V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try the Venom AM42. I called my local indy and they wanted $190 for it so I went for the 880 again for $135. Yeah, I know I should buy it off the net and do it myself but it would take me a full day to take one off , get it mounted and balanced, and put it back on. It's just easier to sit there for 1.5 hours and let them do it. At $65 per hour. They charge 1.5 hours for a rear and 1 hour for a front. I am going from the 150/80/16 to a 140/90/16. Will the extra load rating do me any good on a fxdx-t?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Fred1369 said:
I wanted to try the Venom AM42. I called my local indy and they wanted $190 for it so I went for the 880 again for $135. Yeah, I know I should buy it off the net and do it myself but it would take me a full day to take one off , get it mounted and balanced, and put it back on. It's just easier to sit there for 1.5 hours and let them do it. At $65 per hour. They charge 1.5 hours for a rear and 1 hour for a front. I am going from the 150/80/16 to a 140/90/16. Will the extra load rating do me any good on a fxdx-t?
First, find a new place to get your tires done! Hundred for rear and 65 for front is ROBBERY!
Second, on your dyna, the 150 would probably be fine unless you weigh 300 and ride two up all the time(like me). I did run a 150 for a short time (in a Metz pinch) and had a chance to roll over some scales maore than once. I was right on the load limit but that was on a fully loaded Road Glide with 300# me and 100# OL. The other thing to remember is that the rating is for the speed rating of the tire. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't that comfy about the whole thing..
Oh Yeah! find a place that'll let you pay an extra few $$ for carry in tires, $190 for an avon is OUTRAGEOUS...

Just sayin'

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
When factoring load rating you use both front and rear numbers to reach a total. Nothing wrong with a 150. I've seen Avons for less $$ than Metz, but you would have to find someone to mount and balance. Most shops (rightfully so) prefer to sell the tires they mount. The Brazilian Metzler's are running a little smaller width wise than the German made Metz's. That's what a "global economy" does for you. Less for the same price.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they claim that the big price difference is because they are an authorized Metzler dealer and they get a discount from Drag Specialties. The other indy I go to would charge me less for the labor but a little more for the tire.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Fred1369 said:
they claim that the big price difference is because they are an authorized Metzler dealer and they get a discount from Drag Specialties. The other indy I go to would charge me less for the labor but a little more for the tire.
OK, I am gonna try to explain this but not sure I can, I'll try.
I have good friends who are indys, have a 3 lift shop, big enough to have a brand new Dyno Jet 250i. The plain truth is, the parts houses make it easy for these guys to get parts with special incentives and expedited cheap S&H and discounts that allow these shops to make some nice change if they sell the parts for catalog list. This includes TIRES. They don't have time to pour over web page after web page looking for the best deal by an extra twenty cents on a part like an individual does, like I do. We have discussed this extensively and it is just not worth the time to do this. They are well aware that I can get the tires MUCH CHEAPER than they can take the time to find em and set up an account. They make less than $15 on a tire. I get my tires for $50 dollars cheaper than they do. I pay them a little extra to cover their profit on the tire and have my tires shipped direct and they are happy for the business and happy because they didn't have to take time out to order a tire for me....

OBTW, for a dresser, they charge $30 labor for front and $35 for rear, that's a ride in while you wait price to everyone, not just me cuz I am friend, I was a customer first...

I don't know if any of this makes any sense but if you are dealing with a small to moderate size Indy shop, talk to them! If you can't talk to them, keep paying 100 labor and 150 for tire and going to the dealer...

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, it makes sense. There are only 2 indies here in Raleigh and their labor charges are about the same. I got the 150/80/16 this morning and it cost a total of $230 while I waited. Apparently I have been running the Metz under inflated. I had them between 35-40 and they should be 40-45. The rear tire had a flat bottom with no tread contact on the road and the front tire is cupping but has plenty of tread left. It does have some dry rot showing in the tread grooves so I'll get a new front in the spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts