V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after fighting with this 05 road king looking for a serious oil leak I finally found it.
looks like the trans housing has a crack behind the pivot shaft pass through on the right side. I confirmed the oil is leaking through there then down the top of the oil pan and then everywhere.

My question is, can this be welded up or does the whole housing need to be replaced?

Any thoughts what would cause this?

Automotive tire Grey Rim Flash photography Camera lens
Human body Grey Font Personal protective equipment Asphalt

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can give you my 2 cents. It looks from the pic that not all of the stress area is in your circle. It looks like it extends beyond what you have circled. This leads me to think that there may be a bad casting to start with. Unless you rode it into a hole and know for sure how it happened. So, yes it can be welded, but you are only going to be able to weld over the top of crack and will never be sure you got all of it and never know if you have stress cracks already formed but not seen. And yes, it needs to be replaced. I can't imagine you would want to ride on a bunch of "ifs".

·
Registered
2007 Electraglide Ultra
22 Posts
It may be able to be fixed by welding, but I would not just weld over the top of the crack, need to find the ends of the crack and drill through to stop the spread and machine out a recess and fill in with weld, as already stated it needs to be clean.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s a friends bike so not sure what he was doing but I know he was having fun with the 113” I put in fir him. Looks like the case is 02-06 only so that would explain why It’s harder to find good used ones online.

I’ll get to pulling the trans out today since it’s gotta come out either way. Wish I made more room before tearing it down haha. These baggers just take up so much dam space in my garage, I can fit two FXRs in the same spot and with 5 bikes already in there, wifey is jut going to have to use the front door to get in and out the house for awhile haha.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the trans pulled yesterday. Cleaned it up real good and found the crack seems to spread over the top of the mounting tab as well. Not sure how reliable a weld job would be, might have to replace the case at this point.

Hand Grey Automotive tire Tints and shades Auto part
Tints and shades Monochrome photography Circle Metal Auto part
Automotive tire Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system Tints and shades
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Grey
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Gesture
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part Tints and shades

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
Those transmissions are not that hard to come by. I would just swap it out. Buy a trans, then sell which ever gear cassette you don't use to recover most of the cost.

To fix that it will need be cleaned more than you can do with a scrub brush. It really should have the oil baked out of it. Then it will need to be cut down so as to weld the crack all the way through. And it should be done in some sort of jig, so that it doesn't draw that shaft bore out of alignment.

I suspect the the cutting will find a casting defect, which is why it cracked in the first place.

Those bosses are known for breaking off, and usually its from sand in the aluminum pour.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would replace that case. Sure, you could weld it up, but if its cracked through enough to leak oil, you are in danger of the swingarm tunnel breaking off the transmission, and if that happens, prepare for death wobble 9000. Not worth the risk, In my opinion- just swap the entire cassette into another case and be done I say.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup. He bought a used complete trans so hopefully we can put that one in and he can sell his gear set to recoup some costs. I had a couple welders look at it and none of them were confident of longevity after they welded the crack.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yup. He bought a used complete trans so hopefully we can put that one in and he can sell his gear set to recoup some costs. I had a couple welders look at it and none of them were confident of longevity after they welded the crack.
Good opportunity to check the swingarm tunnel by running the pivot axle through and make sure its not wallowed out. A little rare, but does happen. Easy fix is to have a shop over bore then press a bushing into the thing to take up the slack. Can cause handling issues if loose, especially on Dyna models with only one mount, under the transmission, vs a mount on either side on touring bikes.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s a friends bike but I agree. If I help someone it’s gotta be to my standards or I won’t do it. Have pissed off friends before who wanted to pinch Pennie’s but I gotta have standards somewhere right hahs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts