V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to kick around the idea of a trip out west this summer. I've got some family in Ten Sleep, WY so that might be a destination. What's your favorite route from here (Delaware...or Philly, Baltimore, DC, etc) to there (let's say Cody, Wyoming)? I don't mind slab, I just don't like city slab. It sure doesn't need to be all two-lanes, but it would be great to avoid mega-congestion. I know there are a lot of options, but I'm asking for your favorite route. Let's assume no more than 400 miles a day and no rush to get there.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Ya gotta go here

From Cody go North on 296 toward the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone Park and turn right on Hwy 212 to Red Lodge Montana. Generally considered to be the best road in America and I absolutely agree.
Riding with friends,
Geoff of WA

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Geoff of WA said:
From Cody go North on 296 toward the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone Park and turn right on Hwy 212 to Red Lodge Montana. Generally considered to be the best road in America and I absolutely agree.
Riding with friends,
Geoff of WA
Rt 212, Beartooth Hwy. is closed due to a landslide...unknown when it will reopen...

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
jmbaker3 said:
Rt 212, Beartooth Hwy. is closed due to a landslide...unknown when it will reopen...
Beartooth was re-opened in October just in time for it to close for the season.
If you really have to go to Ten Sleep, take Hwy 16 from Buffalo, Wy and just be ready to be blown away by the view. :yikes:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
My advice is from Delaware to say mid Kansas or so take I-70. I only say this so you can spend more time out west. In my opinion you can't beat Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Wyoming for great scenery and great roads to ride. I made a cross country trip in 2000. Can't wait until I can afford to go again. Theres so much to see and so many places to go it would take a lifetime to see it all. Among my list of "must see" places are the Grand Canyon, Glacier National Park, California Redwoods, Pacific Ocean and Mt Ranier. Also most anywhere in the states mentioned earlier. We took 28 days and rode 9800 miles and there was still so much we would have like to see but just didn't have the time. Take a good camera and plenty of film. Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Sinker said:
I'm starting to kick around the idea of a trip out west this summer. I've got some family in Ten Sleep, WY so that might be a destination. What's your favorite route from here (Delaware...or Philly, Baltimore, DC, etc) to there (let's say Cody, Wyoming)? I don't mind slab, I just don't like city slab. It sure doesn't need to be all two-lanes, but it would be great to avoid mega-congestion. I know there are a lot of options, but I'm asking for your favorite route. Let's assume no more than 400 miles a day and no rush to get there.

Check out a book called Road Trip USA. This book describes trips across the USA on the old highway system (e.g., US-20) as opposed to the Interstate system.

Traveling on the old highway system is cool because the highway goes through town not around them.

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
wyodude said:
Check out a book called Road Trip USA. This book describes trips across the USA on the old highway system (e.g., US-20) as opposed to the Interstate system.

Traveling on the old highway system is cool because the highway goes through town not around them.

regards,

wyo
Get the book but until then check out www.roadsideamerica.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Higway 85

If you decide to use Highway 85 that runs in the Northeastern part of Wyoming ride with caution. From dawn to say about 10:00 am in the morning during mid June I counted one dead deer, six live deer, one of which ran across in front on me by 10-15 feet and one cougar or mountain loin that like wise ran in front of me. The roads were wet then so I was doing about 35-40 mph although posted speeds were upwards to 65 mph. The cages were speeding like mad through this area thoroughly ignoring the wildlife postings. If the weather had been better it would have been a great ride full of twists and turns. It was also darn cold.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
visited Wy and ten sleep last year from PA

Ran the slab to Illinois

Picked up highway 36 and ran across northern Kansas, desolate and gorgeous.

80-90mph two laner

Same into CO, across northern colorado, Rocky Mtn park etc

Then north straight up through Wy and into Jackson

It was a great trip I prefer the two laners once we get past all of these big arse citys in the northeast and midwest

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife and I did the Beartooth run in September and I can say you will not be dissapointed. Had some very amazing scenery. I stayed in Cody at a little cabin and had a great time in the evening. Next time we go im taking more time and go thru Yellowstone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts