V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I make tamales, but its hard work, takes all weekend. I make my own stock and mol'e, from a big pork butt, separate the fat out of the stock over night and use the fat- manteca in the dough, or lard. Make my own mol'e and shred the pork and add mol'e and let it chill so when we roll them, the mol'e stays with the meat.

Any left over masa-dough i open a can of crushed pineapple and add the juice to the dough and then roll up the pineapple chucks...

Last batch i made 180 of those things. All week long the techs in the shop are walking around with them in hand lol, they ask me to make them all the time, but I just don't have time with 2 little girls

When I use to help my brother in laws mom make them, thats how I learned, she was El Salvadorian lady, they would make them and sale them at a textile mill they all worked spinning yarn at to other employees to earn extra money on the side. Her son Gustavo taught me to ride sport bikes when i was under age in LA late 80s or early 90s

Dam know I want a tamale lol...

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
When we lived in Metarie,. La. my mom would stop at the tamale mans truck and pick up a batch on the way home from shopping. She wouldn't have to cook that night. I do miss the tamale man.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a couple of things my friends all stand in line for.
1. Pickled Asparagus - hot and spicy
2. Stuffed Pork Loin - Like a Tony Luke's sandwich (it's a Philly thing)
3. White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies.
4. Smoked Ribs - Gooey, Sticky, Fall Off The Bone

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
When we lived in Metarie,. La. my mom would stop at the tamale mans truck and pick up a batch on the way home from shopping. She wouldn't have to cook that night. I do miss the tamale man.

Used to be a roach coach that came by where I worked in Corpus Christi had the best chorizo & egg roll-ups. Love that stuff.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Used to be a roach coach that came by where I worked in Corpus Christi had the best chorizo & egg roll-ups. Love that stuff.
I don't see many Mexicans like when I was employed by Wallies, but just in the nearest big town of 111k there are 3 Mexican restaurants. Tabor City has a couple of trucks. The truck food tastes good and a lot cheaper than the restaurant. The difference is the trucks have a Spanish/English menu and the restaurants have only a Spanish menu. Wtf up with that.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts