V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Dudes and Duddettes,
While out riding our E-Glides yesterday, my buddy tells me he had just changed his crankcase, primary, and transmission oils. He then tells me while draining his tranny, a bunch of WATER drained out before the oil started. He seemed unconcerned. I suggested that he possible could have some bad seals which is letting water enter when he washes it or when it rains. He sez since it doesn't leak onto his floor, he isn't gonna worry about it. I told him he wuz NUTZ........What do you guys think? He's convinced that all that water is just 'condensation'. I've never had any water drain out of my tranny, yet.
Thanx guys.......Krayven

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Never heard of such a thing but hey anything is possible. One source could be the Clutch cable. If the boot covering the adjustment section has a tear or is installed wrong, it could be trapping water and running into the trans.
Generally, if the bike is ridden long enough for the trans to come up to temp, the water vaporizes and is expelled out the vent tube in the trans. This is what happens to the normal condensation.
If all he does is make short trips and never gets the bike up to temp, there cound be water build up, but a "bunch" seems strange.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'll chime in on this one.

I had water too in my trans. When I went to pull the clutch cable cover off to install my Pro-Pipe some water came out of the trans. HMMMMMMM?? I really haven't thought much about it, figured I'll look on my next service to see if there is any more that comes out.

I ride at least 40 miles each time I go out, and I wash my bike with a regular garden hose.

darrell

H

·
0 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind would be if the "U" shaped vent tube went missing, you'd have an opening that water could get in easily.

Harris

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
What does he use to lube his clutch cable and how often does he do it? If he uses a lot of something that could look like water after it's been churned in the tranny it could be that. The clutch cable is a direct route to the tranny as Harris said. Other than that I agree with Harris, torn adjuster boot or missing J vent.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Few times ago had lots of moisture foam.moisture in tranny and primary, was extremely humid out. Never seen it sence. Don't know if that could do it or not. This time of year probably not a problem.

I've heard people mention vent.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you guys (gals) using synthetic oil? if so, it will not mix with any type of condensation and it appears that you will build up a water situation especially if your bike is ridden in colder humid weather and never really get warm enough to drive out.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Are you sure it was water or just a lighter colored foamy/milky looking part of the oil. If you had just ridden it and drained it, it could be due to simple aeration of the oil. After draining it let it sit awhile and see if the foam dissipates.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for the responds

I told my pal all of this info provided and he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'so'. He has a '04 Classic EG with about 50,000 miles on it. He doesn't care for it very well. It looks as tho it wuz about 20 years old. It hasn't seen the inside of a shop since 5,000 miles and the guy is not mechanically inclined.
I don't think he evens owns a jack. But, I did what I could do....Thanx again.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Rattpac said:
Are you guys (gals) using synthetic oil? if so, it will not mix with any type of condensation and it appears that you will build up a water situation especially if your bike is ridden in colder humid weather and never really get warm enough to drive out.
water and oil never mix, best they can do is an emulsion which always separates after some time. Syn is no different no matter what brand......:laugh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts