V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ball and socket swivel joints on my '04 RK are pretty worn so I decided to replace them with Heim joints I just ordered from here. I was thinking that one end is right hand and the other is left hand thread. I already ordered them like this(R and L thread) but now I'm doubting myself. I don't have my bike here so I can't check so my question is are both ends of the shift rod right hand thread or is one a left like I thought? If I was wrong I think I can still change my order.

Justin

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I am pretty sure on the touring bikes, the rear is reg RHT. The front, however may be just a clean hole that you use a nut and bolt with....oh and dont forget the threadlocker (blue)...now Krayven has me thinking as i am not by any bikes......

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
My '03 FXDWG and '05 FLHTCUI were/are both RH.
It would make too much friggin' SENSE for it to be like a turnbuckle.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it sounds like I'll have to call them and make both RH.

It doesn't make sense to have them the same because if you loosen the locknuts and turn the rod, you'll only accomplish making the the rod length exactly the same. Right? I would think HD would have engineered a little more commen sense into it such a simple thing.

Anyone know where I can get a 10 1/2"(I think) rod with oposite 5/16-24 thread on either end?

Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts