V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was told by a friend of mine to wax the bike and leave it on for the entire winter as part of stoarage. ALso told me to spray the whole motor and all chrome with WD40. Can any of you comment as to whether or not this is good advice?!?!?!?

Thanks!
Mark

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
FLSTNI said:
Hey guys,

I was told by a friend of mine to wax the bike and leave it on for the entire winter as part of stoarage. ALso told me to spray the whole motor and all chrome with WD40. Can any of you comment as to whether or not this is good advice?!?!?!?Thanks!Mark
Hum-m-m-m!! never heard of wax'n it before putt'n it up...course I never put my up. As far as spraying down the engine with WD40, I'd suggest, if you have a hanker'n to do that, you contact George and get a couple cans of Amsoil MP...MUCH better product, much!!!

o~\o

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
FLSTNI said:
Hey guys,

I was told by a friend of mine to wax the bike and leave it on for the entire winter as part of stoarage. ALso told me to spray the whole motor and all chrome with WD40. Can any of you comment as to whether or not this is good advice?!?!?!?

Thanks!
Mark
Never leave the residue from the wax on paint or chrome . This is only the carrier of the wax has no protective quality in of itself and any condensation will have a place to sit and attach. And will be a pain to remove if left on to long. Just wax as normal. WD-40 will not harm the chrome or engine but it can attract dust. But what do I know I ride mine during the winter:laugh:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Fxsts103ci said:
Never leave the residue from the wax on paint or chrome . This is only the carrier of the wax has no protective quality in of itself and any condensation will have a place to sit and attach. And will be a pain to remove if left on to long. Just wax as normal. WD-40 will not harm the chrome or engine but it can attract dust. But what do I know I ride mine during the winter:laugh:
Also when you do try to buff it off you will be buffing any accumulated dust, dirt, grime etc into your paint creating scratches. Buffing does not remove the wax so there is no benefit to leaving it unbuffed.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Crystal-Glo motorcycle polish. This stuff works great. If I were to ever store my bike I would use this along with the S-100 corrosion proctection.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Wow - news to me. I never heard of anybody doing that and I personally would not recommend it.

FLSTNI said:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Mark

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
The S100 corrosion protection works well. I used to use it all the time after washing but found that it really dulled my wax job. I think it's a good thing to spray on if you are leaving the bike alone for storage though.

·
Seasoned Rider
547 Posts
Geoff said:
Don't put wax or WD40 on a bike in storage. Just wash it and put her away clean.
I agree with your WD40 comment, but why do you think a wax job is a bad idea? Something mentioned above about not buffing off the wax before storage - this IS a bad idea.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Geoff said:
Don't put wax or WD40 on a bike in storage. Just wash it and put her away clean.
@gree: :yes:

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
ahhhhh bologna. ain't nuttin wrong with waxin before storing, just make sure it warm enough. and as far as the WD-40, ain't nuttin wrong with that either. just cover your paint before you go srayin. the WD will act as a great protectant against moisture, etc on chrome and any other part of the bike. oh and definitely buff the wax off per instuctions. crystal glo is a good product.
i say go fer it. i do! they make the WD in a BIG BLAST can just for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I believe WD40 is corrosive to aluminum and will "eat" rubber and plastic. I am meeting with our powder coat guy tomorrow, I wll ask him what WD will do to the powder coat on the jugs. I wouldn't spray WD on my bike, asside from the corrosion issue it will cause dust and dirt to stick and you will have to clean it off in the spring.
I think I'll start my first VTF thread "how do you winterize your bikes".

I know I'll be inviting guys from the south and west to brag that its sunny and 75 degrees and they ride all year. There will also be guys that say they ride all year, even in the snow.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Put it away clean and waxed. I would also suggest a Harley bubble. Keeps the bike dry and free from condensation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts