V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to go into cam chest,,, whose adj. push rods are the choice to use what are the benifits versus the detriments(bad news) looking 4 most used manufacturer. thanx ride hard cb

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I like to use parts from the same manufacturer. I don't know if it matters here, but it sure does with paints and fillers, etc.
I used andrews push rods with andrews cams.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I have been using smith brothers and S+S lately. Did you want quick install pushrods or just adjustable ones?.

Although, if you are going into the camchest and using the same cams or cams with the same base circle save some money and use stock. Its a little more work but will only cost you 20 bucks for gaskets.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I didn't. SE perfect fit solids for me. I did the math, had heads off anyway, so it only made sense. I don't have to worry about what can go wrong with adjustables.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For street engines I like the quickie style pushrods.
I have used Rivera, Crane, Andrews and S&S.
So far I like the new S&S the best. They are easier to set up.
Designed for minimal amount of turning of the adjuster system.

For serious high output engines with heavy valve springs and radical cams with high RPM in mind, non quickie steel adjustable is the way to go.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
You might want to get the aftermarket pushrod tubes that make it easier to adjust the pushrods.(evo style)

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I have a set of Baisley adjustables in my Heritage. All i can say is they are much better than the SE adjustables (quick-fit).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HMMMMMMMMM,,, thanx guys, I'm gonna keep the cams in it ,need to replace tensioner shoes and check oil pump out. I may go thru the top end rather than go adj, what are the differences in quickie/ and adjustable rods( quickie is news to me) didn't know they were out there?thanx again ride hard cb

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Quick install p-rods are just that quick install and adjustable. You dont have to take off the rocker box, rockers or the lifter covers/blocks.

Adjustable NON quick install you have to remove one of the above. Many times you can just remove the lifter block covers and install the p-rods and blocks together.

Most of these also require separate p-rods covers like the ones that come with the S-E kits. Colony makes a nice kit thats like 60 bucks from drag specialties that converts your old ones.

IMHO, i use the stockers or perfect fit when i can........Stong, free and dependable.....

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Maybe its just me but I have had to take off the lifter blocks to get out my SE Quick adjust pushrods :huh: . I would take them down to were the locking nut was just about to fall off and still couldn't get them out.

Maybe due to my heads being milled down?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I use the SE pushrods. The price is right and it comes with new tubes. If you use them correctly, I don't think you'll have any problems. I was thinking of the perfect fit but if I want to change my cams, I'd have to cut the perfect fits off and buy adjustables anyway because no way I'm taking the rockers boxes off just to change the cams.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
A quick install is a rather poor design as it is a extremely flexable shup rod second they are 7/16 so they are also very likely to hit the pushrod tubes. Not to mention they are a pain to adjust.

They are a shorcut and nothing more. A properly made pushrod is not made the same way. it will very little threaded portion, will not have flats machined into the threaded area. And be only 3/8 in diam.

Have a customer that just used a set of non quick install type but they where 7/16 S&S, they are hitting the tubes. That is why we have custom made pushrods. No head aches , made of 4130 chromemoly and they clear the tubes, will not be flexing like the quick install.

Had a 103 SE build that the dealer did and the customer had taken the bike back several times for a noise. Normal was the answer, tossed the SE P/R and dropped in a set of ours problem gone.

I am not a fan of the prefect fit or stockers when head work has been done as with milling of the head you need to know that you have the correct legnth. The true adjustable will give you just that

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
HDwrench, I take it then that the regular adjustable ones will need the lifter blocks removed also to install them? How much room do you have to adjust them if you already have the pushrod covers for the SE Quick set?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Nop you would have to remove the rocker box lids and the rocker supports to install them. The whole idea is to be able to have a little adjustment rod out as you can to prevent flexing

·
Registered
751 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
I am not a fan of the prefect fit or stockers when head work has been done as with milling of the head you need to know that you have the correct legnth.
I'm assuming the perfect fit are OK as long as you know how much was taken off the heads.

The heads and cylinders for the build we discussed will be on the way next week.

Rick​

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanx guys,,, hdw I'll check out yer site 4 the p/rods an drop ya a dime later ,,, the grand son is on his way over so i'll try to get to it b-4 he shows up. I kinda thought any thing 4 a harley that calls itself quick wouldn't hold up
thanx again ride hard cb

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
A quick install is a rather poor design as it is a extremely flexable shup rod second they are 7/16 so they are also very likely to hit the pushrod tubes. Not to mention they are a pain to adjust.

They are a shorcut and nothing more. A properly made pushrod is not made the same way. it will very little threaded portion, will not have flats machined into the threaded area. And be only 3/8 in diam.

Have a customer that just used a set of non quick install type but they where 7/16 S&S, they are hitting the tubes. That is why we have custom made pushrods. No head aches , made of 4130 chromemoly and they clear the tubes, will not be flexing like the quick install.

Had a 103 SE build that the dealer did and the customer had taken the bike back several times for a noise. Normal was the answer, tossed the SE P/R and dropped in a set of ours problem gone.

I am not a fan of the prefect fit or stockers when head work has been done as with milling of the head you need to know that you have the correct legnth. The true adjustable will give you just that
Hey guys, what are you getting (price)for your adjustable pushrods and pushrod covers?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts