V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been limping along with an old Craftsman beam style torque wrench that reads up to 100 ft-lbs, but really need to break down and buy an inch-lb reading wrench. Looking over the discussions these past few years, and also at reviews, there seems to be a big split regarding whether the Craftsman clicker style wrenches are great or a POS; the main complaint being the plastic ring used to set the torque value apparently breaking, therefore rendering the wrench useless.

I don't really care to spend the big bucks for a Snap-On if there are other suitable wrenches for light duty use. Today I saw some Proto brand wrenches on the Grainger web site. They are priced about midway between the Craftsman and the Snap-On. Anyone have experience with this brand?

Any other suggestions welcome....:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I used to sell tools, had a Matco truck in the '80s, and Proto is a fine maker of tools. I own the Proto inch pound beam wrench that you speak of, won it on eBay for a good price.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a beam style inch lb wrench, if it gets out of spec move the beam end until it reads zero. I can tell you that once you use a digital snap on ( I have not use the matco version) you will not use the click or beam style. I own 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 and they are the best thing in tq wrenchs in a long time. I can even send data to a program to record tq specs if I wanted to . For what it cost to have a tq wrench calibrated over a few years the digitals pay for themselves. If you are not having them calibrated , you should as that is the point of the accuracy. It only takes one time to break off a bolt or leave one loose to re think saving money on accuracy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
I can tell you that once you use a digital snap on ( I have not use the matco version) you will not use the click or beam style. I own 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 and they are the best thing in tq wrenchs in a long time.
I bought a demostration 1/4" digital from the snap-on dealer for a good price and bought new 1/2" and 3/8" digital GearWrench from tooltopia.com for a very good price.

Like Steve said, once you use a good digital torque wrench, you will not want to use anyting else. They are extremely accurate and almost idot proof.

Last time I looked, Ebay had a lot of snap-on digital torque wrenches for sale. Some went for a bargain.

Regards,
NC

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Proto Tools

Proto tools are very good.
We have a Proto torque multipler for crank work.
Scott

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
nc-renegade said:
1/2" and 3/8" digital GearWrench from tooltopia.com for a very good price. Like Steve said, once you use a good digital torque wrench, you will not want to use anyting else. They are extremely accurate and almost idot proof.Regards,
NC

I have Gear Wench in 1/4-3/8-1/2 from local tool supply and won't ever go back to the clickers.... Proto's are good TQ wrenches.

{salute( :spank: {salute(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts