V-Twin Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Here for the education!
788 Posts
I am not in love with the change they made to the late rods. The old bushings were wider and not a typical problem area. The new ones too early to tell or have others seen failures or premature wear?
The wheels are not a machined forged billet so many have the impression they are "weaker" but we have not seen any break have we? They are definately less expensive to produce but that is not conclusive evidence they are weaker. I don't think the late cranks are much weaker, just the press fit is less. I have had this fact confirmed by my local crank shop that takes them apart. He is amazed at how easy the new ones press apart compared to the older units. Why is this?? I can only speculate but it is real.
I have tore apart two bikes now that have had the piston pin bushing spun almost 90*. Last week I did make a tool and was able to replace the bushing. Had to cut the taper into the new bushing after it was installed. Used the old style bushing that harley had in the oem wheels for the longest time. These were bronze bushings and the new tapered rods had brass bushings. I'm hoping the bronze bushing will last longer, time will tell. Really wish the customer would have opted to replace the rods instead, oh well. Can lead a horse to water, but can make him drink...

·
Registered
13 Posts
can you reapeat that in english? LOL. so evidence shows that external bearing supports on a rolller bearing engine would be better that a timken motor----even at the drag strip? have often wondered if the timken could control radial loads as well as a roller, but i am just a *** *** without a degree. obvious the timken can can control axial movement better, but hey--if side loading is eliminated or lessened with the twin cam, then should we put money on the roller? think of a worked suzuki pro stock, serious rpm and HP, leaving with a big slick, are they concerned with it sucking the crank out the side of the motor, or pulling the crank toward the tranny? also look at the load on a motorcross bike WFO hitting the ground and hooking hard at full power, all roller!!!

not trying to be an engineer, and havnt stayed at holliday inn express, but have always been curious about this.

would truly love to hear from an engineers point of view.
I used to race those two strokes I know this is an Old Post 2009 but I looked at the Harley bottom and I used to race those big 170 240 horsepower 2 stroke 3 cylinders and yeah there's quite a bit of difference see they run double bearings on each side of the flywheels andr smaller flywheels they Rev to 9700 RPM the bearings are doubled up and their pinned and the case actually bolts on both sides of the bearing and it there's a lot more going on with those two stroke engines than what meets the eye these Harley-Davidsons are very inadequate yes they hold up yes they work but they are extremely inadequate immediately when I looked at this 103 and I bought a 2015 model immediately why didn't they make the case wider or why didn't they double up the bearing on the drive side they could have put a Thrust bearing on the inside that would have kept the alignment there's a number of things they could have done would have been just as strong as the Timken andmore rebuil friendly without having to set it up course setting up a timken's not hard either, but I said the same thing when I looked at the bottom end of a Harley-Davidson Twin Cam I thought what a piece of crap crank scissor there's a fix for that too there used to be a typical clutch in nineteen 71 72 the clutch was round the outer and inside cover used to wobble find scissor and did all kinds of junk the fix was to put a hex shaft now they could put a round shaft in the middle for the rod bearings and have the outer edge that both ends of the flywheels press into on a stop sign Type HEX shaft that would have fixed every problem, once pressed on it would not move they could have made the flywheels a little bit wider Where It Bolts onto the hex all of these things would have made it stronger they could have use their existing design and once they get there it would still be just as cheap there is no excuse for how kin see and how crappy Harley-Davidson belt their new modern engines after the eagle there is no solid quality you're buying a bike that is going to have to be done properly you know yet it's a crapshoot I mean I bought one that catastrophic failure twice before 10,000 Mi friend of mine bought one and his went 72000 miles without touching and he sold it you just never know and that is the Harley-Davidson shame they charge more than any other bike manufacturer and they build the lowest quality engineered engine on the market they look the best they sound great they ride pretty good pretty good not great and yes you could bulletproof them but for the money we spent they are to come Bulletproof they could have built a better bike for those bearings when they're double up the garage side do the things I said and you would basically have the high-performance two-stroke type setup you're talking about and yes it would be I would guess stronger than the Timken if you did it properly because I have beat the heck out of those two stroke engines and they just do nothing but run and run and run and run and then when you finally wipe out a bearing you just press them off put new ones on put it back on the existing flywheels usually you don't have to replace the rods in the needles they all the fine it's just a drive side bearings the one or two bearings on the outside you replace those do you go another who knows how many miles before you finally have to replace it all or press all new bearings on to it they're extremely strong Harley should be ashamed of what they've done the engineers with all their degrees and that's the best they come up with by the way I am an engineer

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is an old thread but that was some good advice he had bring it up to two stroke engines I have to I too thought the same thing and they could have built it so strong if I thought it would make a difference I would almost want to design one I actually seriously thought about it but it would cost me so much money to design the bottom and then trial and error and you know plus I think we could get a pretty close the first time out

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It's already been done, and there was not enough interest for it to still be around. Look for Mid-USA Powerhouse 114 engine. From 12-14 years ago, maybe 20 or more.

What I remember was cases split horizontally; side by side, not forked rods; plain bearing bottom end. Said to rev to 7K all day.

Just not from the Harley Davidson mold.

Now, put this back to bed for another 12 years.

·
Registered
1991 FLHTP
239 Posts
19evo98, I'm going to post this again (I posted this on another of your run-on posts). As you are speaking into your phone, simply say the words "comma" or "period" and the phone should add them for you. At least that's how my phone works. Very simple. Why don't you try it at least once?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Timken bearings for me. S&S cranks are not welded and i have never heard of one shifting. When i fitted my S$S i asked my builder if i should weld and he no. He makes 180 HP (Turbo Charged) with same crank & no problems

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a 2003 RK - the factory bottom end went bad at 65 K miles - Rebuilt it with used flywheels- trued & welded them - they are true to < .001 . - stock roller bearings - I now have 230K miles on it . - The engine is 95" +020 - cranks at 210 - 12 - Woods 6H cams - head work , gear drive , fueling oil pump, cam plate + Amsoil oil - That's about 165 K miles on that bottom end + what ever was on it before.
As to the previous post about the S&S wheels not being welded - they are a different animal - they don't need to be welded & are not going to shift

·
Super Moderator
21,833 Posts
Here a little proof of concept video.

Some of the best money you can spend on a twin cam or M8 Harley is fixing the wheelset.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Side point question, Whos, or what kind of cases you guys running with big Strokers??
thanx

41 - 52 of 52 Posts