum alloy can pit very easily, so even if you don't wash the entire bike, the wheels should be cleaned with an appropriate motorcycle-specific wheel and tire cleaner at least weekly when in regular use.

The belt drive is a pretty durable part of the bike, and will outlast the engine provided a) you aren't spinning the rear tire at every stoplight and b) keep it properly tensioned. Too loose and it will squeak. Too tight (as many belt-driven bike owners do) and it can ruin bearings. Belt tension is pretty easy to check, provided you have the right tool.

Beyond those specific items, generally common sense is the best guide. Only put premium unleaded gas in the tank. Don't let the tank get too low before refueling. Check tire pressure and condition at least weekly. When storing the bike disconnect the battery cable, and put fuel stabilizer in the tank. Make sure that any cover you put on the bike allows proper air circulation.

Police service motorcycles regularly attain 100,000 miles, often on hard urban (i.e. potholed) streets, with a lot of stop-and-go driving. The reason that these bikes last so long is that police departments pay strict attention to service intervals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the verdict in on the use of synthetic oils on V Rod? I would like to use mobil 1, after break in, think it will be cool? `Thank you for your answers on the previous, yes I am going to maintain this Beauty, with the care of a princess, it will become my MAIN vehicle for transport. I am giving up full time cage driving, exceptions are hurricane weather, and lightening storms...........................

·
Registered
544 Posts
Bobby,

I am working on getting some information as to if we should use Mobil 1 or not, I'll let you know what I hear. And if so what type of oil Mobil recommends for our V-Rods, the V-Twin 20W-50 or the 10W-40 motorcycle oil or even the 15W-40 car motor oil.

I have found Autozone in my area carries the motorcycle oil but it isn't cheap, it's like $7.50 a quart for the V-Twin oil. But I'd break it in first. I changed my oil and filter at both 500 and 1000 miles, oil is relative cheap consider what the engine costs.

Now I know they don't recommend Mobil 1 or any synthetic oil for the old EVO engine that had roller main bearing, it was just so slick the bearing won't roll and flat sided the roller bearing. But I am fairly certain we don't have that issue in our engines. I also wrote American Iron magazine about our bike and the use of Mobil 1 and hope to see a response in the next issue. They did a real good series of articles on synthetic oils and came out recommending Mobil 1 to our air-cooled brothers.

It won't be a bad idea to get a shop manual, could save you in the long run.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well believe it or not, my Dealer in El Paso, sent me a manual 2 weeks ago, I requested it to study up on this new engine, and although it is not that detailed, it did allow me to satisfy my inquisitive nature, I do plan to learn as much as I can, and plan to change my own oil too. Have you guys read anything on fuel injection cleaners for this engine? are they a no-no?
I am also planning on buying a more informative manual, once they are published. I see that doing a search for reviews on this particular bike is limited, I have read all the ones I see posted here..........also joined the yahoo group too. Well hopefully my bike will be here in time for the Key West Poker Run out of Miami..............if you guys are close, or get the opportunity to go, I recommend it, I have gone on a few, and it is a great ride, hot..........but great!!

·
Banned
490 Posts
Thanks Quicksilver...

I see that the oil/filter change procedure IS listed in the Owners Manual, although not as thoroughly as in the Shop Manual that you so kindly linked us to.

Since I just rolled over 500 miles on my V-Rod, I plan on doing the first oil change myself later today. From an economic standpoint I guess I'm going to go with 4.5 quarts of H-D 360 oil; rather than Mobil 1 or any of the other synthetics. I think I'll wait to hear more definitively from Harley itself on the subject using synthetics in the VRSC engine.

Lets do the math..

Change every 1000 miles (organic lubricants)
5 qts. H-D 360 @ $3.25 + 1 (63793-01K) Super Premium Oil filter @$8.60 = $24.85

Figure 10 changes per year = $250 per year.

Change every 2000 miles (synthetic)
5 qts. Amsoil/Mobil 1 etc. @ $7.50 + 1 (63793-01K) Super Premium Oil filter @$8.60 = $46.10

Figure 5 changes per year = $230

Of course, changing the oil yourself means at least an hour or two each month of semi-hard labor. Plus trips to the recycling center to dispose of the old stuff. Plus cleaning up the inevitable spills, fishing the plug out of the drain pan, cleaning up funnels, scrubbing fingernails, yada yada yada...

Just out of curiosity, how much H-D dealerships around the country charge for an oil/filter change these days?

·
Registered
544 Posts
VRodDrew, it's not that hard to do, there are two bolt holding the bottom of the radiator on to the frame you remove those and it's a simple job to change the oil. I haven't let the dealer do any service to my bike yet but I would imagine that you can save money and use Mobil 1 doing it yourself.

As for waiting for HD to approve any oil but their own 360, don't expect that will happen ever. HD will never come out and say anything is recommended but their oil, would you? I mean if you made money on a product with your name on it do you think you'd tell anyone to buy someone else stuff? Won't stay in business long, just getting a warm fuzzy it's conducive to profitability. Bottom line you can't eat warm fuzzy's :eek: well the feeling anyway. ;) :p :D :D

Dave

·
Registered
544 Posts
You don't have to get a lift but it sure helps and make the job easier. Check eBay they have them for $75 -$120 for a decent one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts