V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I saw the answer for this on the forum but just cannot find it. I am looking for info on what welding rod and procedures to use for welding a 304 stainless steel O2 bung onto the stock headers. Does anybody know? Can anybody point me in the right place to find the info if they don't know?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
There are some discussions on "my" thread at:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73181

Also, check out this Forum's "Archive".

Best

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
You need to use rod of at least the same grade as the highest grade stainless you are joining. ie. 304 joined to 316 you would use 316 rod or wire.

Joe

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jasilva said:
You need to use rod of at least the same grade as the highest grade stainless you are joining. ie. 304 joined to 316 you would use 316 rod or wire.

Joe
Joe,

The O2 bung is 304 stainless the stock headers are a lower grade of steel. So your saying use a 304 rod? Do I need to pre or post heat it? If so to what temps?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
I use a mig so I'm not sure about pre/post heating. I lay the bead going forward rather than dragging back with it to minimize heat when I'm welding on exhaust pipe since it's fairly thin. You don't want to have any distortion so you may want to post heat to allow the weld to relax. But take that for what it worth, I use a mig because I suck at stick welding.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wkohn,
If you are TIG welding just use 304,it is also a good practice to pre-heat any light welding you dont want to warp or distort(400 to 450 deg) instead of post heat just cover it and let it cool down slowly.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toolie' said:
Wkohn,
If you are TIG welding just use 304,it is also a good practice to pre-heat any light welding you dont want to warp or distort(400 to 450 deg) instead of post heat just cover it and let it cool down slowly.
Thanks toolie. I thought it should be preheated but wasn't sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts