2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Toyman 
#1 ·
I need help or advice!Have a 95inch big bore
with flat top pistons.37 cams rinehart exhaust
and Deweys heads.550 miles so far.
A friend has a Night train with yaffe pipes
and a power commander.We both hit it pretty hard
sunday and I didn't pull away from him at all.I have a power
commander also.Waiting for 1000 miles before a dyno.
I weigh about 80 pounds more than he does.Shouldn't I
have WALKED HIS ASS!

#7 ·
Who built the motor for one? Did they miss something...maybe setting up the pushrods, leak on the intake or exhaust.Second, maybe you've got the new gear ratio like SEDELUXE said and he's got the 3.37. Third, you probably need a good tune. I got lucky when I replaced my cam myself from an SE257 to a Woods TW6. I dropped the one for branch heads in there and ran the fuel up on the push buttons cuz my plugs looked like I was lean. When I had it tuned properly my peak HP went up from 87 to 93 but my peak TQ didn't change. The guy did smooth out some other areas though and my TQ after peak came up another 5 ft/lbs. What I'm saying is try a different map then add or remove fuel on the buttons til you feel a difference. Then get it tuned properly!

#8 ·
I'm also thinking a 26 cam would have been a better choice in your bike.
26 will pull more down low. The 37 peaks at higher rpm than the 26. You probably weren't into the torque curve yet and he got the heads up on you.

#11 ·
YankeeBob said:
I'm also thinking a 26 cam would have been a better choice in your bike.
26 will pull more down low. The 37 peaks at higher rpm than the 26. You probably weren't into the torque curve yet and he got the heads up on you.
Could be. I am also saying have it tuned. Motor might loosen up too. Nt sure how much effect that will make.

Also your not comparing apples to apples, as far as weight. I have driven a non bagger so don't know. But still with the build you got.....

#13 · (Edited)
My riding partner has a deuce with just SE slip ons, he was always a tick faster than my stage1 road glide before my build (95/37/propipe/bigboyz heads/pc). Since my build, it isn't even close to the point that there just is no more reason for us to race I can so easily leave him in the dust at any time. Even if we're cruising and he takes off on me, I catch and pass him like he's standing still. My bike has been tuned. After your tune, you'll probably be fine...
Shoulda seen the look on his face the first time we rode together after my build! Priceless!!
He's been pouting ever since, LOL

#14 ·
The motor is definiteley tight...............so be patient, you will feel it getting free and if there is a difference of 150lb...........you are definiteley going to need quite a bit of tq to go fast...............in this instance I agree that 3.37 gears will help and so will a 26 cam or going with the advance gear on the 37................there is also quite a bit more wind drag from the larger frontal area than the other guy has.

My weight increase was the biggest reason I could not stay in professional racing.

All the best, Ozie

#19 ·
bikes do not always run the same

I think you should of smoked him but some bikes right off the show room seem to just run better then other ones. I have a 2000 road king fuel injected
and of course it had the 337 gears. my friends 3 of them bought diff. models at the same time. I smoked all of them, any gear with ease and people always said the fuel injected ones were dogs. they had carbs & diff. gearing I'm sure. I now have stage one 88 cubes, power comander 3 usb, v&h true duals & wild things cam and stock heads. And I have smoked 95 cubed harley davidson stage kits .. also if you want to pull a quicky on some one with that road king pull on your buds with a down hill grade, I think the heavier bike has the advantage then, lol.

#20 ·
Slickwillie,
You didn't really give enough information. Was the race from a dead stop, a roll on, etc? What gear and rpm were you running in?
Probably you just need to have the bike tuned on a dyno, but maybe you just need to adjust your riding style to take advantage of what the engine has to offer.
All that said, you should probably wait until the engine is broken in before you start racing your buddies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.