V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1. Why did you do this?
#2. What has it done for the bike? ie: Handleing, comfort, looks (iyo) etc...
#3. Would you do it again if you were to buy another wideglide?

Also, any pic's of wideglides with drag style bars would be appreciated.
(takes along time to go through all the photos in the other threads)

Thanks guys..
BT

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
BadTwin said:
#1. Why did you do this?
#3. Would you do it again if you were to buy another wideglide?BT
#1 - Ape hangers trap a lot of air against your body due to the upright hanging on type of body position.
#2 - Makes me feel like I have more control and more on top of the bike for evasive action.
#3 - Yes would definitely due abain.

Check the pic, this is a 8" straight riser drag bar set-up...............Ward

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. Nice bike man. The front end isnt floppy at all?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
bigblock455 said:
Check the pic, this is a 8" straight riser drag bar set-up...............Ward
Hey, where did you get those risers? Thanks...

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
I think they were Jireh, about $60 if memory serves...........Ward

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
BadTwin said:
thanks. Nice bike man. The front end isnt floppy at all?
Nope real solid, especially when I swapped from spokes to the slotted 6 spokes..................Ward

·
Registered
19 Posts
----------------------------------------------------------------
#1. Why did you do this?
Comfort, riding position, style.
Seems to handle much better, but maybe this is because I'm not an apehanger guy.
#3. Would you do it again if you were to buy another wideglide?
Absolutely. This was the first mod I made.

Here are a few photos from this winter I had handy. This is an 01, with 11" rear shocks, 31" 1-1/4diameter bar on 6" risers:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/rsvmille/My Space/harley66.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/rsvmille/harley12small.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/rsvmille/harley3small.jpg

This week my new 18x5.5 wheel with 180 and slim jim arrives, so the next photos will look a lot different! :)))) :chopper:

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Here's a pic of my 97. I used Deuce risers and bars with no change to cables. I had two extensions milled to sit under the risers to make sure the bars wouldn't hit the tank.

I did mainly for looks, no problems with handling, in fact it handles better.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wydeglyde said:
Here's a pic of my 97. I used Deuce risers and bars with no change to cables. I had two extensions milled to sit under the risers to make sure the bars wouldn't hit the tank.

I did mainly for looks, no problems with handling, in fact it handles better.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Now this is different... I like the look of those Deuce bars. I was thinking of something like a knuckle bar type set-up..

Do you have any other pic's of your bike with some different angles?

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
BadTwin said:
Now this is different... I like the look of those Deuce bars. I was thinking of something like a knuckle bar type set-up..

Do you have any other pic's of your bike with some different angles?
You bet!

and the ultimate wideglide (not mine)

?prty:

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
wydeglyde said:
Three questions. How high are the machined exstensions? Were the bars hitting the bike before you used the exstensions? I know you don't have dyno numbers but seat of the pants which of your bikes is faster? Thanks.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
bigblock 455

I didn't run the bars without the extensions, I knew they would hit.
Here are the dimensions:

Overall Diameter - 1 5/8"
Length - 1 1/2" (they could be cut down to 1" and clear the tank)
Diameter of cutout at top - 15/16"
Height of cutout 3/16"

The Dyna is definetly faster than the Roadglide. It's a real fun bike to ride. So is the RG in its own way. :xhere:

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
Thanks for the information. It looks like our taste in bikes and engine work runs together. The RG will be a TW-37G with decked '06 heads, .030 Cometic .....Enjoy................Ward

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
These Carlini bars on my 1995 FXDWG fit me perfect and track very true. Easy to swere around stuff in the road and take curves very well. They feel great and make for fun cruising. 10" rise...measured from the triple tree to the center of the handle bars. I'm 5'7" and could not ask for a better fit. May get a more butt-friendly seat someday though.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
bigblock455 said:
Thanks for the information. It looks like our taste in bikes and engine work runs together. The RG will be a TW-37G with decked '06 heads, .030 Cometic .....Enjoy................Ward
I noticed that before, :cheers: Here's to two of the best bikes on the road. I am installing a SERT on Tuesday and getting the RG dyno tuned. Hope to see some good numbers.

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
Cool ~!Awesome! ,...........please post the dyno numbers I'm interested in the build.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I went w/HD pullback risers and chrome lowrider bars. They come closer to you vs. regular straight bars. Sorry can't post pics.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
wydeglyde said:
bigblock 455

I didn't run the bars without the extensions, I knew they would hit.
Here are the dimensions:

Overall Diameter - 1 5/8"
Length - 1 1/2" (they could be cut down to 1" and clear the tank)
Diameter of cutout at top - 15/16"
Height of cutout 3/16"

The Dyna is definetly faster than the Roadglide. It's a real fun bike to ride. So is the RG in its own way. :xhere:
Wydeglyde I have a set of Duece risers and am setting them up for my Low Rider. I note that the spacer you had made up is 1 5/8" in diameter. The bottem of the Deuce riser above the extrusions is also 1 5/8" but on my triple tree the riser indents are 1 1/2". Did you use something to shim this flush with the triple tree and then just mount the spacer flush on top of the tree? On My Low Rider I do not think I will need a spacer to clear the dash. So I plan on grinding off the lower extrusion on the Deuce riser and but I still need to deal with the riser indents where the stock risers mount to the bushings. I was thinking of just using some washers as spacers until it is flush with the triple tree and then mounting the Deuse riser. I do not see a problem but am I missing something? I would hate to srew up the stearing causing injury or worse damage to my bike. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts