V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has an opinion on the Ultima 6-SPEED conversion kit for a 2001 Twin Cam Road King ? I can buy one at good price but want to know about the rliability...

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
trustinHD said:
Anyone who has an opinion on the Ultima 6-SPEED conversion kit for a 2001 Twin Cam Road King ? I can buy one at good price but want to know about the rliability...
I have one of their 6-speeds in my '02 Ultra and drag a sidehack with it. Have got maybe 15,000 miles on it now, NO problems. A good friend and I have a small indy shop and we've put in 5-6 of 'em, when we can get 'em, and have had none come back for anything. Seem to be bullet proof.

o~\o

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
My indy installs these and the ones for evos and has never had one come back. It could be the person doing the change out.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well Paul i think you hit on something there. The person doing it, as well how many youhave installed a shop that maybe does less bikes than another. We build in the 200 engines a year in house so we get to see all kinds. I have tried them and overall no failures,..... but have had my share of issues, noise, and notchy shifting. Now these are made overseas so keep that in mind. When you are comparing them to a Baker, Jims, Primo. I just used my first Primo 6 spped in the bike I built for the wife. It is a first class trans and shifts, and feels like I got what i paid for.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
Well Paul i think you hit on something there. The person doing it, as well how many youhave installed a shop that maybe does less bikes than another. We build in the 200 engines a year in house so we get to see all kinds. I have tried them and overall no failures,..... but have had my share of issues, noise, and notchy shifting. Now these are made overseas so keep that in mind. When you are comparing them to a Baker, Jims, Primo. I just used my first Primo 6 spped in the bike I built for the wife. It is a first class trans and shifts, and feels like I got what i paid for.
I am not saying that a Baker is not superior, I am saying that for someone on a budget who wants a 6 sp, cdan get a good deal here, just be sure they are done correctly. If you want a trans that will take you across the US and over the Rockies, this could be it. If you are looking for something to race with and otherwise abuse, go with the Baker.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ultima 6r

I was faced with the choice of Ultima or no 6r this year. Went with the Ultima & am delighted with it. Good rpm drop,gear spacing, & shifts well. That said, I wish it had the 3.21 low gear of the oem box. The taller 2.94 is not ideal in a bagger, but my bike has the 1.54 primary ratio. A friend has a 1.44 bike, and they feel the same if ridden calmly. Ridden hard, I kill him thru the gears. Similar bikes,mods, and both riders are fat old guys. If you have to watch the $, go with the Ultima & enjoy your 6th gear. Don.:yes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts