V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple years and about 10k miles ago I put on the Vance & Hines Pro HS 2:1 pipes on my 03 Ultra Classic FLHTCUI.

At the same time had the local dealer put in a Stage 1 kit and download the program to remap the EFI to the pipe.

Bike runs fine and sounds good but I find I am going deaf in my right ear and can't hear the radio over 40mph. My wife was never happy about the pipe to begin with (but of course I ignored her and got the Pro's anyway!).

Is there a kit from VH, aftermarket, or other way to quiet down the sound without losing too much HP? I don't want to spend much money (times are tough in Detroit) so don't want to have to remap or take it to the dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Take the baffle out and see if the fiberglass packing ring at the exit end is still there. It normally gets blown out within 500 miles. Blocking holes in the baffle won't make much difference in sound, but on mine it helped low rpm torque. I considered my Pro Pipe to be fairly quiet; it was a lot quieter than the Cycle Shack mufflers or V&H Straightshots I had previously.

·
Registered
214 Posts
it's your fairing...

I had the V&H Pro-pipe w/torq baffles on my Road King, they were awsome and when I purchased an FLHTCi... I have to have the same pipes... same issue as yours... my ears were killing me so I switched to Rinehart true-duals with the quiet baffles and live was good. Both good pipes, but with a fearing you need to beware of how the sound my resonate and affect your riding pleasure.

Tim

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Ran the Propipe for 4 years, loved the power, tired of the loud. Just bought an 08 and gonna try a Supertrapp Supermeg 2into1 now, they say it's quite a bit quieter with comparable performance...

I'll let you know....

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
!

B -

Don't start the bike. Ride the new one. What the hell's wrong with you??!!

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Which baffle did you have...the long one or the newer technology short one?

The first picture is the one I removed from my Propipe..about 11 years old. The only replacement offered (according to the Vance & Hines Tech Rep) is the new one that is about 8 inches long. (You can get standard or competition) It has a small amount of fiberlgass at the very end with several rows of small holes. Forward end is closed and it has four rows of larger holes....

I bought the replacement from J&P.

There is sure a DRASTIC difference. The longer one also had a "donut" of fiberglass around the outside about 6" back from the forward end. It sounded great to me but was starting to take on a kind of "hollow" sound, for lack of a better word. In the picture you can see the shiny area about 3" wide where the donut was located. The donut was adhered to the wall of the pipe, not the baffle so I had to tear all that old stuff out. The old, brittle fiberglass that is sitting by the old baffle is the stuff that was wrapped just forward of the end cap.

Anyway..here they both are. I guess you could completely cover the small rows where the fibergalss packing is located...but not sure what that would do to your power.

I wear foamie ear plugs...so no sweat. Not from pipes and not from wind blast. Try it. They let in the sound that is good and keep out the stuff that hurts. One dozen...$3...Walmart.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts