V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to embrace the new technology and bought an 08' RG today. Nice bike, I made an amazing deal but now I am already thinking about the performance options. I am figurung just minor upgrades, pipes and ac of course, street port on the heads, big bore (103) and probably the R&R 525. I of course will not start anything until I have at least a reasonable probability of getting it tuned. As far as I can find out, there is no tuner yet for the throttle by wire as far as tuning the EFI. It seems the SERT is not available at this point in time.
Does anybody know what the options are? how about the future, anything on the horizion?

TIA

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
adlerx,
Congrats man! somebody has to be the guinea pig! hahaha...!!! LOL

All kidding aside, it's still a Twinkie, all the basic concepts for engine mods are in play and the SERT should be out next month. As far as the TBW goes and it's peculiarities, that remains to be seen.... but I'm sure it will get figured out by those with the skills.

Rock on!

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
There are a bunch of people working on the new SERT and hopefully they can get it figured out soon. I believe (and I have reason to believe) the biggest problem to overcome the throttle servos. Right now the servos operate slow and smooth for a smooth operation and transition into higher speeds, you can wack the throttle wide open but the servos are going to do their thing by opening slow and smooth so in reality you are going to be in front of this bike constantly. The battle with the SERT is giving us tuners a quicker reacting servo time in the software so it can be controlled. If I want 100% throttle I don't want to be waiting at 60% throttle while it takes it's good old time to to open. If you think about it this will sure eliminate the twisting of fly wheels and lugging issues Harley has had in the past.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
boeing auto throttles

HDMD88 said:
There are a bunch of people working on the new SERT and hopefully they can get it figured out soon. I believe (and I have reason to believe) the biggest problem to overcome the throttle servos. Right now the servos operate slow and smooth for a smooth operation and transition into higher speeds, you can wack the throttle wide open but the servos are going to do their thing by opening slow and smooth so in reality you are going to be in front of this bike constantly. The battle with the SERT is giving us tuners a quicker reacting servo time in the software so it can be controlled. If I want 100% throttle I don't want to be waiting at 60% throttle while it takes it's good old time to to open. If you think about it this will sure eliminate the twisting of fly wheels and lugging issues Harley has had in the past.
s

do just the same thing. slamming the throttles full forward does zero just moves a pack man lever, the computer opens up the fuel, as IT sees fit not the pilot.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HDMD88 said:
Thanks Doc, makes sense! So is there servo control adjustments in the software or is this something being worked on? If it is in there, is it hidden or something? Does this issue have anything to do with the delay of the release of the SERT for the touring bikes?
Thanks for all your input here Doc!

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Yes this is all being worked on and it is the delay as fara as I know. I don't look for this to be done anytime soon. Once it is done then we have to wait as they trickle down to the dealers. You all that have 08's other than fly by wire ECM's and don't want to wait for thenew SERT you can take your bike to thedealer and have them install a 07 ECM part number in the ECM and the 07 SERT will work for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 08 Ultra with throttle by wire and I am also interested in some aftermarket EFI Action. I have been waiting for Thundermax to come out with an auto tuner for the 08's with ETC. Does anyone know when (if) they plan on coming out with this ? I am just at the 1k mile mark and fixing to get my initial service done. Also, as a side note, I have been good and kept it under 4K RPM like I was told to do. But I know that going up to 4K I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever from the controls. It seems to "honor" the input it is recieving pretty tightly.

Doc (apparently, the other one)

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Uh oh......... TWO Doc's?

Ahem..... will the REAL Doc, please stand up??

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to DynoJet today, they said their PCIII for 08 tourers would be released in november, I spoke to Dustin who's title is technical support manager. He says that the servo/blade speed on the 08's is unaddresable and that the the PC won't address it and get this, I quote "The PCIII can NOT override the fly-by-wire system. ON this model it is basically a 1-1 ratio anyways just as if it had cables. There are few small instances where the computer does keep the throttle blade angle from opening at a slower rate than the grip angle. This is very minimal and should not affect the performance of the bike."
I am not sold and will most likely wait for the SERT or TMax...

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
I can see it now, the heated debates arguing the virtues and differences between the SE, HP Inc, Thundermax, Dobeck, and Dynojet high performance throttle servos...10ms response vs 12ms vs "its not the response time but the speed of slewing"...should be fun.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gulfstream said:
I can see it now, the heated debates arguing the virtues and differences between the SE, HP Inc, Thundermax, Dobeck, and Dynojet high performance throttle servos...10ms response vs 12ms vs "its not the response time but the speed of slewing"...should be fun.
Well, I hope I pick the one that "slews" the fastest!:whistle:

·
Hopalong
310 Posts
"Well, I hope I pick the one that "slews" the fastest!"
That's funny! The reality is, most folks prolly won't notice any difference untill they hammer it- then it feels "odd"- like a stumble, almost. My 08 AEU now has 1200 miles, mileage improved from 30 to 37, I switched to a 2-1 to try to reduce leg heat, and it is better, but it needs tuned badly. On the dyno, I did notice the butterfly is slower than the grip. Stock pipes made 70TQ & 58 HP, 2-1 made 77 TQ and 58 HP. As soon as a tuner becomes available, it'll be on the dyno.
Robin

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rigidthumper said:
"Well, I hope I pick the one that "slews" the fastest!"
That's funny! The reality is, most folks prolly won't notice any difference untill they hammer it- then it feels "odd"- like a stumble, almost. My 08 AEU now has 1200 miles, mileage improved from 30 to 37, I switched to a 2-1 to try to reduce leg heat, and it is better, but it needs tuned badly. On the dyno, I did notice the butterfly is slower than the grip. Stock pipes made 70TQ & 58 HP, 2-1 made 77 TQ and 58 HP. As soon as a tuner becomes available, it'll be on the dyno.
Robin
Which pipe did you use? I have had the propipe for the past 4 years and like it but want to go a little quieter if I can get good performance. I have heard that the Supertrapp is a little quieter and of course, it is easier to tune. You planning other modes once you get a tuner? I am thinking of going 103, mild low compression cam, maybe r&r 525 or tw26 with street port and tune up and leave it alone. Tired of messing with my bike, from now on, I wanna ride..

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I am sure there will be guys that just cable it and use an aftermarket TB. Figure out the electronics to prevent a big fat trouble code.

·
Hopalong
310 Posts
"Which pipe did you use?"
Right now, it's a Cobra 2-1 ( Pro-pipe imitation) that started rattling loose at 500 miles, so I put SuperTrapp guts in the can. Lets me play with plates on a cheap basis, cus I got the Cobra for 250 and I had a spare Trapp baffle laying around.
Robin
It'll either get a real 2-1 Trapp or a D&D Fatcat, trying to decide which sound level I'll go with. A quick build that' I've done for the 07 guys is 103 @ 10:1 (I use forged FT pistons from Kuryakyn, makes setting quench area as simple as picking a head gasket) , WT TC2 cams ( Easy starting), decent pipe and tune, makes 100+TQ and 90+HP

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I prefer the old-fashioned throttle cables over throttle by wire for simplicity, etc. But just an observation about the potential performance implications of TBW - a friend has a new R6 which now uses TBW. That bike is built with one thing on mind - maximum performance. So I'd guess that, in that application, TBW doesn't affect performance compared with a throttle cable.

Not to say it's necessarily the same for an '08 Harley. Just an observation that other companies seem to be making the technology work pretty well.

John

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
DTT is working on a it now, there kit will do everything it has done on the 08 drive by wire other than the servo control. They are getting close to having it done. So for now until the sert is completed not much you can do. Ride the bike , collect your upgrade parts and or kit and wait.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got word from a very reputable source that the 08 touring SERT has shipped to dealers. Also he does not believe there will be any way to address the thrattle servo rate in the software but since he hasn't gotten his hands on it yet, he's not saying anyhing for sure...

·
Hopalong
310 Posts
After tuning a few 08s, I see the MAP goes to ~100 KPA immediately, so I don't believe it's hurting airflow, but the throttle blade angle stays behind untill you get to 3000RPM. The touring 08's seem to be down on power due to the cams. I tuned an 08 CVO bike and got similar #s compared with last years CVOs.
Robin

1 - 20 of 31 Posts