V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.
I've got an 05 RK Custom and have been noticing a weird sound coming from the engine only on hard acceleration. It sounds like rocks hitting the fender or crackling. Again, this sound is not there at cruising speeds...only when i open the throttle to accelerate.
Any help is appreciated...thanks in advance.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Preignition or detonation... Really hard to say with the info given.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for not giving more info on my bike.
The engine is stock. All I have done so far is upgrade the air filter, exhaust (SEII), SERT. The bike has approx. 3500 miles on the engine.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Something simple would be to read your plugs.....How was the SERT set up? The reason I'm asking cuz if you are running lean, when the throttle is opened, you'll hear a sound like someone rattling ball bearings around........

·
C'ya on the road
146 Posts
My first thought would be, during acceleration, turn the radio volume up and at cruising speed, turn it back to normal. Works for me. On second thought, may be the compensating nut is loose. Hard to tell without hearing it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies...i know this is a tough question to answer without hearing it.
It does sound like something is loose and is vibrating on hard acceleration.
If it is the compensating nut...where is it? Is this something I can tighten at home or do i have to take this to the stealership?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
newultraclassic said:
Too lean and pre-ignition.
when I first had the air cleaner and new pipes put on, they just installed the factory download. I was backfiring like crazy. I ended up buying the SERT and richened the air/fuel ratio and this solved the backfiring problem. I was running great for about 2500 miles. All of a sudden, about 100 miles ago I started to notice this noise.
Can you elaborate a bit on the pre-ignition part? How do I check this?

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
mcbean7 said:
when I first had the air cleaner and new pipes put on, they just installed the factory download. I was backfiring like crazy. I ended up buying the SERT and richened the air/fuel ratio and this solved the backfiring problem. I was running great for about 2500 miles. All of a sudden, about 100 miles ago I started to notice this noise.
Can you elaborate a bit on the pre-ignition part? How do I check this?

Well, if you have a SERT it would take a re-programming to reset the Fuel-Air mixture. As far as retarding the timing on a T.C. someone with more knowledge than myself can probably address that.

Sometimes, though, when an engine is too lean, it will pre-ignite due to heat from the lean condition.

As far as the compensator sprocket, it would make one heck of a racket most all of the time if it were loose. there is a new procedure for tightening them. You can find it on Harley Hog's website under Bulletins.

If you have some loctite and a proper socket, breaker bar and torque wrench, you could certainly do the checking and tightening of the compensator sprocket yourself.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
For peace of mind, hook up the SERT in Data Mode and go for a ride. Make sure you hear the noise, then look at the data run and see if there was any knock retard activity.
If so, detonation.
If not, something else.
Hint:
Do something like runn ing it up to redline or let it idle or shut it off for a bit after you are sure you have heard the noise. That'll make it easier to find on the data run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts