V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rumor yesterday that all HD motors will be watercooled in 2010, 2009 will be the last year for a aircooled v-twin. Has anyone heard this?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Please say it isnt so! Air cooled V twins are the hallmark of Harley Davidson pride and tradition.

G

·
Everyone has heard it. The "year" is interchangeable. The truth is, no one knows, and anyone who says they do is lying. H-D's only "official" position is that they have the technology to continue the air-cooled motor - meeting EPA rules - for the foreseeable future; and they intend to do so.

Harris

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I think my weed eater puts out more emissions than my Harley.

I wonder when they're all going to be converted to 'lectric.

·
Registered
100 Posts
czar said:
I think my weed eater puts out more emissions than my Harley.

I wonder when they're all going to be converted to 'lectric.
The Harleys or the Weedeaters???

Would an oil cooled engine be considered liquid cooled????

Last time I checked oil is considered a liquid.:huh:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
...I meant converting the weed eaters to electric.

You know it the future we'll all have one of those ENV bikes with the hydrogen fuel cell.

(Remember this from a post long ago? ENV Motorcycle)

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
EPA regs

I wonder if building a custom bike that burned Ethanol (alcohol) would cut any ice with the EPA. Alcohol fueled cars used to be exempt (or so i thought)...any one have any intelligent thought on this? Saw something on cable regarding production of Ethanol in Brazil using sugar as the base. Showed their cars able to run on Ethanol or Gasoline. Said main by-product of burning in internal combustion engine was Carbon Dioxide. Just wondering....

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
1bdBagr said:
I wonder if building a custom bike that burned Ethanol (alcohol) would cut any ice with the EPA. Alcohol fueled cars used to be exempt (or so i thought)...any one have any intelligent thought on this? Saw something on cable regarding production of Ethanol in Brazil using sugar as the base. Showed their cars able to run on Ethanol or Gasoline. Said main by-product of burning in internal combustion engine was Carbon Dioxide. Just wondering....

Not a bad idea, but there is no substitute for the energy content in hydrocarbons. By the time you burn enough ethanol to get the equivalent amount of energy you've created just as much waste (if not more) as if you'd just stayed with gas. This is the same fallacy behind adding ethanol to gas now.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
wyodude said:
Not a bad idea, but there is no substitute for the energy content in hydrocarbons. By the time you burn enough ethanol to get the equivalent amount of energy you've created just as much waste (if not more) as if you'd just stayed with gas. This is the same fallacy behind adding ethanol to gas now.
That may be true but the increased use of ethanol has the potential to reduce the use of gas or at least make it go farther. Plus ethanol is easily nenewable, oil is not.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
1bdBagr said:
The problem with an alcohol bike would be operating range. Alcohol motors run between 6.0:1 and 4.0:1 AFR. So if you would'nt mind a 40 mile range or a really wierd looking bike with a 25 gallon tank..I guess it would be ok!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Love the one your with!

Just like the old song says,

"You have to love the one your with"!

I'm keeping all my air cooled babies. The oldest is a 98. Until they make a water cooled harley that looks, sounds and peforms exactly like my air cooled versions, I'm not budging. The V-Rod doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
VROD Electra Glide

Now wait a minute...wouldn't it be nice if HD put a VROD motor in a Dresser chassis? I think that will be the bike we will see soon...and the year?

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I just don't like the V Rod. No offense to anyone, it's just my opinion. I agree, it would be nice to appeal to a larger group with a tourer. If I wanted a V-Rod, I'd have bought a *** bike. I LOVE my old design push rod activated air cooled Harleys. I can also see why Harley leaned that way, as a bunch of us, myself definately included are an aging older school breed!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Matt Hotch makes a nic elooking V-Rod. Nor sure if the wife would let me cough up the 1/4 mil. he turned down for it though:)

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
dwarthog said:
I say put the destroyer motor in a touring bike!

:thumbsup:

If they can get enough torque down low, I'd give it a try ;)

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
SYCLONE said:
The problem with an alcohol bike would be operating range. Alcohol motors run between 6.0:1 and 4.0:1 AFR. So if you would'nt mind a 40 mile range or a really wierd looking bike with a 25 gallon tank..I guess it would be ok!

That's true. Years back scrambles racing in Southern Califoirnia was done with pure alcohol fuel. Jetting was 2 to 2 1/2 times larger to get performance. The power was astonishng but the air sure stank after a race. It would make your eyes burn, along with the sweet smell of the Castrol "R" (Bean) oil.

I'm not sure that pure alcohol would be cost-effective...remember, it takes energy of some sort to make it as well. Right now, at least in California we have about 10% of some sort of alcohol already in with the gasoline.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
rickr01 said:
I just don't like the V Rod. No offense to anyone, it's just my opinion. I agree, it would be nice to appeal to a larger group with a tourer. If I wanted a V-Rod, I'd have bought a *** bike. I LOVE my old design push rod activated air cooled Harleys. I can also see why Harley leaned that way, as a bunch of us, myself definately included are an aging older school breed!
Yeah, the V-Rod is interesting but I'd never ever buy one. If they put that engine in a touring bike, the Metric or Euro machines will start looking better to many of us.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.