V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Shipwreck said:
Anyone ever used KLOTZ in the ol V-Twin?
I had never heard of them until you mentioned them. We have lots of small lubrication companies here.

·
26 yrs USAF 6K Flt hrs
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used to use their 2 cycle racing oil in my MX bikes - many years ago. Here's their web site claim:
20W/50 Multi-viscosity KLOTZ American V-Twin Synthetic TechniPlate® Lubricant is custom formulated for the Harley Davidson® air-cooled engine. Meets and exceeds all warranty requirements for Harley Davidson® engines. Use of this lubricant provides certified warranty compliance and protection. Will not shear like petroleum oils and stays-in-grade even under the most stressful situations. High power output and piston speeds of the V-Twin engine demand the protection Klotz TechniPlate® advanced lubrication technology provides.

They also produce a Primary and tranny lube. Any haley-ho just asking if anyone had tried them out. Seemd most only use Mobil, Syn3 or Amsoil. As I've read several times here - synthetic is synthetic no matter the brand.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Shipwreck said:
Used to use their 2 cycle racing oil in my MX bikes - many years ago. Here's their web site claim:
20W/50 Multi-viscosity KLOTZ American V-Twin Synthetic TechniPlate® Lubricant is custom formulated for the Harley Davidson® air-cooled engine. Meets and exceeds all warranty requirements for Harley Davidson® engines. Use of this lubricant provides certified warranty compliance and protection. Will not shear like petroleum oils and stays-in-grade even under the most stressful situations. High power output and piston speeds of the V-Twin engine demand the protection Klotz TechniPlate® advanced lubrication technology provides.

They also produce a Primary and tranny lube. Any haley-ho just asking if anyone had tried them out. Seemd most only use Mobil, Syn3 or Amsoil. As I've read several times here - synthetic is synthetic no matter the brand.
Somethings I would want to know:

Is Techniplate moly based? If so, it builds up to a point and then starts to flake off and then acts like sandpaper.

Have they done any 4-ball wear tests? If so, what were the results?

There are at least three different base stocks of synthetic. Then you have companies that go and blend them. Then there are companies like Castrol that claim they have a synthetic oil when what they really have is a natural oil that has been hydrocracked. Castrol claims that the process makes the natural oil a synthetic.

So all synthetics are not the same.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
wkohn said:
Then you have companies that go and blend them. Then there are companies like Castrol that claim they have a synthetic oil when what they really have is a natural oil that has been hydrocracked. Castrol claims that the process makes the natural oil a synthetic.

So all synthetics are not the same.
Most synthetics are a cracked hydrocarbon molecule, (oil) very few are truely 100% synthetic and most are "blends" as well. There are a few that still use parrafin as a modifier too...

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Shipwreck said:
Anyone ever used KLOTZ in the ol V-Twin?
Klotz for years has been a main player for the 2 stroke racing market, especially in go cart racing using alcohol fuels. I am surprised they are trying to enter the harley market.

·
26 yrs USAF 6K Flt hrs
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So was I, this is the reason for my question.
George, sure would like to be able to get Amsoil here in GK.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
My buddy uses it in his dyna. He uses the straight 50WT. It's pretty expensive at Millers in Daytona. I've been trying to convert him to Amsoil but he's sold on straight weight oil.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Thanks George I sent him the info. He's been paying over $11 a quart for the Klotz. In the grand scheme a things a few dollars more a quart for oil is no big deal but $11+ a quart is ridculous. For that price they should do the oil change for free and throw in a filter.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
marvin4239 said:
Thanks George I sent him the info. He's been paying over $11 a quart for the Klotz. In the grand scheme a things a few dollars more a quart for oil is no big deal but $11+ a quart is ridculous. For that price they should do the oil change for free and throw in a filter.
I would agree with you on this.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
marvin4239 said:
He's been paying over $11 a quart for the Klotz. In the grand scheme a things a few dollars more a quart for oil is no big deal but $11+ a quart is ridculous. For that price they should do the oil change for free and throw in a filter.
IMO, more than 2 bucks a quart for oil is a rip-off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.