V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all H.O.G. chapter members, officers, and motorcyclists,

I joined the Blue Ridge H.O.G. chapter in Central Virginia back in January of 2005.This H.O.G. chapter is sponsored by Lynchburg Harley Davidson. I enjoy getting out on my motorcycle and making new friends just like all riders out there. I love the sport of motorcycling just as much as everyone else but my parents and myself were kicked out in March of 2005.

We received a letter and a refund from the Harley Davidson dealership that supports the Blue Ridge H.O.G. chapter signed by the manager (trying to stay professional by not mentioning his name) of the dealership stating, "Due to a conflict of interest your membership to the Blue Ridge Chapter of the Harley Owners Group has been revoked. Enclosed is a refund of your chapter dues". This is all the letter said with no further explaination. This letter is on our shop door with the manager's signature for all of our customers and H.O.G. members to see.

I feel that this has happened because of my affiliation with a local motorcycle shop that my father owns. My father has never solicited for any business at any of the monthly meetings. Is it because we support motorcycling just as much as the Harley Davidson dealership and other motorcycle shops would? I know of other dealerships that have "small time", independent motorcycle shop owners in their H.O.G. chapters.

If this is the reason, I would like to know why we have been singled out. If you may ask what makes me think that my parents and I are being treated differently, I would like to inform you of some interesting facts.There was a certain individual that was the director of the Blue Ridge H.O.G. chapter from 1990 to 1996. This individual was (and still is) an owner of a motorcycle shop in our area during this time. His wife was the treasurer of the chapter up until 1998. They were never banned from the chapter. Again, why have we been singled out?

My father personally spoke with the manager to try and find out what the specific reason was. Really the only clear reason he stated was that it was because my father is an owner of a motorcycle shop that is in direct competition to him. Please keep in mind that my father doesn't sell motorcycles. He does parts, accessories, and repair. When my father asked him that if he had owned a foreign motorcycle shop and had nothing to do with american motorcycles....would he, my mother, and I still have been kicked out? His reply was "Yes". The manager also stated that if any other member had a problem with us being kicked out then "they would be dealt with as well". This meant that he would be glad to kick them out as well. I realize business is business, but this is a lil out of hand. I think that the manager should have at least sat down and discussed this matter with my father before acting in such a sour manner.

We did petition to a Regional H.O.G. officer and we were told that H.O.G. is backed by their sponsoring dealerships. The regional H.O.G. officer also told us that the manager of the supporting dealership has the final say so on any topic dealing with the chapter and can revoke any member's membership at will without a reason at all.....period.

Why in the world would my father want to put the local dealership under? That would severely hurt his business! Its not like my father could even hurt the dealership the slightest bit. There is plenty of business to go around in our city. The next closest dealerships are Roanoke Harley Davidson (60miles) and Shenandoah Harley Davidson (90miles). I know for a fact that they have had independent motorcycle shop owners in their H.O.G. chapter. As far as I know of to this day they still do. I would recommend these dealerships to anyone in Central Virginia.

I would greatly appreciate any input on this matter. If anyone would like to voice their concern to this dealership or the local chapter, I have no problem with it. If anyone decides to do so, please include me on the email and I would also like to see any replies that are given.

What do you guys out there think? If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected] or at [email protected]

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pretty damn outrageous and petty behavior by the sponsoring dealer based on the facts given. Your father's shop will probably get more business as the result of the dealer's behavior; I hope. :corn:

·
Registered
13 Posts
What do I think? I think H.O.G. sucks.

I've been riding Harleys since before there was a H.O.G. and never have wanted to join their pretentious group.

I don't blame you for being pizzed though. I would be too, if the whole situation is like you say it is.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Goes to show you the caliber of people in that chapter - IMHO.

Bite the bullet and buy a billboard as close to the dealer as possible and bash the hell out of them %[email protected]

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
LMM said:
Goes to show you the caliber of people in that chapter - IMHO.

Bite the bullet and buy a billboard as close to the dealer as possible and bash the hell out of them %[email protected]
you don't want a slander lawsuite on your hands. have a non hog club started at your father shop and bring everyone with you.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Your side of the story sounds convincing ,,,,,i wonder what the the other side of the story is? It always takes two to tango. I can think of a couple things that could get a member asked to leave.....at least in our chapter. Refusal to honor the no booze or drugs on chapter rides and ,,,,general disruptive behavior and blatent disrespect for chapter leadership displayed in a vocal and public manor ......I dont know your dealer and i dont know you ,,,, but i know hog pretty well ... rat

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
......I certainly hope you arrived here to participate in ALL the things that are discussed, not just using this as your personal bit(h session against HOG. You have two post and they both deal with your circumstance with this one chapter and dealer.

BTW, Welcome to the site. We have an area called "My Story, My Beginning...". An introduction there would be appopriate.

HOG serves a purpose for those that find that type riding/socializing enjoyable. That doesn't make them pretentious, pretigious or any thing else other than a riding/social club sponsored by the local dealer and HD. There are quite a few of us who were riding before its arrival/formation and that still does not change what they are.

It isn't the end of the world not being in the HOG Chapter. If you are seen as direct competition by the dealer, it is his right to ask you to leave. Here locally a painter was asked to leave a chapter. He was accused of soliciting business in the 'meetings'. I guess he was only giving advice, but nonetheless he was asked to leave. If the chapter lose the dealer sponsorship, then the chapter goes away. So as in your case, it is send two or three packing or the entire group......they've made a decision.

A bunch of emails from here or any other site will only enrage the local dealer and chapter members.....that will hurt your dad. I am certain they all know by now what happened.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
The complaint on the way dealers treat people, including myself, this post does not surprise me in the least.

I would rather buy coffee for the guys I am riding with then to a HOG membership.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Ed Y said:
Didn't I see this same account on HTT?
Just saw it at HDForums, guy must be plastering it around to every forum he can.

:sucks:

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
I agree that the treatment was shabby, but I agree with the principle.

First off, let me state that I am not a H.O.G. member despite the fact that they 'made me' one just for buying a bike. I could not get a rep from their hot-line to pick up a broken bike one week-end, or even give me an explanation on the withholding of services.

I believe you join one club, and you are a member of that singular organization.

I never joined the AMA, although it was required during the early 1970's for participation in riding events. My cycle club did not forbid its members from holding an AMA patch, but I did so on principle.

I am a CC Rider, I joined that club of my own choosing. I was not forced to join to participate in area events. Membership into the Riders was not secured by a 'cash deposit.' You rode as a member because you were voted in. Period.

Now, granted, clubs split for various reasons. And if that was the case here, I would do it the correct way. I would bundle up my colors, find a senior officer and return the property of the club. That might seem extreme, but it is the formal, recognized and honorable way to seek admission into another club.

Hence, I am not a H.O.G. member.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nothing new, here in Rochester Minnesota, they are just as bad or worse. Their organizer so all "staffs" are nothing but a bucnh overrated wanna be and don't got a clue. Don't ever attempt to waste your hard-earned money at the state rally here in Rochester Minnesota, you will be very disappointed. Don't say that you have not warned. Goshed, they SUXS!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
brownjams said:
you don't want a slander lawsuite on your hands. have a non hog club started at your father shop and bring everyone with you.

good luck and ride safe.
What lawsuit? ever heard of freedom of speech? protected by your constitution rights, as along as you speak the truth.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Two sides to every story

IMHO I never side with anyone until I hear both sides of the story. CONFEDCYCLES is without a doubt telling the story as he sees it. I am sure the dealer sees it another way.

·
Retired
1,834 Posts
It's not like they stole your bike. Get over it. Join another group or club.
I had the HOG membership when I bought my bike. But I'm not into that scene so I didn't renew.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
KCtrain said:
What lawsuit? ever heard of freedom of speech? protected by your constitution rights, as along as you speak the truth.
and what would the bill board say then, I was kicked out of HOG because of .....

yes freedom of speech is great, but comes along with others laws which must be followed. if I'm an a-hole and everyone knows it, could you buy a billboard and put that on it without possible ramifications? slander may be something that may have to be under consideration is all I'm saying. taking only one part of law and not taking all of it into consideration could become a legal problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't understand?????
Quote=...but my parents and myself were kicked out in March of 2005.

Why is this now an issue worth posting in January 2006...10 months later??

·
Registered
769 Posts
Samuel1941 said:
I don't understand?????
Quote=...but my parents and myself were kicked out in March of 2005.

Why is this now an issue worth posting in January 2006...10 months later??

LOL... think about it a little ,,,,, It might give you a little insight as to why these people were asked to leave the chapter. rat

·
C'ya on the road
146 Posts
As I said on another forum you posted this same rant on, "it is what it is, take it or leave it, your choice.":sucks:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts