V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HAHAHA, another "which oil" thread! Unbelievable.

Anyway, I just finished my 10K maintenance. I am trying some new fluids this time. I am trying Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic 20W-50 in the crank and chain (was SYN3). As for the tranny, my dealer is always pushing Spectro and I was hoping to find some Red Line but I found this Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese synthetic 75W-90 GL5 instead. German made stuff. Is it any good reputation wise?

Oh, and Reason #42 why I hate my dealer, they cranked the chain case drain plug on so freegin' tight I had to pound a socket in there and get vise grips on the handle to un-stick it (taking most of the metal with it). *&^%$#@!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
HD-LUX said:
... I was hoping to find some Red Line...

Try OG Racing in Manassas.

Orders over $100 are shipped free of charge. It'll arrive overnight since you are so close. :cheers:

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
HD-LUX said:
HAHAHA, another "which oil" thread! Unbelievable.

Anyway, I just finished my 10K maintenance. I am trying some new fluids this time. I am trying Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic 20W-50 in the crank and chain (was SYN3). As for the tranny, my dealer is always pushing Spectro and I was hoping to find some Red Line but I found this Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese synthetic 75W-90 GL5 instead. German made stuff. Is it any good reputation wise?

Oh, and Reason #42 why I hate my dealer, they cranked the chain case drain plug on so freegin' tight I had to pound a socket in there and get vise grips on the handle to un-stick it (taking most of the metal with it). *&^%$#@!

They (PHD) did the same SH!T to my scoot, I put them and the MoCo on notice that they over torqued my SH!T via letter. That way if my cases or cover strip out later, I might have a chance at them taking care of it.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vafatboy said:
... I put them and the MoCo on notice that they over torqued my SH!T via letter. That way if my cases or cover strip out later, I might have a chance at them taking care of it.
That's a smart play. I just lay there under my ride cursing them with every breath. When you need a Dremel tool to fashion a special wrench just to get your drain plug out something was done wrong in my book. Did I tell you the story about how they destroyed my sprocket when they were putting a new tire on the back?!? It's like they've never worked on bikes before or something.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
HD-LUX said:
Thnaks Dude. Will do!

Hell, I even have a case of Red Line MTL (primary) and Heavy Shockproof (tranny) in the shed.

If you peg me around the neighborhood a couple of times I'll give ya a quart of each :)

(I've been out of the saddle for too loooong) :laugh:

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wyodude said:
... I'll give ya a quart ...
I'll trade ya a QT of that Heavy Shockproof for a couple of those Montecristo #4 Habanos, been saving 2 fer ya ever since I promised them. That was just after she blew.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
HD-LUX said:
I'll trade ya a QT of that Heavy Shockproof for a couple of those Montecristo #4 Habanos, been saving 2 fer ya ever since I promised them. That was just after she blew.
Throw in a Delinquents patch and you got a deal. :)

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Guess I'm gonna have to start stocking stogies but I got patches...

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wyodude said:
Try OG Racing in Manassas.
Wyo, I got a good opportunity to run your Red Line offering hard today and really like the subtle differences. I noticed the smoother shifting (and easier Neutral!) right off the bat with that "Pepto-Bismol" in there. I stopped by OG Racing today (now in Sterling off Old Ox Road 606, about 5 miles from my house) and picked up more. I also got a bottle of their Red Line's Complete Fuel System Cleaner and ran a 1/4 bottle through a tank full. Although I haven't changed my fuel filter for 12K miles it's all good. I am now very comfortable with my fluids running Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 in the crank case, Red Line MTL in the primary, and the Red Line Shockproof Gear Lube in the tranny. That's the ticket for me, stick a fork in me 'cause I'm done trying different lubes.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
HD-LUX said:
Wyo, I got a good opportunity to run your Red Line offering hard today and really like the subtle differences. I noticed the smoother shifting (and easier Neutral!) right off the bat with that "Pepto-Bismol" in there. I stopped by OG Racing today (now in Sterling off Old Ox Road 606, about 5 miles from my house) and picked up more. I also got a bottle of their Red Line's Complete Fuel System Cleaner and ran a 1/4 bottle through a tank full. Although I haven't changed my fuel filter for 12K miles it's all good. I am now very comfortable with my fluids running Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 in the crank case, Red Line MTL in the primary, and the Red Line Shockproof Gear Lube in the tranny. That's the ticket for me, stick a fork in me 'cause I'm done trying different lubes.
Glad you like it. Redline is good stuff. When it gets warm again, I'll talk you into trying Redline's 20w60HD. :)

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wyodude said:
When it gets warm again, I'll talk you into trying Redline's 20w60HD.
You got your work cut out for you after reading the November AIM's oil review. Mobil 1 V-Twin got top marks for the synthetics. But I'm nothing if not flexible!

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
HD-LUX said:
You got your work cut out for you after reading the November AIM's oil review. Mobil 1 V-Twin got top marks for the synthetics. But I'm nothing if not flexible!

I'm not sure if I saw the review (have read many), was Redline part of the review?

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
SFTL-1 said:
... was Redline part of the review?
AIM, November, 2005 page 236 (starts on 32), no, they do not mention Red Line that I have seen. They do mention Amsoil and RevTech oils but it is not clear if they were tested or not. Granted no Wear Metal Tests or "scarring" test were performed and I understand Amsoil and Red Line have very good viscosity ratings as well. 10 oils were tested however, some dyno some were synthetic. HD 360, Aeroshell, Rotela, Mobil 1, Casrol GTX, Spectro 4, and Kendall GT1 were some that appear to have been tested back in 2000 and are shown in a chart.

Here's what they say. AIM Techline by Donny Petersen; "For synthetics, Mobil 1 was tops in our analysis group. ... Mobil 1 also held the top spot for viscosity (oxidation) for any of the oils tested. This viscosity retention analysis is very important for choosing and oil for your machine. Mobil 1 scored the highest ... with a viscosity rating of 86.65."

Hey Chuck, we're talkin' oils here! What's he, off in some desert somewhere?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
HD-LUX said:
Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated. :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts