V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No body has any ideas about why my bike is pumping oil through the breather tube into the air cleaner? This must have happened to somebody somewhere or maybe you heard something. I need some help with this. I need to get back on the road.

·
Registered
52 Posts
BigT

I had a problem with my Fatboy when I got it home from the dealer. I rode around 50 miles and I had oil dripping from the breather, and I had a fine mist all along the right side of the scoot. I called my dealer and they told me to check the air filter. I had a high flow air cleaner installed before I picked it up. The dealer was correct the oil mist was from the K & N air cleaner. I took the air cleaner out and tapped it a few times and wiped it up the best I could. I have not had anymore problems. I hope this is your problem also. This is a very easy one to fix.

PJ

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's called reversion. If you are running drag pipes this will be more noticeable. 2 into 1 pipe will help. A cam along the lines of an andrew's tw21 will pretty much elininate it. lugging the engine will also cause this. keeping your rpm's above 2500 rpm's will lessen this. had same problem with my heritage especially after I put the mikuni 42 on. had v&h straight shots and have since went to a 2 into 1. not as pretty but better performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil from air cleaner

I bought a 02 Fatboy. I had a little oil from the air cleaner untill I took it up to the mtns. in Colorado. Then it pumped a whole qt. onto my leg. It took me three different dealers to finaly find out the problem. Buddy Stubbs Dealership of AZ. told me they had a bulletin from H-D that said is is a oil pump problem. They simply need to adjust the oil pump. They did. That was a year or so ago and I have never had another problem.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
TC-88 Oil Pump Alignment
This procedure must be performed anytime an oil pump is removed and reinstalled to ensure
proper oil pump function. It has been observed that some TC-88 engines are experiencing oil
in the air cleaner when the vehicle is driven at high speeds. The correction for this condition is
to align the oil pump using the EVO tappet block alignment screws, P/N HD- 33443.
1. Loosen all pump assembly mounting screws
2. Remove two screws diagonal to each other
3. Install tappet block alignment screws in these two positions
4. Torque the remaining screws
5. Remove alignment screws
6. Install previously removed screws and torque

june2001 HD service bullen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts