V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
I have an inside source. My wife's sister works at the DMV.

Doesn't help with pics, though.

Sent from here to there.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
In NJ it's like going to Walmart. When you finally walk out you are shaking your head thinking "that's an hour of my life I'll never get back..."

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went to the Sacramento California DMV several months ago for a "Real ID". It took two months to get an appointment. I go there with everything required, as listed on website. I had an original birth certificate from the Air Force base I was born at, that listed my current address on it. I had a pilots certificate and mechanics certificate (technically the FAA does not issue licenses, they issue certificates), both of which had my current address on them. The pilots and mech. cert had a hologram on its face. None of the aforementioned federal docs, were good enough to satisfy proof of residency. I left pissed. Made another appointment. I go to the next appointment with a letter from my dentist. It was not a bill for services and not even on his letterhead. It was unsigned. They accepted it. And, when they did accept it, I had to sign a statement that I provided an additional proof of residency. Obviously, so they could cover their asses. 'Cause they photo copied everything-I think.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I went to the Sacramento California DMV several months ago for a "Real ID". It took two months to get an appointment. I go there with everything required, as listed on website. I had an original birth certificate from the Air Force base I was born at, that listed my current address on it. I had a pilots certificate and mechanics certificate (technically the FAA does not issue licenses, they issue certificates), both of which had my current address on them. The pilots and mech. cert had a hologram on its face. None of the aforementioned federal docs, were good enough to satisfy proof of residency. I left pissed. Made another appointment. I go to the next appointment with a letter from my dentist. It was not a bill for services and not even on his letterhead. It was unsigned. They accepted it. And, when they did accept it, I had to sign a statement that I provided an additional proof of residency. Obviously, so they could cover their asses. 'Cause they photo copied everything-I think.
I was in Sacto about 13 years ago for a weddiing
Nothing personal, but I am really glad I don't live there.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Two observations: nobody comes out looking good in their license picture. Secondly, a kid gets up to take his picture w/ his 'man bun' in place. All I can think was that in 5 years, he's gonna regret it!
You get the "I can fly" status?

I passed when it was my turn

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
In NJ it's like going to Walmart. When you finally walk out you are shaking your head thinking "that's an hour of my life I'll never get back..."
Do they still register all bikes in March? I didn't even turn my plate in for the season. Insurance ran for 6 months. Once in a while there would be nice days when I wasn't insured, but I didn't think about such things back then.

tarheel

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Not anymore. Bikes are like cars, whenever you register is the anniversary it's due. They did finally eliminate bike inspections about 5-6 yrs ago. Glad that BS is finally over.
And as far as cars go they should stop doing inspections on them too. Now a days you drive in and all they do is plug into your diagnostic plug. No error codes and you pass. My wife's Jeep Wrangler passed with no front license plate (mandatory in NJ) and my Hummer H3 passed without a working horn. After 20 yrs you get a letter saying your car is too old and doesn't require inspection so my '96 Ford F250 is now good for life. Funny, they still need a huge staff to run the inspection stations.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
I actually would like to see Florida do inspections on cars. Can you imagine how many old / low income people are driving unsafe cars? Makes me a bit nervous when I'm riding, especially when at a stop light/sign.
Where I live a 20 yr old car is a new car and at 200,000 miles it is broke in. These vehicles are in good shape. The druggie cars are the ones to watch for. Even the poor have one decent vehicle as we have no mass transit.

tarheel

·
Registered
502 Posts
I actually would like to see Florida do inspections on cars. Can you imagine how many old / low income people are driving unsafe cars? Makes me a bit nervous when I'm riding, especially when at a stop light/sign.
I don't think inspections are going to help with the POOR drivers that seem to proliferate here in florida…..

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
DMV and inspection is too easy here. I have 4 vehicles and all are inspected within 15 minutes of each at $13.65 a pop. I don't go back and forth I stay there with one car. The license agency next to never has more than a couple people in one of four lines. The young ladies always cheerful and sometimes wear something low cut. I might be married, but I can still look.

tarheel

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Registration here is easy to renew online, Motorcycles are every year, cars get two years.

Inspections are once a year for any road going vehicle, $22 for cars and $6 for bikes and trailers. No emissions inspection for bikes. Cars that are old enough (95 or older) are around $10 inspection for basic safety item (like brakes and tires). Not too bad, but a hassle at times like when you have lapsed for a year like all my bikes are now.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Registration here is easy to renew online, Motorcycles are every year, cars get two years.

Inspections are once a year for any road going vehicle, $22 for cars and $6 for bikes and trailers. No emissions inspection for bikes. Cars that are old enough (95 or older) are around $10 inspection for basic safety item (like brakes and tires). Not too bad, but a hassle at times like when you have lapsed for a year like all my bikes are now.
No inspection for trailers here. Most don't even have a license plate or lights unless they go out of state much. I bought a forever plate for $75 title is for a '64 Elgin, but the plate fits all the trailers. Lots of license checks here to curtail the drunks and druggies.They look at plate stickers and ID. I am a Z 4 and they wave me through usually.

tarheel

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Here in new hampster renewals thru the mail and sometimes license renewal On the cpu. Sux to go to any dmv. The bigger the city the bigger the bs. Use to live in providence,ri....omg!! What a chit state.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts