V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I last checked my oil, there was a white, somewhat waxy/creamy residue accumulated at the base of the dipstick, where it pivots on the cap. It wasn't there a few days previous. It was a little more than 1/2 quart low. I try to keep the level at 1/4 below full, which keeps oil out of the air cleaner. I'm running Mobil One V-Twin, which I put in at the 10k service, and I believe dino oil was in there before I did the change. I've put about 1,000 miles more or less since the change. The motor's a '05 TC.

Anybody got a clue? Should I be freakin' out or what?

·
Registered
260 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
It's likely condensation cooking off from where you are riding short trips.
This is what the local wrenches told me also. I'm currently riding in freezing temps.

Short trips allow condensation to build up in the lubrication system. Long trips allow the condensation to evaporate from the increased heating. The problem is that none of these guys seem to have a definition of short vs long trips. I only know that I'm not encountering the milky situation, so trips over 10 miles must be OK.

Here this condensation can be found on automobiles with very long dipsticks...like a van, etc, which are usually remote. The creamy stuff is all over the dipsticks when you pull them out. The condensation gathers in the tube.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This makes perfect sense. My work schedule has kept me from riding other than to work and back, 9 miles each way. I'll just have to explain to my boss that for the sake of my significant other (My Dyna, that is), I need a day off every couple weeks to open her up and blow off steam.

Thanks for the replies, This site is better than the dealer by a damn siight!

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
Same thing happens in cars, I see it in the shop especially during the winter. The cause is losts of short trips without a good warm up so the condensation can be boiled/burned off. I'd change the oil and filter and just note that short runs when it's cold out can cause the "White stuff" on the dip stick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts