V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... for service?

I'll likely be buying my first Harley - a 2008 Road King - sometime in the not too distant future. I've stopped at both dealerships and have been equally impressed with the attentiveness and consideration at both. They both seem to sell at MSRP and so I'm not expecting the purchase experience to be much different between them.

But whoever I buy from, I'll be dealing with their service department for a long time, so I'd like to solicit opinions from you guys on which one consistently does the best wrenching.

I've done searches on both and - not surprisingly - have found a number of good and bad experiences for each (not surprising when you figure that among the thousands of individual customer interactions a dealer has every year, some number are bound to be less than stellar - even for the most sainted dealership).

Whitt's is closer (I'm in Warrenton), but Waugh's is close enough that I'd go there if the prevailing opinion says that they're best.

Patriot is off the table - didn't get a great vibe when I visited there. And I don't consider anyone else close enough.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - I know there's separate forum for dealer experiences - but figured the Delinquents would be able to provide a more targeted comparison between these two specific, local shops.

TIA.
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
Jager said:
... for service?

I'll likely be buying my first Harley - a 2008 Road King - sometime in the not too distant future. I've stopped at both dealerships and have been equally impressed with the attentiveness and consideration at both. They both seem to sell at MSRP and so I'm not expecting the purchase experience to be much different between them.

But whoever I buy from, I'll be dealing with their service department for a long time, so I'd like to solicit opinions from you guys on which one consistently does the best wrenching.

I've done searches on both and - not surprisingly - have found a number of good and bad experiences for each (not surprising when you figure that among the thousands of individual customer interactions a dealer has every year, some number are bound to be less than stellar - even for the most sainted dealership).

Whitt's is closer (I'm in Warrenton), but Waugh's is close enough that I'd go there if the prevailing opinion says that they're best.

Patriot is off the table - didn't get a great vibe when I visited there. And I don't consider anyone else close enough.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - I know there's separate forum for dealer experiences - but figured the Delinquents would be able to provide a more targeted comparison between these two specific, local shops.

TIA.
Welcome to our little hole in the wall...

I purchased at Whitts (got a really good deal in '04) and had a subsequent service or two done there, they at the time had a couple of very experienced techs, one of which had 30+ years experience. They have since gone seriously downhill from all I gather from fellow riders...sadly the same is true for Waugh's from the feedback I get. My suggestion to you is find a good indy for parts and maintenance, the price will be better as will the knowledge base from which they draw...you'll be dealing with folks that love motorcycles rather than with folks doing a job or better yet buy a manual and do your own maintenance...several of us here do all our own work including building motors and this forum has all the info someone could possibly need to maintain a bike!!!
 

·
Woo Hoo!
Joined
·
178 Posts
There's also Grove's Winchester HD. Can't speak for their service dept., never used them. Just another option. Probably the best option, buy the service manual and do it yourself.

jd
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Jeff;

Unfortunatly your going to find good and bad service just about everywhere you go. It all depends upon who you talk to. Of all the people I ride with, there is at least one person for every dealer that won't go back to their respective dealer. That icludes Whitts, Waughs, East Coast, Patriot and Washington HD. Groves and Shenandoah are probably the same way. Things get overlooked, mechanics get in a hurry, etc.. The best advise is don't trust any of them. Always inspect your bike before it goes in and when it comes out. And don't forget to check the fluids before you leave the dealer. I've had friends ride off only to find later there's no oil in the engine or primary. I've done all my own maintenance since the first two free services were completed and wouldn't have it any other way. The only time I take it to someone else is for a custom tune, or breakdown that is covered by warranty. I've also fixed two warranty issues myself because I didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks for an appointment. Good luck with your purchase.

Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
76 Posts
Wardog said:
If you do not purchase your bike at Waughs, they will not service it.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

I was at Waugh on Aug. 30th to pick up an SE Air Cleaner (they had 18 of them and the Richmond stores had none:dunno: ), and asked Bruce Slaughter, the service manager, if they had time to do a state inspection and a Stage 1 reflash.

I explained that I bought my bike in NC and needed a VA inspection.

He said no problem, and wrote the repair order. I was done in about 40 minutes.

I say that is great service.

I did buy two other bikes there a few years ago, but he didn't know that at the time. I don't go there very often as they're 80 miles away, but am treated like gold when I do stop in.

Waugh is good people.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Drew;

Your experience was out of the ordinary... I stopped in one day with a primary gasket leak to see about a fix. I had bought the bike at Waughs and it was still under the original 2 year warranty. I was told by Bruce that it would be 3 weeks for an appointment. I bought the gasket and took it home to do the repair myself in one hour.

Waugh's will service bikes purchased elsewhere, but there's only 2 ways that will happen. 1. Either it's a slow day and they can get you in, or 2. You make an appointment and wait for the day to come.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Let me elaborate. I purchased a 2004 Sportster from East Coast Hd. When it came time for my 1000 mile service I called the service department at Waugh, since I only live 15 miles from there. The first thing the person who answered the phone said it would be three weeks and I said no problem. The next thing he said was did I purchase the bike there and I said no. He then said that they were to busy servicing the bikes that they sold. I said thank you and have never ever called them again about servicing my bike. I will buy parts there when on sail but I will never buy a bike there or let them touch my bike. I can not say that this is a common practice there but that was my one and only experience with them. When I purchase my Electra Glide I went to Shenendoa HD which outdid them selves. Good luck with where ever you purchase the bike and get it serviced. I do recommend that you get a service manual for yourself and at least perform simple tasks for yourself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
76 Posts
I'm seriously sorry that you guys (y'all?) have had unsatisfactory experiences at Waugh; mabe I'm the exception, rather than the rule.

Maybe I just hit them on a good day, but I've always been treated well there.

My apologies for derailing this thread; I've never done business woth Whitt's, only Waugh (and the Richmond stores- North, South, and Colonial). With the exception of the stellar treatment I received at J&E in Winterville, NC, and my noted experiences at Waugh, it seems like most dealers are mediocre, at best.
 

·
Ghost Rider - IronButt
Joined
·
480 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Welcome to our little hole in the wall...

I purchased at Whitts (got a really good deal in '04) and had a subsequent service or two done there, they at the time had a couple of very experienced techs, one of which had 30+ years experience. They have since gone seriously downhill from all I gather from fellow riders...sadly the same is true for Waugh's from the feedback I get. My suggestion to you is find a good indy for parts and maintenance, the price will be better as will the knowledge base from which they draw...you'll be dealing with folks that love motorcycles rather than with folks doing a job or better yet buy a manual and do your own maintenance...several of us here do all our own work including building motors and this forum has all the info someone could possibly need to maintain a bike!!!
Glad to see that no one put East Coast on the table! All the comments regarding the local dealer service departments are so true. After my initial East Coast and Whitt's experiences, I forced myself to open the service manual and started to turn wrenchs on my own bike. It's been three years since my bike has seen the inside of any dealership and I'm a happier rider for it. Ok, off my soapbox. I have heard good things about the dealership in Frederick, MD.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll definitely buy a service manual and do as much of the work myself as I can.

I was encouraged when I was down at Waugh's on Saturday, talking to one of the sales guys, and I asked about the service interval for valve and throttle body adjustments - and he pointed out that HD uses hydraulic valve actuation. I didn't know that and was delighted to hear it. That's the biggest headache on my BMW R bike (6K comes way too often).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
I'm thinkin' of taking my bike to NDC (NoVA Delinquent Cycles).
Though, the techs are nuttier then fruit cakes, they are willing to take the time to do the job as right as possibly.
The only problem is, as a courtesy, you should feed 'um and provide a beverage of their choice for assisting you with your bike - THAT is what cost the most $$$-those guys can put away some 'groceries'!

...just sayin'
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
Timmy_D said:
I'm thinkin' of taking my bike to NDC (NoVA Delinquent Cycles).
Though, the techs are nuttier then fruit cakes, they are willing to take the time to do the job as right as possibly.
The only problem is, as a courtesy, you should feed 'um and provide a beverage of their choice for assisting you with your bike - THAT is what cost the most $$$-those guys can put away some 'groceries'!

...just sayin'
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: NDC indeed...but we can put away some vittles and if you have food we will make house calls!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: That's a classic Tim. As a patch carrying member of the NDC, I'm proud to resemble that remark. :thumbsup:

Did someone say Food ? :whisper:
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
mbkodiak said:
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: That's a classic Tim. As a patch carrying member of the NDC, I'm proud to resemble that remark. :thumbsup: National Dairy Council???? :blink:

Did someone say Food ? :whisper:
Speaking of which (food) are you gonna make it to DelMarVa? meanbean is cooking Saturday and he may need a head count!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
John; I was hoping to make at least a day trip, but now the bike's dead. I don't know if it's the Battery, Voltage regulator or Stator. Some friends came and picked us up with a trailer. I'll look into it tomorrow, but if it's not the battery then I'll use the $50.00 deductible and make them fix it. I'm not thinking it will be back before Saturday. I'll know more late tomorrow. :thumbsdn: Not looking good for the RV show or Delmarva.
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
mbkodiak said:
John; I was hoping to make at least a day trip, but now the bike's dead. I don't know if it's the Battery, Voltage regulator or Stator. Some friends came and picked us up with a trailer. I'll look into it tomorrow, but if it's not the battery then I'll use the $50.00 deductible and make them fix it. I'm not thinking it will be back before Saturday. I'll know more late tomorrow. :thumbsdn: Not looking good for the RV show or Delmarva.
Bummer...good luck!!!
 

·
Yet another 43 Double D
Joined
·
626 Posts
Nearly there

We'll expect to be there mid morning and will call John when we get there.

Mike very sorry to hear your bike is sick, never enough baggers around when the Delinquents gather, just saying...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Once again, South Richmond HD is coming through. Spoke with them an hour ago and the problem is the Stator. The part is in stock and they're calling HD for the warranty authroization. Could have it back by this evening. :thumbsup: If not, then we'll pick it up in the am.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top