V-Twin Forum banner

Wax is wax is wax

19K views 90 replies 21 participants last post by  Givrsum 
#1 · (Edited)
So every now and again I go to the auto parts store and find myself looking at all the different wax's. I here good things about Mequiar's. I see the green turtle wax containers and a slew of other familiar names. Its a bit much. I always say f*ck it and grab the green turtle wax container because that's just what I always use but always wonder if Meguiars is better.

I don't doubt one should wax ones paint job regular. If noting else it looks better. Water beads up on it.

Is there any wax obviously more dominant in wax's performance then others? Or is wax is wax is wax?

#2 ·
This will prolly end up like a what oil is best thread. But I'll throw in my $.02 ---

I use a product called Raceglaze. It's a polish/sealant, not a wax. Applied via machine it gives an excellent finish/shine, and seals the surface. Another good product, and similar to Raceglaze is Wizards polish.

#6 · (Edited)
This will prolly end up like a what oil is best thread. But I'll throw in my $.02 ---

I use a product called Raceglaze. It's a polish/sealant, not a wax. Applied via machine it gives an excellent finish/shine, and seals the surface. Another good product, and similar to Raceglaze is Wizards polish.
Exactly because every product including yours presents as being the best. And why I figure maybe wax is wax is wax?

Never heard of race glaze. Did look up the web site. Wonder if its sold nationally or is it a local product? It ain't cheap either, lol holy shi*t.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/RAC-15165.html?sc=117&category=2672741#.VeKMvTYw_cs

Think I'm gonna order me some to try it out. Just found some for 14.95 same product same size but 9$ cheaper. I guess I'm on my way to having a garage shelf full of multi brand wax's. :hystria: Just curious about your brand because I've never seen it advertised

#3 ·
This sounds like a raw newbie question but I see you've got over 500 posts! I like Lucas Slick Mist Speed Wax. Superb, easy application, smells good, & delivers a top shelf shine. Others swear by pledge polish. Used in conjunction with microfiber cloths. Try the search function maybe use detailing or waxing or polishing etc. the researching will be almost endless.

#4 · (Edited)
Before I posted this I read thru the multitude of wax threads as well as watched a few of the commercial video's.

Each, like every religion, pontificates there's is better then the rest. There's even levels of brands w/in the brand like Mothers, Mothers California Gold. And then S100 offers a beeswax wax. So beeswax or Carnauba?

I'm just trying to cut thru the crap. While I appreciate the in depth multi stepped process by many, other then removing a scratch or some other blemish and for regular maintenance, I'm hoping that my simple turtle wax application is more then enough.

I can see how easy and tempting it is to have a garage shelf full of the multitude of choice wax's stacked all about. And the time involved in the multi stepped multi products to be used with each. And you can be really anal and spend a ridiculous amount of time beautifying your scooter and why unless its a show bike?

Wow have we found a way to expand a simple process or is all that really necessary? Isn't wax just wax just wax? Does it just assist in restoring paint or preserve and protect or all the above?

Every time I go into the auto parts store and w/out fail I gravitate to the wax section, look around at all the different brands but still walk out with my turtle wax in the green container and wonder should I have found a better brand?

And you get a bucket of it for 6$

https://www.turtlewax.com/shop/products/turtle-wax-performance-plus-super-hard-shell-wax-14-oz-paste

#5 ·
Anything with a high percentage of carnauba wax is a good start.
I do use Meguiar's
The reason being, I started using their products on my boat and was impressed

#8 ·
oh boy,, i bet pt has my shelf in mind lol,,, i prolly have 7 or 8 different waxes and a hell of an array of wheel, interior, leather, you name it products. i'm a bit anal about shine. i use meguires gold on the car, because it has great continuity with the ice clearcoat. or a nano wax.. most folks don't realize that the best wax doesn't bead water up,, it runs water off like rainx does. now on the bike i use turtle wax on the wheels and chrome with a conical power ball,, great cleaner, but then i use mothers paste to bring out the shine and seal it up... on the paint i use nano spray, several brands are good. then when i'm all done i use black out on all the black.. i'm one of the few folks that actually enjoy detailing. throw a dvd in and enjoy the day..

#13 ·
I use turtle wax for the simple reason that I've always used it. Currently I've got a "Black Box" kit that was a gift from a pal. My car is black and it worked pretty well there, and as the bike is also black it's a no brainer. However, not being an "automotive detailing nut" kind of guy, I just apply it and buff it out vs spending hours getting that perfect finish.

When it comes to the chrome, I've got some old Mothers chrome polish which does a good job.

#19 ·
I have a tube of simichrome that I use on my 1983 FL to bring back some of the chrome, mostly just years of exposure to the elements from riding but the simichrome works pretty good. Use mothers too. The'83 is a lot harder to keep clean. It def looks like a bike been run for 32 years.

#14 · (Edited)
For me, it comes down to wax on and wax off.

Wax off being the more important of the two. And Meguiar's comes off easy. It also doesn't go bad in the bottle.

Now if I'm trying to revive the dead, as opposed to shine up the living, I'll use something that is full of polymers as opposed to wax. Nufinish works well.

And for the chrome, I use Windex to clean it then Turtle wax spray wax to shine it. It's mostly silicone, so it lets the chrome breath, and it makes the bugs wipe off easy.

#17 ·
So, what if you don't wax your bike? Truth be told, I haven't waxed a bike in years. When I did, it seems to me all it did was make the water bead up and cause water spots so bad that the bike looked worse than if I did not wax it.
The first time I washed after waxing the bugs did come off a bit easier but that didn't last.
Since the bike only sees a few hours of sun each week, I question whether it really makes any difference if I bother waxing it.

#20 ·
My Bike is 15 years old and the paint looks like new, I take care of it and wax is something I use at least a few times a year, riding season never really ends down here

#28 ·
The parts store at the end of the street carries it. I try it. An old timer there with a 65 vetted show car with the original paint sold me a bottle of Mothers California Gold Showtime. Said he uses it on everything between waxes.
I'll try it on chrome and paint later.

#38 ·
Carnuba was of any brand is the best and longest lasting. It's harder to apply but lasts the longest imho. I do my bikes and vehicles once a year with the stuff and swear by it.

John

#41 ·
heh heh,, my buddy sherri shi7s on me for it but when she leaves, the bathroom looks like a display model.. i guess we all have it a little

#45 ·
I am still happy with my turtle wax ice. I use the paste maybe once a year, wax on wax off pretty easy.

Then I use the turtle wax ice spray for a quick touch up.

It's not your fathers turtle wax...

rkc

#48 ·
this is off the eagle one site,,, copy n paste...

An easy-to-use spray on wax containing nano-sized carnauba particles for more effective protection, shine and durability. Just spray on a dry surface after washing and rinsing. Wipe off with a microfiber towel and continue to spray and wipe as needed.

Nano Particles That Love the Spotlight

The key to shine is making the surface of your paint as perfect as possible in order to reflect the maximum amount of light. The nano-sized carnauba wax particles in Nanowax™ Spray provide more surface coverage, filling even the finest microscopic scratches and maintaining a smooth surface for more shine.

Nature’s Protectant

Carnauba wax is a naturally occurring substance found on palm tree leaves. Known for its durability, carnauba wax provides a protective seal on your ride’s paint that can last for months.

Charged Up Wax Particles

The Nanowax™ formula is cationic, meaning it carries a positive charge. This charge acts as a repellant for other positively charged particles such as dust, providing further durability and protection.

Unbeatable shine & water repellency
Nano-size carnauba wax particles fill scratches for ultimate shine
No dry time, hazing or discoloring of trim

#52 ·
lmao!! i'm a firm believer in,,,,, use what ya like! i try different shi7 all the time. i used future floor wax back in the 70's, then the bastages quit making it. actually now days, that griots brand is probably the best on the market but, its expensive. one of the guys on the ole car site got me one for xmas, good stuff.. ya ya and before luv's or b has a wise ass comment,,,, like 20 of us draw numbers, match numbers buys the other poser a gag gift or whatever, 20 buck limit..(that kinda doesn't get followed) pretty cool actually

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.