V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The people I ride with tell me not to wax the chrome. They tell me the wax does not allow the chrome to breathe, causing pitting and rust. I would think wax would protect chrome from moisture. Any and all thoughts welcome.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I use wax on all chrome, and have never had any pitting or rust. As far as chrome having to breath.... I've never heard of this.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guy's.... I thought breathing chrome sounded kind of crazy.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
2DEUCE said:
Thx guy's.... I thought breathing chrome sounded kind of crazy.
sorry ...but that's funny.... maybe who ever told ya was doing some mind altering drugs... and saw his"CHROME" breathing.... doing CPR ...

·
Registered
130 Posts
2Deuce, Breathing chrome...that's a good one. One little tip I will give you is to not put paste wax on your chrome exhaust system. Most of the paste waxes will yellow when you heat them up to the temps that your pipes run at.

Now, let's start a great debate about which wax is better, synthetic or carnuba. I've heard that if you don't use Harley Davidson wax on your bike you'll void the warranty.

Ken

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol.... I'm seeing sound and hearing colors

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
HELP HELP, someone call a doctor. My chrome has stopped breathing. :D

I use HD glaze on my pipes, works fine. But of course their dead from not breathing. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Likki Tech makes a chrome polish that comes in a kit form. I had never bought it in the past, but @ a tradeshow I picked up some since they were willing to throw it in for a couple of bucks..I like it alot, makes the chrome brilliant, at least I think it does..haha..

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
I've never heard of 'breathing chrome' but have been told by several sources over the years when using any kind of chrome polish on the exhaust to start the bike. Hold your hand on the pipes until you have to pull you hand off, shut off the bike, and then polish them with your chrome polish. Guess the chrome expands with the heat and the polish is trapped in the 'pours' if you will, when they cool down. Hey, don't know if it works but have been riding for 35+ and have had limited blue'n problems.

This would work with any chrome piece that takes on heat from the engine.

Oh, and by the way XXXFLHRCI, waxed the bumper of my '72 LS5-454 ElCamino yesterday and it looks great. Ha!

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
go to englishcustompolishing.com these guys seem to know alot about polishing and caring for metal finishs. They say don't wax chrome.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
From the website.
"This is because it should never be necessary to wax chrome. Waxes will make chrome hazy."

I've been using wax on chrome for many years and have never seen any chrome turn hazy. I do for protection againts rust and other bad chrome demons that may arise.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
:eek: LOL! WTFIT???

You can choke a carb,

You can choke a Republican,

You can choke a Democrat while he is chokein an intern and of course,

You can choke a Chicken and should do so often.

BUT YA CAN'T CHOKE NO DAMN CHROME! LOL!

All of the above breathe with the exception of CHROME. In fact, the fist breath it takes and it's CRACKED.

I love fridays.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Ok everyone...... in the spring don't forget to put "summer air" in your tires and take the "winter air" out, check your "horn oil" and "blinker fluid". Two things to remember: If it sounds too good........yadda yadda yadda......... and the Only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Texan,
What do you put on the exhaust pipes to protect them after you polish them? Or is it necessary?

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Jockeyshift, it's a wasted effort. Try this. Get you a piece of sheet metal or better yet an old piece of chrome, wax half of it and not the other. Lay it outside. Spray you a little salt water on it to simulate some of those demons. Both sides of it will rust the same.

·
Registered
240 Posts
navyharley said:
Texan,
What do you put on the exhaust pipes to protect them after you polish them? Or is it necessary?
Sal, the owner of Zaino, told me that Zaino WILL withstand 900 degrees fahrenheit! He said he uses it on chrome exhaust.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holly $h!t, for got to stock up on blinker fluid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts