V-Twin Forum banner

Water in Trans Oil

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  wkohn 
#1 ·
Last night I started the Reduced Effort Clutch kit installation. When I drained the trans oil, the first fluid out was water. :whoa! I'm decanting the fluid in a clear bottle. Seems to be about a half-ounce of water. Is this typical?

'03 FXD. 11,000 miles. Standard HD trans oil. First change since 1000 mile check.

Could the water have gotten in while riding six days in the rain at Laconia?

#3 ·
FXD-Tim said:
Last night I started the Reduced Effort Clutch kit installation. When I drained the trans oil, the first fluid out was water. :whoa! I'm decanting the fluid in a clear bottle. Seems to be about a half-ounce of water. Is this typical?

'03 FXD. 11,000 miles. Standard HD trans oil. First change since 1000 mile check.

It is just condensation. When ever you have a difference of 7 degrees in temp outside and a gearbox you will get it. Engines tend to boil most of it off but will have some also. Should also see some in your primary.

#4 ·
Ed Y said:
Probably just condensation. Have you done a lot of short trips lately or been cranking the bike in the garage for short periods??
Have ridden 5 times in Jan. Shortest trip was 15 miles at highway speed.

#5 ·
Agree with the others, just condensation. Have noticed over the years people cranking their bikes in the shop/garage to let 'em warm up for a few minutes. That will cause condensation to build up and as others stated, short trips.

If you are getting moisture/water in your trans case from just riding in the rain, you have bigger problems. Can't happen under normal riding.

o~\o

#6 ·
I have not been starting it in the garage, but maybe 15 miles isn't long enough to boil off the water. I'll keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the feedback.

#7 ·
as i never pay as much attention to my trans as my engine, can anyone tell me how hot it gets. all i have noticed is when i do an oil change, i never burn my hand on either the gearbox casing or the oil while it is draining out, so wondering about evaporating off condensation (which i don't seem to get btw)
92 flstf chic magnet 89000 km

#8 ·
bonnie john said:
as i never pay as much attention to my trans as my engine, can anyone tell me how hot it gets. all i have noticed is when i do an oil change, i never burn my hand on either the gearbox casing or the oil while it is draining out, so wondering about evaporating off condensation (which i don't seem to get btw)
92 flstf chic magnet 89000 km
Have no idea.

#9 ·
FXD-Tim said:

I posted a thread a while ago concerning this problem on my buddies '04 EG Standard. He sez while changing the tranny oil about 1/2 cup of water came out of the hole before the oil. He's got 45,000 miles. Some members suggested he was power washing it too often. He never power washes it. He never rides in the rain and it was in the middle of last summer when it happened so it wasn't condensation.

#11 · (Edited)
FXD-Tim said:

It is normal. Doubt it was from the rain. Isn't from a washing unless you have the filler not in or loose. It is chemistry. A difference of 7 degrees between a humid atmosphere and internal temperature of the transmission will produce condensation. Now since water will drop and mix with the oil until it all stops moving. At that point the water will settle out and collect at the bottom of the oil tank because of it being heavier than oil. Hence forth and hither too, it will come out first when draining the transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.