V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for reading.....

I am in the process of buying a Harley. I am 'up in the air' regarding where I should store the bike. Like most of you, I consider this purchase to be a big one. Don't know where, or how to store it when I'm not riding. I live in a high-rise apartment building, and we don't have a garage. We do have covered parking (awning), but nothing to really protect a bike from the elements. Please give me a few ideas on where/how I can protect my bike from rain, salt, etc... while it's stored outside...

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
maddog31 said:
Thanks for reading.....

I am in the process of buying a Harley. I am 'up in the air' regarding where I should store the bike. Like most of you, I consider this purchase to be a big one. Don't know where, or how to store it when I'm not riding. I live in a high-rise apartment building, and we don't have a garage. We do have covered parking (awning), but nothing to really protect a bike from the elements. Please give me a few ideas on where/how I can protect my bike from rain, salt, etc... while it's stored outside...

Thanks.
I could squeeze it into my garage......but you'll have to leave me a spare key in case I need to move it........:D

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
the first six months I had mine I was in the same situation. I stored it under covered parking and put a cover on it every day. I live in AZ, so rain and salt weren't much of a consideration, but with a good cover you should be fine.

another option I considered...
get a storage shed and put it in one of the parking spots at your complex. You'll have to get it approved by your building manager. My building manager had no problem with me doing that as long as I put it in the back of the lot.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have a buddy kind of like dfrooney above. He rents a storage garage a couple miles away for 80 bucks a month. When we ride I meet him there. He just parks his car outside, walks in, and drives his Harley away. He worries about his bike outside his apartment complex, bunch of punk ass kids screwin with his bike I guess. Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to live in Penscola, FL, so I am well familiar with the environment. An awning with a bike cover will still allow for rust accumulation. I would find a dry storage unit with some type of humidity control.

06 FXDBI

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
that bike barn thing is pretty cool.

clarification...I wasn't talking about a self storage place...I'm talking about actually getting an aluminum or wood storage shed that you would normally build in your back yard...only build it in the parking lot.

to elaborate on my situation...
I live in tempe, AZ...just outside of phoenix. the Phoenix area is known to have one of the highest theft rates in the country. on top of that, I lived in an apartment complex right near ASU...the other residents were all college students. I parked my old bike in the same place and more than a few times I found evidence of people sitting on it and such with the largest piece of evidence being the asphalt marks on the left side and the puddle of gas from where they dropped it and picked it up again. However, I never found even a finger print on the Harley. People, even drunk college students, do tend to respect things of higher value. Bottom line, I'm glad to have had a harley to worry about than to not have it all.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had the same problem last year before I moved. What I did was bought a trailer and parked it in the storage lot the appartment had to park trailers and RVs in. Stored the bike in the trailer. :yes:

·
Registered
260 Posts
He rents a storage garage a couple miles away for 80 bucks a month.
There seems to be one of these going up on every-other block these days, and this is just in lil' St. Cloud. There's gotta be more of them in Mobile. Within 1/4 mile of my apt is one where the owner actually lives on site, along with an automated gate & security system.
I am in the process of buying a Harley. I am 'up in the air' regarding where I should store the bike.
Your insurance company takes this into account also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts