V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the wiesco<sp> pistons for the 883 to 1200 upgrade? I hear that they are the ticket for not having to upgrade the valvetrain..... Just wondering if this is the right move.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wiseco pistons

Gado, I just had these pistons installed in August. My mechanic says he has done a lot of conversions using these and has had no complaints yet. I've only put about 3000km (1800 miles) on the bike since then. Only thing I found is the engine runs hot, but I expected that. It is a long proccess to get everything worn in. I still haven't "paid the Harley tax" although I just put a down payment on it with the purchase of s&s slip on mufflers (not installed yet). I can notice quite an increase in power and what I really noticed was the holding power on a steep down hill. It also sounds different and I can't wait to hear these new mufflers. After the mufflers comes the rest...less restrictive air cleaner and new jets in the carb. Then it will have a few more horses. By the way my bike actually did less spitting and popping after the conversion than before and the carb was not touched. Anyway good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You say that you had the conversion done for you. May I ask how much was the labor for just the bore job on the cylinders? I plan on doing the upgrade myself, and haven't priced machine work yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gado, the machining work cost $495. That should work out to about $310 US. By the way I installed the new mufflers and the bike runs great. It never missed a beat when I had it out yesterday. Nearly froze my ass off though. It sure sounds good now. I have a permanent grin etched into my face:)

cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
wiseco big bore kits

had a 1375cc kit (Wiseco by S+S) installed which required some major work. (Along with changes on exhaust, carb and heads) It turned my tame 883 into a mean machine. Rode some 5.000 mls since conversion without experiencing the least of a problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ben, how much was the 1375 kit, and how extensive was the machine work? Is there a place on the net to check out this kit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
wiseco big bore kits

Gado,

I bought it in Europe and it was about $1,000. To fit the bigger cylinders, the engine case had to be turned out. Not an easy job, but well worth it.

For more info about making your Sporty wild (and your bank account empty) check this out: http://www.sscycle.com/index2.asp

Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts