V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really interested in getting one and have wanted one since Terminator 2 came out. I started on smaller bikes and I think in the next year I will pick one up.

Just looking for some heads up when I go to purchase my new one.

What should I look for, can anyone give me some info on them that may not already be found on the HD website?

What are some things to avoid. How is the new fuel injection?

Thanks,

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hey I can't really sound unbiased if I told you how I feel about Fatboys.
I researched them for three years before I dove in, the 88b caused me to get serious.
The EFI option is great, I have only had mine a few weeks now and have added pipes and slammed it 1.5" in rear. I am doing the breather gig next .
The comments and looks the bike gets when out is unmistakeable.
If you like the style, do it. You won't be sorry.
Simply put, it is just -one-bad-ass-ride-,but there I go putting sentiment into it.
Hints in buying one?
--MSRP--

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by MSRP, as in that will be the cheapest that I will be able to get one for??? Have you had any troubles with yours? What are some types of pipes that I can get for it to get a really deep sound even at a partial throttle but will not kill me on the highway?

Peace and thanks for the advice....

·
Registered
985 Posts
I mean you'll be very lucky to get one at MSRP.
It all depends where you live, how many dealers in the area, how many units they sell.
In South Florida, vacation wonderland, Harleys are marked up 2-3k OVER MSRP
I went out of my way to find a dealer that would give me a better deal, I found a dealer that came very close to MSRP with a $1500 accessory package I had to buy. Is that bad?, no, because I would have bought at least that amount in access. anyway . And I still have more I want, I have just paused for the moment.
Again, this has been 3 years in the planning.
I went with V-H Longshots, sound great,look great, and best of all the sound gets left behind you.
-Chops

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Fat Boy is a great multi-purpose bike. It rides like a Cadillac, but still has good punch. I've had mine for almost a year, approx 3500 miles.
You can make it a boulevard cruiser, or take it on a tour. There is a lot of options for customization. Looks good with bags/windshield or without.
It was not my first choice however. I got the chance to ride all the models I was interested in at an open house, and liked the Fat Boy best of all. I like the seating position, you kinda ride "in" it instead of "on" it. The bars are natural, and the floorboards make you feel like you are riding on a cloud. It is not faster than other models, but since it rides so smooth it feels like it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I own my 2002 Fatboy since a little over a month and really love it. I tried the Heritage Softtail and a Road King Classic, but the FatBoy felt the best to me. I always loved the looks of the FatBoy.
Regarding the injection, I asked the same question here at the forum before I bought mine. No negative feedback regarding the injection, so I bought it and it's been great so far.
What's you favorite color? Mine is vivid black.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like the Blue Pearl. The Black is a great color and all but you see alot of Black Harleys. I want the blue as it is also my Favorite Color.

I think that I will stick with the Carb version however.

Does any one know the 0-60 speed and the 60-0 times???

Peace....

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
If you are concerned about 0-60, you may not really be happy with a Harley. I love my Fat Boy but they are dog slow. You may want to watch some more movies and see what else is out there.

Just Another Black (the bike, not me) Fat Boy Owner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am just curious of the times.... I am not expecting anything like a rice rocket that is 0-100 in 3.8 seconds.

Just a ballpark.

And I realize that you may be Mr.Sarcasm but I do know my bikes. I try not to be a magazine racer and look for some more real world numbers. Of what people are actually running.

Peace

·
Registered
129 Posts
I Don't know about slow...

On the 2001 Fatboy I've been ridin'...The stock outta the box may not be the fastest, but all's ya need to do is upgrade to 95 inches and it will be like a rocket.. You won't want it much faster than that! It'll really get up and move!
nickp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts