V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a water condition in the speedometers of both my 04RK, and 04FXST after washing down or rain riding. The moisture seems to never go away and is very noticeable on the lens glass when riding in hot weather. I have heard of others complaing about this before. Is there a cure??. Dealer was no help.................. Thanks Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
The word I keep hearing about this is "normal." I think there was a long thread about this over on the RK Forum. You might do a search there.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Nipperdog said:
I have a water condition in the speedometers of both my 04RK, and 04FXST after washing down or rain riding. The moisture seems to never go away and is very noticeable on the lens glass when riding in hot weather. I have heard of others complaing about this before. Is there a cure??. Dealer was no help.................. Thanks Ride Safe.

The dealers response in every case is it's not covered. Harley factory response is park it inthe direct sunlight for 6 to 8 hours, my response after buying 4 different factory New and improved versions at around 287.00 ea. was finally.......Dakota digital! Beautiful unit and No More Trouble!! It will never completely dry out and even if it does mostly it leaves a stained interior glass, and ultimately destrys the speedo face.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
You'll be surprised alright

john cap said:
send a letter to Harley............... you might be surprised.
When the good folk at the MoCo tell ya they ain't gonna do a blessed thang about it.......push it out in the sunlight and let it dry out...What a crock of horse apples....Even the new 'spun' aluminum do it too......

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I was told by my dealer that its normal because the guage is not waterproof.
The Moco will only warrenty this if it becomes unreadable.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
And believe me it will! after the warranty runs out! I have replaced mine a number of times then switched to the Dakota digital. They even custom made me a matching gas gauge for my Dyna so the too gauges matched. They look SWEEEEEET! and no more trouble! Plug and play! Put em all my bikes now. 3rd mod on list....Pipes, air cleaner, gauge!

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
My old Virago had the same problem. I put the guage in the oven for a couple hours , I think I set the oven at 125 degrees. Then I put some clear silicone around the bezel. Problem solved.

·
Registered
338 Posts
water

i used to get that after washing in my fuel gage but it would go away after a few warm days my solution is to almost never wash it and use a product like the bom

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
meanbean said:
My old Virago had the same problem. I put the guage in the oven for a couple hours , I think I set the oven at 125 degrees. Then I put some clear silicone around the bezel. Problem solved.

Mmm, speedometer. A bit crunchy, but the miles you can get out of a meal like this. hahaha

I have never had trouble with my speedometer once I changed to the all in one Speedo-Tach unit that was made by an aftermarket but sold through HD catalog so it has HD logo on it and is considered a "HD" part.

I still get water / moisture in my fuel and that is why I am going to change to teh digital fuel gauge. I hate the moisture and I think it is crazy that HD releases the gauges non-sealed from weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts