V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently picked up my bike from having the 5k service + O2 sensor relocation done, and now notice that my engine diagnostic light acts a little differently.

When I first turn the bike on, it comes on while it releases whatever pressures may have built up. Then the light goes out for about 5 - 10 seconds before coming back on again. The light is then lit for another 5 - 10 seconds and then turns off and stays off. This happens whether I fire the bike up after the first "cycle" of the light or not.

I checked my service manual, but it refers to the electronics manual, which I do not have.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I'm going to take it back to the shop for them to fix it, but I'm just curious as to what the problem might be.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Check Engine Light

The "check engine" light is kind of a catchall for just about everything to do with the electrical and ignition system. I experienced a similar on-off-on sequence on startup - and then about a month later the CE light came on and stayed on - it turned out the Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM) had gone bad - it was fixed under warranty .

It could be that the system has recorded some minor error code that will clear itself after 20 - 30 starts and then will not re-occur; or it could be a symptom of something else. The only way to tell for sure is to hook it up to a Scanalyser or to try and diagnose the trouble codes manually. Its nothing to worry about at this point - as long as the CE light stays off while you're riding.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had something real similiar to that happen. I had been out riding the bike all day, swung by the house to grab some stuff and head to work. So I start the bike, all lights come on as normal but the engine diagnostic stays on. After about 30 seconds, i shut the bike off, turn off ignition, then restart. This time engine diagnostic stays on and also security system light. I dont have security system on my bike.

Anyway, I pulled airbox cover and disconnected battery for a few minutes then reconnected, closed up and restarted bike. No lights.
No lights. None since either. So who knows.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Fugly said:
No lights. No lights. None since either. So who knows.
Maybe the engine diagnostic light was indicating a problem with the engine diagnostic light? :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
AHHHH YES , Paranoia

mdrsteve said:

Maybe the engine diagnostic light was indicating a problem with the engine diagnostic light? :D
This situation reminds me of a quote that went with all my post----

" It's not wether your paranoid , it's wether your paranoid enough "

Paranoia can keep you alive........

Hutch :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts