V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to order my first Harley. Have ridden a Honda Shadow 1100 for three years now, but as I'm turning 50 next May I thought it was OK to pad my self on the back and get the real stuff. I'm mainly going around town and just love the look and attitude of the Night Train. I took a test ride last weekend and it was exactly what I'd expected. Anyway, final decision not yet taken so any inputs are always welcome.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I bought the Night train because it was the only thing the dealer had in stock. It grew on me and I liked it but got tired of everyone asking how much more it cost to get a chrome harley. So I chromed it and have a garage full of night train parts now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a new 02 Fat Boy that a dealer had in stock. It will cost me just 1000 USD more than a 03 Night Train. I don't care too much whether it's a 100th Anniversary model so I'll go there next and sign for it. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Won't be this year I´m afraid. Just ordered a '03 Fat Boy and the dealer hasn't yet been able to give me a firm delivery date. He says it can be next week, or December, or March next year or… All I know is I don't how to stand the loooooong wait.

See ya around in Stockholm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had my Train for almost 2 years and I wouldn't trade for anything. It totally has the look I like and the twin cam setup has performed flawlessly. I live on the Atlantic side of Florida so the seabreeze is something you just can't get away from. If I had all the chrome it would be hell to keep clean. I think what really matters is the riders like and comfort. Thats what makes your bike your own. Enjoy the FatBoy if its your final decision. :cool:
BK

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought my 2002 night train on love at first sight - the drag bars took a bit of getting used to but now I wouldn't have any other bike. It steers much sharper than eg a Fatboy with pullbacks. It's the 'Chev corvette' of Harleys and not recommended for short people. It's a crime to mess up the mean design with comfy pull back risers, soft touring seats, chrome, etc (it's meant to be black, not shiny!! - if you want shiny bike, buy a nice deuce). I still think the NightTrain is the meanest, toughest looking HD on the street, especially with a solo LE Pera seat or similar. It's a bike to which the rider must adapt, not the other way around.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a night train and love it. I did decide to change out the drag bars for a set of pull back 1.25" t-bars. It still looks bad ass, but, I found my hands don't go numb quite as much. I also put some 3 inch forward control extensions on it. I constantly have people stop to look at it and complement my awsome bike. I would not have another.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I am 5'5" and I have an 03 Night Train. All I did was change that risers to something that had a 2" pullback and it is comfortable as heck. I plan on adding 1" or 2" forward controls next as I like my feet to be stretched out a little when I am cruising around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good choice with the Nightrain, bought mine back in April of 04. I fell in love with the black, not a big fan of chrome. Another bonus is that when I go to bike night, it's a safe bet that I will have the only one, and that brings on the attention from other bike owners. If you decide to get a Harley, you can't go wrong with any model. Good Luck and safe riding.

·
Springer
556 Posts
I love the blacked out look of the night train and that was my first choice for my first Harley. Then, as I got involved in the forum, I read a post about Night train vs. Springer and I fell in love with the springer nostalgia. So I ordered a 2005 Springer. Then they came out with the 2005 Classic Springer and I fell in love for sure(fickle I guess). I switched my order to the classic. It's in the garage right now, beautiful as can be. I knew if I got the night train that I would have to get some pull back handle bars since I am 5'9" and the reach was a little too far forward for my taste. Soooo, It's a tough call. My advice to you is don't rush into it. Give yourself some time to think about what it is you want and what kind of riding you'll be doing. These are some of the happiest decisions you'll ever make. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a Night Train in July. I think this bike is positively awesome. It is the first motorcycle I've ever owned so I cannot compare it to anything else. The only other bike I've ridden was a little Honda 250cc that I rode when I took the motorcycle rider learner's course in August- and there is obviously no comparison.

Basically I selected the Night Train because I thought it was the nicest looking bike that Harley makes. (Kind of a stupid reason for making a selection, but that's what it boiled down to). Just like cnightrain, I am not big on lots of chrome, so the "Train" really appealed to me. I was a bit concerned about the drag style handlebars and how comfortable they would be after riding the bike for a while. Fortunately I am pretty tall (5' 10") so the "reach" to the bars does not put me into an uncomfortable stretch... it actually feels pretty comfortable. I think a more conventional pair of handlebars would be MORE comfortable- but the drag style bars suit me fine for now.

I bought the custom Night Train "2-Up" seat so my wife would be more comfortable when we ride together. I like the feel of the wider custom seat than the stock seat that came with the Night Train.

My only disappointment is the sound of the stock mufflers. After shelling out all the money for the bike and some other necessities to go with it, the stock mufflers will have to stay on it until I can "justify" upgrading to something that will make it sound like a REAL Harley. :D

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
My 05 night train was just delivered today, was able to put a few miles on it before it got cold, I was shopping for a Fat Boy when I saw the black cherry train and had to have it. I am also 5'10'' and it is very comfortable for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts