V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We have been working hard over the past few months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. We have leveraged XenForo tools and features but added layers of modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A consistent experience across all devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and reliability are key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

Easy to use and navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to focus on the areas the community uses the most and removed clutter.

We have also introduced a number of new and updated features:

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.
Due to the volume of content our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Popular and New Posts
We have made it easy to navigate directly to the Popular (previously Active Topics) Posts. You can find the Popular section, which includes “New Posts”, by clicking on the trending up arrow in the navigation. Always be up to date!

Bookmarks
Now you can bookmark your favorite discussions! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

Following
Following a thread is a great way to stay up-to-date on the topic, and receive alerts or emails when there are new replies. Thread subscriptions and watched threads are now called “Followed”. Your followed threads can be accessed by clicking on your user avatar, and clicking “Following”. We have migrated all of your existing subscriptions into the new platform.

Show off your own collection.
We have introduced “My Showcase” for you to show-off images of your own vehicles, modifications or road trips to the rest of the community and we have migrated in the existing data from our vBulletin Garages. This is your opportunity to upload often and share your passion! Visit Showcase.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/kJez7_baVUCyf6N6y_lb3FM7QTUELc_ocoNe00c_GhIKqjuG3GIO_N_lUiSldJfnGaRdlQinT3k6QuC9QMxr9AYMbC5e8w4N0jzUaRZZ7SuT09X30z-zyLnKF4cgKL5msl_8erpF

Dark Mode

We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it through the right-hand drop-down menu.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:

Forum Listing – the forum index, or forum home, is now known as the Forum Listing page. It can be found in the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.

Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following

Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation

Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas gallery would be like a photo album. Can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots

Popular – is the new name for Active Topics. You can also directly navigate to New Posts / Today’s Posts from this button

Account Settings – is the new name for UserCP. The account settings can be found by clicking on your avatar in the top right navigation

Bookmarks – a great place to store valuable content that you may want to reference later.

These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform, https://www.v-twinforum.com/help/

Please let us know what you think about the new experience, your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there! :)

(I took this photo at one of my favorite Texas State Parks.)

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

I will be here to answer questions and to help you navigate, as needed. :)

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How To Find New Posts & Use Filters
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on the upward pointing arrow and then select “New Posts” from the drop down menu.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. You can also choose to set special filters or mark all posts read on that same page.

- Cricket

·
not sober all the time
5,115 Posts
My first impression is akin to being lost. It might be good for the young folks but I'd bet a majority of members that actually contribute are up in years. Maybe it'll grow on me.

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first impression is akin to being lost. It might be good for the young folks but I'd bet a majority of members that actually contribute are up in years. Maybe it'll grow on me.
Like most of us, I am a creature of habit, so it takes me a bit to get used to changes. (I was more than a little grumpy about it all at first.) I was lucky enough to get the chance to play with the new platform before they went live with it so I am already getting used to it. I have to admit that I am crazy about it now. It feels so much faster and is easy to use after a brief learning curve. Give it a few days and let me know if you start liking it too.

I am here to be your tour guide, so just let me know what I can help you with. :)

The new format is not for me, gone is the latest post on the right on each thread...
Can you let me know where you are used to seeing this?

If you are in the thread itself, there is a button at the top, to the right of the title.

If you are browsing new posts, the time stamp on the right goes to the latest (most recent) post.

hate it....you won't see much of me anymore......where do I get a refund for my Lifetime Membership?
Sorry, that isn't something that I can help with but there is a contact us link in the footer of the site. I hope you decide to stick around. Member feedback is what helps fuel future updates to the site, so please keep it coming. We do compile all the feedback you share. Although we may not action everything, we are logging what users are saying. We will be continuously updating design and user experience with weekly updates.

- Cricket

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,357 Posts
It sucks ass. It is not quicker and easier. As a single example, " jump to latest" now requires that I click to load the thread, then click again to see the latest, then scroll up to see if there are any new posts between where I last read and the 'latest'.

Yesterday, I could use it with scripting disabled. Scripting is a security risk and you now require me to make myself more vulnerable by having scripting enabled just so I can read.

Yesterday, I could hover over a thread title and read enough to know whether I was interested in clicking on the thread. Not now though, not in the new and improved VTF.

And "action" is a noun, not a verb. There is no such thing as "I can't action your request".

Put the forum back and leave it alone.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,357 Posts
And how in hell do I log out of this headache?

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Should have left it alone. I'll plug away trying to acquiesce to it. Like anything new theres a learning curve about it. I'm sure in time i'll get use to it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I was surprised by the initial amount that had changed but don't think I'll have any issue adjusting. I've already figured out most of what I liked.

I am sorry others are having such a hard time adjusting, I hope they'll stick around.

Change is inevitable. Please keep doing what you can to improve things.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
the new format really sucks.. as much as I used to enjoy this forum,, and assisting others with their issues,,, I do not believe I will be around much longer,,, i have better time useage than learning all the flaming hoops in this new format.. I used to open the page,, go to active topica,, and scan how many posts rose to the top,, who last posted. comment or back out and move on,,, now I must open every different forum,, have no idea who posted last,, and I was on my way. I'm going to try for a few days before this forum is a dot n the rearview,,, o will most many of you,,, I believe ive helped some of you through hard times with your harleys,,, have grown to respect many here also,,, ive aggravated some,, just like another extended family,,,, what really burns my ass the most is,,, I would give odds the owners of this forum dont even ride harleys,, they just tell us what is best for us,,, try and being in new members and revenue and by the amount of unhappy members since yesterday,, they may lose some very knowledgable individuals,,, to make the site prettier.. and that floating advertisement geico at the bottom of the page annoys the holy **** our of me,,,, since I cannot close it,, the amount of space it consumes on a cell phone screen is considerable.. o do jope I grow to tolerate this 10 steps backwards approach,, and I'm sure the geico folks are paying a pretty penny for that promenant spot,,, I tried geicp,, and every other brand,, but found dairy land to be the most bang for the buck,,,, my bike is a historic vehicle,, with many changes that are only visible to those who know what they are viewing,, but fairyland allowed me $40K in full coverage insurance,, for about $40 a month,,, anyway

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the new format really sucks.. as much as I used to enjoy this forum,, and assisting others with their issues,,, I do not believe I will be around much longer,,, i have better time useage than learning all the flaming hoops in this new format.. I used to open the page,, go to active topica,, and scan how many posts rose to the top,, who last posted. comment or back out and move on,,, now I must open every different forum,, have no idea who posted last,, and I was on my way. I'm going to try for a few days before this forum is a dot n the rearview,,, o will most many of you,,, I believe ive helped some of you through hard times with your harleys,,, have grown to respect many here also,,, ive aggravated some,, just like another extended family,,,, what really burns my ass the most is,,, I would give odds the owners of this forum dont even ride harleys,, they just tell us what is best for us,,, try and being in new members and revenue and by the amount of unhappy members since yesterday,, they may lose some very knowledgable individuals,,, to make the site prettier.. and that floating advertisement geico at the bottom of the page annoys the holy **** our of me,,,, since I cannot close it,, the amount of space it consumes on a cell phone screen is considerable.. o do jope I grow to tolerate this 10 steps backwards approach,, and I'm sure the geico folks are paying a pretty penny for that promenant spot,,, I tried geicp,, and every other brand,, but found dairy land to be the most bang for the buck,,,, my bike is a historic vehicle,, with many changes that are only visible to those who know what they are viewing,, but fairyland allowed me $40K in full coverage insurance,, for about $40 a month,,, anyway
Change is always hard. Please keep in mind we will be updating the site weekly and a lot of that comes from the feedback that our users provide.

Much of what you are looking for, is still there, it just has a new name that is the default of the Xenforo platform. My job is to help you find what you are looking for.

As an example, popular replaces active topics.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Should have left it alone. I'll plug away trying to acquiesce to it. Like anything new theres a learning curve about it. I'm sure in time i'll get use to it.
Unfortunately, we couldn't just leave it alone.

We understand that there are some inherent changes in moving from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, vBulletin’s infrastructure does not provide the flexibility to be able to provide additional improvements. Continuing on that platform without the ability to maintain a better experience for all of you is just not an option moving forward. We know you expect and deserve continuous improvements over time.

In the past, we have upgraded more slowly. Unfortunately, this became technically difficult and often times would break other features when updates were attempted. Making the bigger investment now in the new platform sets us up to respond faster to your feedback moving forward.

Your security and data are extremely important to us. Modern software and upgrading systems are critical to keep us advanced in providing a better and more secure experience for you to share content. Not updating the software would have made that increasingly difficult over time as other technology advances.

- Cricket

·
Laughing Poseur
5,244 Posts
Change is always hard. Please keep in mind we will be updating the site weekly and a lot of that comes from the feedback that our users provide.

Much of what you are looking for, is still there, it just has a new name that is the default of the Xenforo platform. My job is to help you find what you are looking for.

As an example, popular replaces active topics.
View attachment 263007

- Cricket
Yep....do that Terry ya get the same results....I'm starting to come around....just use Popular under the squiggly lightning bolt thingy....this is exacrly why I won't change phone manufacturers...I'm not learning new systems at this point. lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Whoever instigated the new layout needs to be flogged. If it doesn't get better, I'm gone. This sucks. Needed to test it out before you decided that we wanted ????? new features.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had problems until I realized that I needed to login to the new site to see certain functions. Also, my old links I had on my phone and computer no longer worked properly. I like to go to "New Posts" each time I access the site. Once I got logged in and corrected my links, it's working fairly well. For ADMIN, maybe you need to tell users that their old hyperlinks will no longer work correctly. I like the fact that I can mark all items read so next time I access the site using "New Posts", it works as designed. The mark items read only works if you are logged in (as far as my experience has been so far). Only thing I wish worked differently is once I read a post then hit the back key, the post still looks as if I never accessed it. When I accessed the old site using the Edge browser, it worked correctly. When I accessed the old site using Chrome, it worked like this site does. If I hit the squiggly arrow key on this new site then select "New Posts", I only see what I have not read. Sort of what I did before but I just refreshed the "New Posts" screen and only my unread threads remained. I'm going to stop commenting here. I was chastised by certain people when the site moved the last time because I was vocal about my displeasure. All I will say at this point is it could be better but does not seem to be worse to me.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts