V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm enjoying the versatility, handling and looks of my '03 Super Glide Sport (FXDX), but I'm in a bit of quandary on how to improve wind/weather protection. I'm riding some longish distances and commuting to work in Western Oregon weather (rainy, sucky). I guess a normal person just buys a Road Glide, but I've got a lot of time/money in the FXDX so I'd like to adapt it to my purposes rather than purchase a different bike.

I've tried a Memphis Shades "Rio Grande", which is the largest of MS's "sport shields" and while it looks nice and has a great mounting system I'm very unhappy with the level of turbulence generated. On long runs, I have a tall-ish magnetic tank bag that helps a great deal with blocking the air blast that flows under the wind shield and over the fuel tank... but even then the still air pocket is not what I'm looking for.

I am considering my options... In descending order of sanity:
1. Buy a bigger shield (Something like a Nation Cycle "two up", etc). This is the path of least resistance, however I'm very skeptical that any very steeply mounted windshield (basically any of the bolt on windshields available) is going to provide the kind of non-turbulent air flow I'm looking for. These all appear to be "brick in the wind" aerodynamics to me.

2. Semi-crazy option: Adapt a used e-glide "batwing" fairing. People have done this with Sportsters, so it should be possible with a Dyna. I have some welding/fabricating/painting skills so I should be able to cobble together some kind of mounting brackets/adapters. It would be unique! :)

3. Really crazy option: Some sort of frame mounted fairing. I've always admired the FXRT, so perhaps adapting something like a Vetter Windjammer might work. Again, I'm pretty sure I'd be the only person in the universe with a fairing like that on an FXDX! It's probably a crappy idea all the way around.

Or perhaps some other idea? As you can see, I'm not particularly bound by tradition or conventional wisdom, so weird options that might function well are appreciated. Thanks for you input!
-BAKA

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You will need a full-size touring windshield to get the best protection.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a similar question. I live in a very windy area and the updrafts around the tank (4.5 gallon) on my 1200 Sportster with the H-D QD Standard windshield (with Laminar Lip tabs) is nearly intolerable. I'm looking at a new Fat Bob and wonder if there is any improvement in basic wind protection, in that you sit much lower on the Dyna.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While it looks kinda silly, a magnetic tank bag helps A LOT with that air blasting under the windshield and over the tank - in effect it makes the tank taller and diverts some of that air. They can and do scratch your paint job, though. I've also heard the leather vest with the flaps in the front of it helps a lot. "Lowers" that are on the market also help a lot. I've tried those too... for some people that might just be plenty good enough. I'm really looking for a class of non-turbulent protection that few others in the Dyna community seem to be seeking. I'm still open minded that some large touring windshield might do the trick, but if that doesn't work, I'm just crazy enough to try to adapt a bat wing - heck, if the VRSC guys do it, why not on a Dyna?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
BAKA said:
3. Really crazy option: Some sort of frame mounted fairing. I've always admired the FXRT, so perhaps adapting something like a Vetter Windjammer might work. Again, I'm pretty sure I'd be the only person in the universe with a fairing like that on an FXDX! It's probably a crappy idea all the way around.
-BAKA
I always liked the FXRT as well. In fact I picked up a FXRP fairing with the intention of mounting it on my '99 FXDX. It looks like it would simply take welding a couple of threaded bosses on the frame neck. Those fairings go crazy high on eBay, which seems to be about the only source for one anymore.

I may end up going a different route with my bike, so the fairing may end up for sale.

·
Registered
185 Posts
ON my FXDX I mounted the sporster windshield from first day. Never regret. Is little, stilish, but effective in deviating wind and rain from my body, else if arms are exposed. I am sorry I am not a payng subscriber otherwise should post a pic (2003 with winshield, motor crash bar, and italian made bags).
best suggestion would be to catch the windshield of the FXDX-T model of our's same years, and add a pair of texture shields to the crash bars too. The two things toghether should be effective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting options that I had not previously considered. Thanks a lot for the specific recommendations!

·
Registered
5 Posts
BAKA, check it out

Woodysfairings.com is the only manufacturer that would consider a batwing fairing conversion to fit my 2008 Fat Bob. They made it a very simple process. I changed out the headlamps to a Fat Boy unit, after PS the batwing with the original dual headlamps I did not like the look. It is a QD style as well, Woodys designed the hardware needed to make it work. Check them out, woodysfairings.com, they have a good selection of makes, models. Best prices in town, great service and a quality product, a win-win deal, they are the ticket!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts