V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Middle Age Crisis Ends in Pain
Tue Oct 1, 8:17 AM ET

SAGINAW, Mich. (AP) - Baby boomer Jim Zimmerman's brief fling as a tough biker ended in pain very quickly.

The retiree's misadventure began when, facing 60, he gave into a youthful yen and got a local dealership to deliver a brand-new Harley-Davidson to his door.

"It was a mid-age crisis thing," Zimmerman admitted last week. "I'd see these dudes with women and thought a motorcycle would put me in like Flynn.

"I didn't look at the obvious, that I hadn't been on a bike in 30 years and probably didn't remember much about it."

Ten seconds after he climbed aboard for the first time, he struck a neighbor's utility trailer at 40 mph and broke several ribs. The odometer logged a tenth of a mile.

"It was so fast, and I didn't think fast enough," he said. "I probably panicked and throttled the gas in a death grip.

"Oh my god, I hurt in places I didn't know could hurt. The cops said it's a miracle I'm alive."

After $2,000 in insured repairs on the bike — and more on the neighbor's trailer — Zimmerman sold his Harley for an $800 loss. But the experience isn't quite over. Until his complimentary membership in the Harley Owners Group runs out, "I get a mailing every two to three weeks, reminding me of how stupid I was," he said.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
:eek: While not wanting to laugh about someone's misfortune and getting hurt while riding a bike, THIS IS JUST TOO DAMN FUNNY!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Some 60 year old swung wide on a curve in the Black Hills during Sturgis and killed himself and two others when he hit another motorcycle head on . Don't know for sure, but I assume it's a similar story-not enough experience.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Speaking of Sturgis and the Black Hills, I can recall a couple of times sitting outside at the Slash J Bar and Grill at Piedmont (little east of Sturgis on I90) and hearing guys talking about just buying a bike for the first time, trailering it to Sturgis and learning how to ride it while there.

That's scary!!!!

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
just wait- someone will sue a dealership for selling them a bike "when it's clear your honor, that the plaintiff is an idiot."

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
DJW said:
just wait- someone will sue a dealership for selling them a bike "when it's clear your honor, that the plaintiff is an idiot."
BINGO!!!! You are correct.

My wife worked for a charcoal company that also makes starter fluid nudr a different name. They were sued by a man who had sprayed fluid on a lit and burning fire and burned himself pretty bad on arms, chest, etc.(of course). Now this is something most of us have done and been quite lucky, right?

Well, he sued, admitted in court that he had read the warning and still sprayed the fluid on the fire. Jury awarded him some big bucks. Our legal system is totally screwed when it comes to things like this.

Where's taking responsibilty for your own actions(even if you're a dumbass)?

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
I repeat;

atypical

adj 1: deviating from or not conforming to type; [syn: untypical] [ant: typical] 2: deviating from what is usual or common or to be expected; often somewhat odd or strange; "highly irregular behavior" [syn: irregular] 3: not conforming to type;

1 - 8 of 8 Posts