V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I did my 98" 37g build I've got this weird metallic chirping sound that seems to go away as the RPMs increase. At first I thought it was the Caliber 2-1 exhaust so I changed to stock head pipes with Khrome Werks slipons, the noise is still there. I thought I had it narrowed down to the primary but now with the bike on the lift and running I don’t think that’s it either. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rick
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
Tighten down all your heat shields, and lube your motor mounts. That may help too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paniolo said:
Tighten down all your heat shields, and lube your motor mounts. That may help too.
The heat shields I've already tried. I even tried swapping exhaust. I'll check the motor mounts, that's a possibility.

Thanks,Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,740 Posts
I had the same chirp, right around 3000 rpm during cruise. It went away after we installed the Dakota Kid reworked throttle body and the Ultima rockers. Still not 100% sure what it was but the breathers are still a contender I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I had a chirping sound like that, but it came from an unusual place. Mine came from the belt slightly rubbing the tire under load. I had the primary off to change clutches, and a new tire (150). It went away after awhile. May not be related to anything you have going on, but your title reminded me of the same sound issue I had.

Just a thought.

B
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
The exhaust wouldn't cause that unless it was leaking at the head. Does the chirping increase in speed with an increase in engine speed before it goes away, or is it a steady chirp chirp chirp? ;)

Check your primary chain tension, and look for exhaust leaks at the head. Make sure you torque them at the head BEFORE torqueing the mounting brackets.

Is this a dresser? It could be some of your plastic or rubber pieces rubbing together somewhere on the bike's bodywork. A little WD40 or silicon spray will fix that. Is the tank tight? Pegs tight? Check torque on ALL the hardware that you can see.
 

·
Seasoned Prime Member
Joined
·
446 Posts
I had a weird 'chirping' noise coming from the back of the Road King ans I swore it was exhaust. It was kinda. The rubbermount that's on your saddlebag bottom mount that your muffler hands from was loose. I squirted some clear silicone caulk around it so it wouldn't move and the 'chirp' was gone. Just a suggestion.....:hmmm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RoadKingCurley said:
I had a weird 'chirping' noise coming from the back of the Road King ans I swore it was exhaust. It was kinda. The rubbermount that's on your saddlebag bottom mount that your muffler hands from was loose. I squirted some clear silicone caulk around it so it wouldn't move and the 'chirp' was gone. Just a suggestion.....:hmmm:
Thanks, I tried that one. It's kind of a metallic sound. Maybe it's my cam gears. I know I didn't have it before the rebuild.

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ToddM said:
The exhaust wouldn't cause that unless it was leaking at the head. Does the chirping increase in speed with an increase in engine speed before it goes away, or is it a steady chirp chirp chirp? ;)

Check your primary chain tension, and look for exhaust leaks at the head. Make sure you torque them at the head BEFORE torqueing the mounting brackets.

Is this a dresser? It could be some of your plastic or rubber pieces rubbing together somewhere on the bike's bodywork. A little WD40 or silicon spray will fix that. Is the tank tight? Pegs tight? Check torque on ALL the hardware that you can see.
Thanks for the tips. It's a 05 Eglide. I've ruled out body work, heat shields, motor mounts and now I've pulled the primary cover to check the compensating nut. That's not it, the primary chain was at the outer limits of spec. but that’s not it either as I spun it up momentarily with the primary cover off (a little messy) and have pretty much determined it's coming from the right side of the motor. I'm beginning to become a little suspicious of the cam gears.

Now I'm wondering whether to do the comp nut shim as long as I have the cover off.

Rick
 

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
Get one of these and an exploded diagram of your motor and then pin point the noise -- as long as the noise is present with the bike parked and motor running that is. :D It is amazing what you will hear and how precise.


Mechanics stethoscope

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
I had a weird chirping noise on the back of my bike also.
Looked everywhere for it, nothing........ Then i worked it out, problem solved
I kicked the OL off, now no chirps.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Jams I like it mate.
These chirping threads always need a little injection of humour, they tend to be most deppressing and this one is no exception.:sofa: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Welcome to the world of the chirping big twins! I have a 2002 Road King Classic. Mine drives me nuts too. It sounds like it's coming from the left side of the bike. You can hear it when you ride it from 15- 40 mph. Then it's gone. Never at idle or when your not riding under load. Took it to the shop by the house. Mechanic says it's my cam chain tensioners. Took it to another shop. Yep they said the same thing. Paid good money and took the advice to upgrade to S&S gear drive cam set up with adjustable pushrods and a Baisley spring. one tensioner was bad. Had a split in it and was ready to go. The other was like new. Oil pump was replaced also due to passing some tensioner bits through it. Got bike back. STILL CHIRPS. But not as bad and only maybe the first quarter mile until bike warms up. Funny thing too. My buddies 98 Road King Classic. Evo powered mind you. Makes the same noise! Has to be the mounts or maybe drive belts. By the way......that gear drive set up is sure sweet. At least it was worth getting away from the chain drive cams. Runs great!:nunu:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top